• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The N Word [W:27]

Dapper Andy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is anyone else watching The N Word on CNN?

I think the network has sunk to an all time low with this garbage.

N word, you say?

In all seriousness, is it a shock to anyone what Obama has succeeded in doing?

He's set the table to put himself, the Democrats, minorities, homosexuals, guilt ridden white's who hold an affinity for the down trodden, the oppressed, the weak on one end and the GOP's white, middle and upper class traditional families clinging on for dear life to their bible's and their guns on the other.

CNN is merely playing its part... agent provocateur...

Last edited:
So CNN had a meeting with all the managers and decided of all the ides offered up for the name of a show THIS one, "The N Word" is the best idea! I wonder why their ratings are rock bottom. I guess "Chuckin"N Jivin" came in second just ahead of the "Watermelon & Fried Chicken Show".

I was watching, and stopped watching not long after the participants all agreed that the word "Cracker" was not a racist term. I agreed with them on many if not all points and positions, especially that the "C" word does not come close to the level of hatred and vitriolic background or origins/use/purpose as the word the title of the program was based upon, but then they lost me. How many people that use the "C" word would have ever heard the story they purported as the etymology of the term? I would have to presume not too many. I've never heard that story before.

Racism is racism. Regardless of from whom it originates, or the form in which it is manifested.

I was watching, and stopped watching not long after the participants all agreed that the word "Cracker" was not a racist term. I agreed with them on many if not all points and positions, especially that the "C" word does not come close to the level of hatred and vitriolic background or origins/use/purpose as the word the title of the program was based upon, but then they lost me. How many people that use the "C" word would have ever heard the story they purported as the etymology of the term? I would have to presume not too many. I've never heard that story before.

Racism is racism. Regardless of from whom it originates, or the form in which it is manifested.

The difference is, I'm white and I couldn't care less if someone called me a "cracker." It'd just think it was funny.

There is no social stigma against being white in the United States.

Historically, there has been a social stigma against blacks, and some would argue that stigma still exists today.

So you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you're white and you want to experience racism, move to Japan for a year.

The difference is, I'm white and I couldn't care less if someone called me a "cracker." It'd just think it was funny.

Historically, there has been a social stigma against blacks, and some would argue that stigma still exists today.

So you're comparing apples to

I don't think there's a word for whites that comes even CLOSE to nigger for blacks. I remember being absolutely shocked that my grandparents (Italian) were completely and totally offended by the word dago. I just couldn't believe it. But, then, I didn't walk in their shoes when Italians were the lowest of the low on the immigration totem pole. Plain old ordinary white people of the Heinz 57 variety have nothing to compare it to. The closest whites might come to being as offensive would probably be kike, dago, pollock, camel jockey, etc. Any one of those words are prolly "fightin' words" to the right people. Heinz 57's have no such comparison.

I will say over and over and over again that I think blacks' use of the word is inappropriate and wrong. And "The N Word" is but a shorthand, so it's just as bad. But that's just me, I guess.

You make good and sound points. And that's why I stated that the one word was not comparable to the other. The level of vitriol attached to a word or its historical use doesn't make it any less racist. The action of, and purpose for using, the word (the "C" word) makes it racist. It is a derogatory term, based on race, which is one of the defining points of a racist word.

That is my only point in that regard. Not that you or me or many others would be taken aback if called that, but that the word itself is racist in intent and use. I've been called that many times. Most of which I did as you said and laughed it off, because it was used by my friends in jest. But there was one time, when I had a gun pointed at me at a gas station in Houston, when I knew it was not in jest at all and meant exactly as it was used.

For instance, if a woman is called "Hysterical" or a "B" (rhymes with witch) it is sexist. But if she is called the other "C" word (rhymes with punt), then the level of sexism has been raised to a dangerously ugly level.

Similarly if a white person is called "Whitey" or "Cracker" or other derogatory term then its a lower level of racism than the word the CNN special discussed, but still racism.

I despise all words like these. They are only used by people that do not have the vocabulary to describe their thoughts properly, or lack the education level to understand that all people should be treated with respect and only judged based on their actions, and not their race, ethnicity, religion, education level, etc.

I don't think there's a word for whites that comes even CLOSE to nigger for blacks. I remember being absolutely shocked that my grandparents (Italian) were completely and totally offended by the word dago. I just couldn't believe it. But, then, I didn't walk in their shoes when Italians were the lowest of the low on the immigration totem pole. Plain old ordinary white people of the Heinz 57 variety have nothing to compare it to. The closest whites might come to being as offensive would probably be kike, dago, pollock, camel jockey, etc. Any one of those words are prolly "fightin' words" to the right people. Heinz 57's have no such comparison.

I will say over and over and over again that I think blacks' use of the word is inappropriate and wrong. And "The N Word" is but a shorthand, so it's just as bad. But that's just me, I guess.

Maggie, If you haven't already done so, I suggest you watch the video in post #6.

There's no social stigma with being black, either.

I've never heard the term "Heinz 57" before.... good one!

I'm Italian as well. It works both ways I guess. My Italian family will be the first to tell you how much better Italians are than other Europeans, dating all the way back to the Romans. They'll tell you how other Europeans would still be running around naked in the forest if the Romans hadn't civilized them and taught them to read, write, and form governments. They'll tell you how Italians have the highest IQ on average of any European country (the Asians have us beat), and how Leonardo Da Vinci was the smartest human being ever to live. They'll tell you how we invented the Renaissance, how we invented most of the fine arts including opera, and how today, Italians are responsible for the best of the best: the best soccer in the world, the best cars (Ferrari and Lamborghini), the best clothes (Gucci, Armani, Prada, Versace), etc etc etc.

Trust me, if there's one thing Italians aren't missing, it's an ego!

As a member of the latest minority group, since we white not Hispanics (WNH for short) are now a minority in California, let me just say that the N word that best applies to racists of all colors is "nutcase."

And if that other N word is so bad, so much worse than the C word, the H word, the D word, or any of many we have invented to pretend that a group of people is somehow inferior to the rest of us, why is it that the rappers use it with impunity?

There's no social stigma with being black, either.

Unless you're in the wrong part of the country.

I grew up in the MS Delta, and my fellow whites there are almost as racist as they were forty years ago. In April of 2011, a poll showed that 46% of MS Republicans still believed that interracial marriage should be banned. It's so easy to get them to show it, too. All one has to do is to act in a noncommittal way, and sooner or later the whites - including my own family - will open up with the N-word and all the n-word jokes and all the anecdotes about why n-words are the lowest form of life on earth.

Okay? So don't feed us this claptrap about "there's no social stigma with being black" - that's just another example of willful denial: "if I say it doesn't exist, then maybe it really doesn't exist!"

I concur.

The Japanese meet the true definition as being racist. They believe that the Japanese race is superior to all other races. But they look at Germanic Europeans as being just below them. So you can guess what they think of Koreans or who's at the bottom of the totem pole.

Is anyone else watching The N Word on CNN?

I think the network has sunk to an all time low with this garbage.

is it the doc HBO put together? Kinda ****ty, IMO

I grew up in the MS Delta, and my fellow whites there are almost as racist as they were forty years ago. In April of 2011, a poll showed that 46% of MS Republicans still believed that interracial marriage should be banned. It's so easy to get them to show it, too. All one has to do is to act in a noncommittal way, and sooner or later the whites - including my own family - will open up with the N-word and all the n-word jokes and all the anecdotes about why n-words are the lowest form of life on earth.

Okay? So don't feed us this claptrap about "there's no social stigma with being black" - that's just another example of willful denial: "if I say it doesn't exist, then maybe it really doesn't exist!"

Where you say you come from is an equal opportunity hater. There is a stigma there if you are catholic, Jewish, Black, nothern or just about anyone not born in Ms.

I grew up in Central Louisiana and I have a nunber of relatives that have disowned me for marrying a white girl.

The only time there's s social stigma with being black, is when a black person acts like a dumb ass. When someone walks around in public withe their pants on the bottom of their ass, sure, there's going be a stigma.

I grew up in Central Louisiana and I have a nunber of relatives that have disowned me for marrying a white girl.

The only time there's s social stigma with being black, is when a black person acts like a dumb ass. When someone walks around in public withe their pants on the bottom of their ass, sure, there's going be a stigma.

Going on your word that you're not white - and I really have my doubts about that - what you're doing is ignoring my words about the social stigma that I saw, that I to an extent participated in - for I used to be one of those racists. I know how racists think...and thank God I now know how wrong they are. But the fact that I still to this day fight against the ghost of my own racism doesn't mean that I don't know racist dog whistles when I hear them.

Who knows - maybe you are being quite truthful about your race and your experience (Clarence Thomas is a great example of a black conservative who doesn't seem to mind how his rulings hurt his own people) - but to say that there's no stigma against blacks is either willful denial or sheer naivete. All one need do is read a story called "Black Like Me".

As a member of the latest minority group, since we white not Hispanics (WNH for short) are now a minority in California, let me just say that the N word that best applies to racists of all colors is "nutcase."

And if that other N word is so bad, so much worse than the C word, the H word, the D word, or any of many we have invented to pretend that a group of people is somehow inferior to the rest of us, why is it that the rappers use it with impunity?

I'm OK with adding to the list.

I think people would do well to spend less time worrying about words and more time worrying about actions.

People want to say that nigger should be able to be said by white people because it is not negative. Unfortunately words have context. Only some of that is in the meaning of the person who said them. The rest is in the society that it was said in and in the perceptions of those who heard it. I could forgive a person who is ignorant of the english language like a child or a foreigner for saying nigger, but a elderly southern white lady using it has a context that undeniably racist. You cannot just look at the word without taking into account it's entire context. When used by paula deen it is a word she admits she was raised hearing and using and that is indoctrinated racism. Just because it is normal for her does not mean it is not there. Just because she does not wish to toss around slurs that hurt people does not mean her words do not offend.

We have things called manners and respect. They are ways that we communicate while trying to remove any offensive terms. I chose to have manners and respect towards black people and this involves recognizing that the use of the word nigger by a white person like myself is offensive and therefor i chose another word unless i mean to offend. It is not up to me to decide how another person feels. There are neutral terms which I can and should use if my purpose is not to offend. That is why, despite swearing a lot, the term nigger is often not used by me. It is a very specific word for a very specific insult which i almost never have cause to say. I cannot say that there would not be a time where i would chose to call someone a nigger for the sake of offending them. However, because of the nature of the word and how it is perceived by others and the context of my use of it I do not chose it even though i often am a complete asshole to some people.

When you communicate it is not just your intended meaning which has to be taken into account but also the interpretation of the person you are directing it too, and even those people who may hear it who it is not intended for as they too will be part of the effect.

Going on your word that you're not white - and I really have my doubts about that

You've been here for .... less than a month and you already noticed that too huh?

You've been here for .... less than a month and you already noticed that too huh?

:)

I think what got my attention was his claim that he was black, very conservative, and raised in a small town in Louisiana. If he were black, he'd know that the reason that his family might be against him dating a white girl is because in the small-town South, a black guy dating a white girl is even today putting his life into his own hands. He and his family would know without a doubt that someday he might wind up dead and the local (nearly always white) authorities would just claim it was another example of black-on-black violence. That's the way it is in the deepest parts of the Deep South.

Back
Top Bottom