• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The N Word [W:27]

:)

I think what got my attention was his claim that he was black, very conservative, and raised in a small town in Louisiana. If he were black, he'd know that the reason that his family might be against him dating a white girl is because in the small-town South, a black guy dating a white girl is even today putting his life into his own hands. He and his family would know without a doubt that someday he might wind up dead and the local (nearly always white) authorities would just claim it was another example of black-on-black violence. That's the way it is in the deepest parts of the Deep South.

Yep, that's basically how I saw it. It's not like he's never heard of Emmitt Till. Then again, he's not really well versed in his civil rights history. This is the part I like:

I grew up in Central Louisiana and I have a nunber of relatives that have disowned me for marrying a white girl.

He doesn't really realize that they didn't disown him for marrying a white person, they disowned him for pretty much taking a dump on their perception of race. if he'd married a Chinese girl, I doubt an eye would have been batted. But a white girl? 40 years ago there were still enough people in the South who would have called that grounds for a lynching. And yet, he's completely oblivious to how they would perceive such a relationship given Louisiana's history of racism. As such, his claim he's black and from a small town in Louisiana is highly unlikely.

As I've read his posts, I've come to the conclusion vthat at best he's some white college kid trying to prove he's black by being simply a contrarian. At worst, he's actually a self hating black guy who grew up far away from Louisiana. He's somewhere in his 40s (as per his posts) and yet he doesn't understand why black people in the South would have a problem with him marrying a white person? Yer stretchin' mate.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:
Stick to the topic, which is not other posters.

I still say that anyone who thinks "cracker" is not a racist term is somewhere between ignorant and a flat-out liar.

Racism is determined by the origin, not the destination. I don't find it offensive if a black person calls me a "cracker", but to say that it doesn't have racist applications is just plain stupid.

By that logic, all I have to do is find a black person out there I can call a nigger and he says "yeah, so what?", and I can legitimately proclaim that it's not a racist term heretofore.

People want to say that nigger should be able to be said by white people because it is not negative. Unfortunately words have context. Only some of that is in the meaning of the person who said them. The rest is in the society that it was said in and in the perceptions of those who heard it. I could forgive a person who is ignorant of the english language like a child or a foreigner for saying nigger, but a elderly southern white lady using it has a context that undeniably racist. You cannot just look at the word without taking into account it's entire context. When used by paula deen it is a word she admits she was raised hearing and using and that is indoctrinated racism. Just because it is normal for her does not mean it is not there. Just because she does not wish to toss around slurs that hurt people does not mean her words do not offend.

We have things called manners and respect. They are ways that we communicate while trying to remove any offensive terms. I chose to have manners and respect towards black people and this involves recognizing that the use of the word nigger by a white person like myself is offensive and therefor i chose another word unless i mean to offend. It is not up to me to decide how another person feels. There are neutral terms which I can and should use if my purpose is not to offend. That is why, despite swearing a lot, the term nigger is often not used by me. It is a very specific word for a very specific insult which i almost never have cause to say. I cannot say that there would not be a time where i would chose to call someone a nigger for the sake of offending them. However, because of the nature of the word and how it is perceived by others and the context of my use of it I do not chose it even though i often am a complete asshole to some people.

When you communicate it is not just your intended meaning which has to be taken into account but also the interpretation of the person you are directing it too, and even those people who may hear it who it is not intended for as they too will be part of the effect.

No one is saying that.

You've been here for .... less than a month and you already noticed that too huh?

Hatuey was chief of a caribbean tribe that took on the invading Spaniards in the early 16th century. He is considered Cuba's first hero because he was successful (for a while) against the Spaniards and probably would have driven them off the island if he had had more support from the native population. In the end, all the indians in Cuba were slaughtered by the Spaniards. When I was a kid in Cuba, Hatuey was the brand of a popular beer there and I remember the commercials vividly, even though I was too young to drink beer. I can't help but think that the poster's roots go back to the island somewhere.

Hatuey was chief of a caribbean tribe that took on the invading Spaniards in the early 16th century. He is considered Cuba's first hero because he was successful (for a while) against the Spaniards and probably would have driven them off the island if he had had more support from the native population. In the end, all the indians in Cuba were slaughtered by the Spaniards. When I was a kid in Cuba, Hatuey was the brand of a popular beer there and I remember the commercials vividly, even though I was too young to drink beer. I can't help but think that the poster's roots go back to the island somewhere.

My wife is Cuban.

Back
Top Bottom