• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Myth of Yeshua Ben Jacob [W:314]

Like I've always said, you liberal types do love your THEORIES ("...may be a Christian interpolation.."). Hope springs eternal, LOL. It's a shame you don't have any EVIDENCE to support your latest theory.

You do love those left-wing loons I seen.

Last edited:

Educated people seem like loons to you? No surprise there.

What happened to that prophecy that you believed? The one about Obama cancelling the election and holding on to power? Nothing loony about that.

In post #690, non-Logicman wrote:
The martyrdom of James was part of the purge of Christians. Apparently you can't see the forest for the trees.

Once again I will post the words of Josephus:
Please tell the reading audience why the "most equitable of the citizens (of Jerusalem)" would complain to the king about the execution of James if it was simply "part of the purge of Christians".

I know it doesn't comply with what you have been taught and cling so tightly to but it was what it was and NOT any part of a "purge of Christians"

There was always a remnant (minority) of good Jews in Israel (i.e. Joseph of Arimathea, etc.), but they weren't running things at the time of Christ and beyond.

Glad to help you out.

Neo-creationist, your comment only provides evidence that the blood on the Shroud was that of a scourged Jesus. You did not watch the video(s) I see. That point was even mentioned in the TED Talk video by the Orthodox Jewish raised guy that became non-religious. Not that I expected you to watch the videos but they are there with science information. Not that you neo-creationist will accept science. Blood darkens--even over a day--that is true (as mentioned in the TED Talk video) but trauma victims flooded with a certain chemical found in their blood (which was found in the blood on the Shroud) remains red forever.

What!!? I am an atheist.

There was always a remnant (minority) of good Jews in Israel (i.e. Joseph of Arimathea, etc.), but they weren't running things at the time of Christ and beyond.

Glad to help you out.

Seriously, you see that "remnant (minority)" as inconsequential, yet for some reason, they were able to have Ananus removed from the position of High Priest and Jesus was then named to the role? Also, please remember that this took place some THIRTY YEARS after the supposed resurrection.

You aren't even helping yourself, much less any other person.

Tell that to Daniel and the 'good' (minority) remnant of Jews, who went along with the rest of the Jews into captivity in Babylon for 70 years.

So get a better argument, Somerville.

Tell that to Daniel and the 'good' (minority) remnant of Jews, who went along with the rest of the Jews into captivity in Babylon for 70 years.

So get a better argument, Somerville.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt but some folks simply refuse to acknowledge their lack of information when reality bumps into their beliefs.

20 years of arguing with "Christ deniers" does not appear to have increased your knowledge of history or any religious beliefs other than your own. Sad, really.

Have you ever won the "Jesus isn't raised from the dead" argument, Somerville? I've never see a victory from you on that. Oh, you huff and puff and try to blow the house down, but nothing of substance.

Get a new dog.

Have you ever won the "Jesus isn't raised from the dead" argument, Somerville? I've never see a victory from you on that. Oh, you huff and puff and try to blow the house down, but nothing of substance.

Get a new dog.

The bible is not evidence. Your dog die a long time ago.

Get a new dog.

One cannot 'win' an argument with a person who prefers faith over reality. There is zero evidence outside of your sacred text and in fact, the oldest text of the Book of Mark, which is the oldest Gospel, does not have a resurrection. The final verses with the resurrection and subsequent appearances were added to Mark in the late 4th Century.

Here are a couple paragraphs from yet another "liberal loon", James Tabor, Ph D
The verses - Mark 16:9-19 - contain the more "accepted" ending. Just one instance of many showing that the modern New Testament is not a true representation of what was originally written in the late 1st - early 2nd Centuries.

One cannot 'win' an argument with a person who prefers faith over reality.

I have the historical texts. You have unworkable arguments to the contrary.

Nice try.

1. Matthew is arguably the oldest: Sometime after 244 AD Origen wrote, "Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a publican, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, and it was prepared for the converts from Judaism and published in the Hebrew language"

2. Jesus is Risen in Mark 16:6, before the so-called 'addition' staring at Mark 16:9.

Jesus is Risen indeed!

Last edited:

Actually, we don't know if Origen wrote those words because we only have Eusebius's supposed quote from Origen. Your and your church's opinion that Matthew is the oldest is not supported by the vast majority of Biblical scholars. You also have that problem where Origen supposedly wrote that the Gospel was written in Hebrew, which is also not supported by the majority of people who actually have studied the history and not the theology.

Sorry, just because some strange young guy says Jesus is risen, don't mean it is true. Just as likely, would be disciples removing the body in an attempt to "fulfill the prophecies"

Get a new dog.

I have yet to see you provide evidence that the stories in the bible are more than just stories. That which is declared without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

You're grasping at straws, Somerville. A "we don't really know IF"... and an UNFOUNDED THEORY on the body...

I don't have enough faith to be a skeptic.

The Roman historian Tacitus mentions Jesus and his demise at the hands of Pontius Pilate in his "Annals" So the historical record does know him.

Skulls from a funerary about 2 miles from the Current Nazareth were carbon dated to 9000 BC. So it would certainly have been possible for someone to come from Nazareth at the time of Jesus. Nazareth was not founded after the death of Jesus.

Sorry. It wasn't hard to find this information.

I have no problem with your atheism but your provision of facts is certainly lacking.

Several points.

1) Reality wins has lost (he's banned)

2) The source of Tacitus is unclear. There is nothing in his writings (thought to be around 115 CE) that isn't relating something that is in the Gospels. Assuming that the writings are authentic and not a later interpolation , it woudl be evidence that Christians existed in the early 2nd century. It is not evidence that the beliefs or origin of those beliefs are true.

What he said was that History had no record of Jesus. But it does whether it is true or not.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…