• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

Then that would be less than 9.3 trillion Obama created! Do you support the Trump budget proposal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A couple problems here, first your post has nothing to do with the thread topic. Second 5.6 trillion is a projection based upon budget expense growth, not the budget that Trump submitted. Support the budget Trump submitted then you can hold him accountable for the deficits that actually occur not what is projected. How do you hold someone for spending that he never authorized?

Everyone... read these two posts to get an idea of who we are dealing with.

Everyone... read these two posts to get an idea of who we are dealing with.

So you have a problem with supporting the Trump budget but blaming him for the deficit? Did Bill Clinton receive more or less than he asked for during the Republican control of Congress?

You don't seem to be able to grasp the reality that the President requests a budget which in Clinton's case was more than the Republicans gave him but in Trump's case is less than the Congress will spend. Maybe you ought to think twice about posting in any forum until you get a grasp of reality and real responsibilities

So you have a problem with supporting the Trump budget but blaming him for the deficit? Did Bill Clinton receive more or less than he asked for during the Republican control of Congress?

You don't seem to be able to grasp the reality that the President requests a budget which in Clinton's case was more than the Republicans gave him but in Trump's case is less than the Congress will spend. Maybe you ought to think twice about posting in any forum until you get a grasp of reality and real responsibilities

I'm genuinely curious how one can have so much cognitive dissonance. To have such different standards for democrats and republicans. Just take away the letters and colors and keep it simple and to the point: don't try to contort or twist anything, we can add complexity and nuance once we have basic facts in order.
Assuming projections are true(they're usually pretty good), which of these terms nets a greater deficit(a per year figure), 5.6 in 4 years or 9.3 in 8 years? After you answer that, we can chat more in depth.

What you are not able to grasp is you are the one moving the field goal, much further than anyone else in the entire thread by a large margin. And being hypocritical about who owns what debt all along the way.

And for your information, Congress rarely if ever gives much weight to the budget submitted by the President and worse relies far more on stop gap measures than actually passing an actual budget.

But to your point specifically, it is hypocritical for you to old Obama or Clinton responsible for the condition of the deficit but give a pass to Trump.

You clearly apply different standards depending on a (D) or (R) being behind their name... President and/or in majority of Congress.

I'm genuinely curious how one can have so much cognitive dissonance. To have such different standards for democrats and republicans. Just take away the letters and colors and keep it simple and to the point: don't try to contort or twist anything, we can add complexity and nuance once we have basic facts in order.
Assuming projections are true(they're usually pretty good), which of these terms nets a greater deficit(a per year figure), 5.6 in 4 years or 9.3 in 8 years? After you answer that, we can chat more in depth.
Apparently I have an understanding of civics and you don't. The president proposes a budget if that budget is accepted then he's responsible for the deficit if that budget isn't accept it then it is a congressional problem with a deficit

What you are not able to grasp is you are the one moving the field goal, much further than anyone else in the entire thread by a large margin. And being hypocritical about who owns what debt all along the way.

And for your information, Congress rarely if ever gives much weight to the budget submitted by the President and worse relies far more on stop gap measures than actually passing an actual budget.

But to your point specifically, it is hypocritical for you to old Obama or Clinton responsible for the condition of the deficit but give a pass to Trump.

You clearly apply different standards depending on a (D) or (R) being behind their name... President and/or in majority of Congress.
Anytime you radicals have a problem with facts logic and Common Sense you call it moving the goalposts or being off topic. Let's just accept the fact that you don't have a clue as to how the budget process works and who is responsible for the deficit

Anytime you radicals have a problem with facts logic and Common Sense you call it moving the goalposts or being off topic. Let's just accept the fact that you don't have a clue as to how the budget process works and who is responsible for the deficit

Irony... you calling out everyone else for not staying on topic (in your own thread mind you) *and* having no idea how things work.

Apparently I have an understanding of civics and you don't. The president proposes a budget if that budget is accepted then he's responsible for the deficit if that budget isn't accept it then it is a congressional problem with a deficit

I will hold Trump accountable just like I did with Obama but you never answered the question how do you hold the President accountable when his budget is rejected?

What is your excuse for not answering the question

I'm trying to create a rational framework for us to work off of. We start with the most basic of facts and then we can talk about the nuances to your hearts delight. For the absolute last time, assuming projections are true(they're usually pretty good), which of these terms nets a greater deficit(a per year figure), 5.6 in 4 years or 9.3 in 8 years? After you answer that, we can chat more in depth.

I'm trying to create a rational framework for us to work off of. We start with the most basic of facts and then we can talk about the nuances to your hearts delight. For the absolute last time, assuming projections are true(they're usually pretty good), which of these terms nets a greater deficit(a per year figure), 5.6 in 4 years or 9.3 in 8 years? After you answer that, we can chat more in depth.

Basic facts? How about this basic fact, this thread is about the Myth of the Clinton surplus. You want to discuss Trump and Projections do it on another thread.

Basic facts? How about this basic fact, this thread is about the Myth of the Clinton surplus. You want to discuss Trump and Projections do it on another thread.

Except the thread is based of a false assertion. There definitely was a surplus during clinton and all non biased authorities and republicans have verified this. Why do you keep repeating this lie over and over again.

Except the thread is based of a false assertion. There definitely was a surplus during clinton and all non biased authorities and republicans have verified this. Why do you keep repeating this lie over and over again.
Treasury disagrees and that is what matters. Guess Treasury is biased

The surplus was reported using the same accounting practices used by bush and trump. If you believe there was no surplus, you also have to believe that the deficits were even higher than reported under bush and even higher than reported now under trump.

The surplus was reported using the same accounting practices used by bush and trump. If you believe there was no surplus, you also have to believe that the deficits were even higher than reported under bush and even higher than reported now under trump.

I gave you the link explaining it to you but apparently you are too biased and partisan to accept that information, there was NO SURPLUS during the Clinton term because the debt is PUBLIC DEBT(BUDGET) PLUS INTER-GOVERNMENT HOLDINGS. Please this is embarrassing for you. The real issue however is the debt as we pay debt service NOT deficit service. DEBT under Bush was 4.9 Trillion, Clinton 1.4 trillion, Reagan 1.7 trillion, and Obama 9.3 trillion. Sorry but reality sucks for a liberal

You seem to be very confused as to what a T-Bill is as you for some reason you want to believe it isn't a debt to the federal govt. You see when the govt. borrowed from the SS trust fund they replaced that money with an IOU, a future obligation to the trust fund thus part of the debt. What Clinton did and the link shows is borrowed from the SS trust fund to make the budget deficit look better than it was and although he came close to creating a budget surplus the obligations in the SS trust fund increased thus increasing the debt which is the issue not the deficit. Hope that explains it to you and the rest of the left in this forum. Budget deficits or surpluses are part of the total debt and Clinton saw a 1.4 trillion increase in the debt during his term.

The treasury does not disagree.

You seem to be very confused as to what a T-Bill is as you for some reason you want to believe it isn't a debt to the federal govt. You see when the govt. borrowed from the SS trust fund they replaced that money with an IOU, a future obligation to the trust fund thus part of the debt. What Clinton did and the link shows is borrowed from the SS trust fund to make the budget deficit look better than it was and although he came close to creating a budget surplus the obligations in the SS trust fund increased thus increasing the debt which is the issue not the deficit. Hope that explains it to you and the rest of the left in this forum. Budget deficits or surpluses are part of the total debt and Clinton saw a 1.4 trillion increase in the debt during his term.

Everything you just said confirms you have no idea what a deficit or surplus is.

LOL, then explain it to me? You are truly clueless on this issue

I already have as have others, and it is basically the same thing just about everyone else with an IQ above their shoe size has confirmed. There was a surplus for the named years, it is unfortunate you cannot accept facts.

Everything you just said confirms you have no idea what a deficit or surplus is.

So is it your contention that a t-bill isn't a financial obligation thus a debt to the Federal taxpayers?

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/current

16.0 trillion debt held by the public
5.8 trillion inter-govt. holdings.

What part of this is lack of understanding and shows I don't understand the deficit or surplus?

Back
Top Bottom