• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The MyPillow Guy Really Could Destroy Democracy

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From The Atlantic

When you contemplate the end of democracy in America, what kind of person do you think will bring it about? Maybe you picture a sinister billionaire in a bespoke suit, slipping brown envelopes to politicians. Maybe your nightmare is a rogue general, hijacking the nuclear football. Maybe you think of a jackbooted thug leading a horde of men in white sheets, all carrying burning crosses.

Here is what you probably don’t imagine: an affable, self-made midwesterner, one of those goofy businessmen who makes his own infomercials. A recovered crack addict, no less, who laughs good-naturedly when jokes are made at his expense. A man who will talk to anyone willing to listen (and to many who aren’t). A philanthropist. A good boss. A patriot—or so he says—who may well be doing more damage to American democracy than anyone since Jefferson Davis.

I met Mike Lindell, the CEO of MyPillow, in the recording studio that occupies the basement of Steve Bannon’s stately Capitol Hill townhouse, a few blocks from the Supreme Court—the same Supreme Court that will, according to Lindell, decide “9–0” in favor of reinstating Donald Trump to the presidency sometime in August, or possibly September. I made it through the entirety of the Trump presidency without once having to meet Bannon but here he was, recording his War Room podcast with Lindell. Bannon has been decomposing in front of our eyes for some years now, and I can report that this process continues to take its course. I walked in during a break and the two men immediately gestured to me to join the conversation, sit at the table with them, listen in on headphones. I demurred. “Anne Applebaum … hmm,” Bannon said. “Should’ve stuck to writing books. Gulag was a great book. How long did it take you to write it?”

Read: The truth about Steve Bannon

In the room adjacent to the basement studio, an extra-large image of a New York Times front page hung on the wall, featuring a picture of Bannon and the headline “The Provocateur.” A bottle of Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol, whatever that is, sat on the desk. The big-screen TV was tuned to MSNBC. This wasn’t surprising: In his podcasts, Bannon carries on a kind of dialogue with Rachel Maddow, playing her sound bites and then offering his own critique. Later, Lindell told me that if it weren’t for attacks by “the left”—by which he means Politico, the Daily Beast, and, presumably, me—his message would never get out, because Fox News ignores him.

COMMENT:-

An interesting look at some real people who are really involved in really telling the real truth about what is really happening so that the real president can really move back into the real White House and really govern with the help of those really patriotic Senators and Representatives who are NOT really precluded from really voting because they are really under indictment for really committing real treason as the real law really says.​

I see the pillow dude as just another guy with shoe polish on his head.

If the democracy can survive trump, it can survive anything.

He just pulled his ads from Fox because they wouldn’t let him air livestream of his symposium, Lindell claimed he was being silenced (!) and was therefore pulling his companies’ pillow-based ads from the network, which, he says, amounted to $50 million in 2020 and some $19 million so far this year.

Goodbye Guy!

As narrated by Morgan Freeman:
“In fact, the pillow guy did not destroy democracy.”

Even Newsmax cut this loser off once during an interview when he was ranting. Lindell is just another grifter milking $$$ from the idiot GOP voter base.

Meh... I don't see Lindell as a genuine threat to democracy. He's a former cocaine user who, unfortunately, is stuck on 10,000 RPM.

I also suspect that his company and his personal bank account are taking a bit of a hit. He's obviously politicized his brand, which cuts his customer base by half; he's lost distribution at multiple major retail outlets; he's spending ridiculous sums on these events, including his bomb of a website; I'm sure that ads on Newsmax don't make money for him (as their ratings plummeted 50% since January). He also just yanked all his ads from Fox, which even if it was done for ideological reasons, will only reduce his exposure to his target audience.

He's wealthy, but... he's not Bloomberg wealthy. He can't keep this up forever.

Meh... I don't see Lindell as a genuine threat to democracy. He's a former cocaine user who, unfortunately, is stuck on 10,000 RPM.

I also suspect that his company and his personal bank account are taking a bit of a hit. He's obviously politicized his brand, which cuts his customer base by half; he's lost distribution at multiple major retail outlets; he's spending ridiculous sums on these events, including his bomb of a website; I'm sure that ads on Newsmax don't make money for him (as their ratings plummeted 50% since January). He also just yanked all his ads from Fox, which even if it was done for ideological reasons, will only reduce his exposure to his target audience.

He's wealthy, but... he's not Bloomberg wealthy. He can't keep this up forever.
I wish I had a nickel for every time I have heard or said this in the last five years…..

Lindell is not the problem. Trump is not the problem. Their supporters are the problem. A quarter of our fellow countrymen are gullible, insane, vicious, and monumentally stupid. America is going to lose the great race because these ****ers are paddling backwards.

As narrated by Morgan Freeman:
“In fact, the pillow guy did not destroy democracy.”
wtf can't destroy democracy nowadays according to them? riots and legislating constitutional amendments , I guess.

questioning the vote WILL DESTROY DEMOCRACY!
Auditing the vote after the fact WILL DESTROY DEMOCRACY!
passing security measures to prevent vote fraud WILL DESTROY DEMOCRACY!

and now, the pillow guy... sheesh.

He just pulled his ads from Fox because they wouldn’t let him air livestream of his symposium, Lindell claimed he was being silenced (!) and was therefore pulling his companies’ pillow-based ads from the network, which, he says, amounted to $50 million in 2020 and some $19 million so far this year.

Goodbye Guy!

If someone is selling "X" for a "regular price" of $40 per unit and then advertised "For a limited time only if you buy one you get one free.". Than makes that "limited time" price $20 per unit and when that "limited time" commenced longer ago than anyone can remember and shows no sign of actually coming to an end, what does that make the ACTUAL per unit price?

Under the vast majority of the consumer protection acts, the ACTUAL per unit price in a situation like that is $20 AND it is an offence to quote an artificially inflated "regular price" as an inducement to get someone to purchase a false bargain.

As a lifelong coward, I very much admire Mr. L.'s courage.

He obviously believes strongly that the election was rigged.

So he is willing to destroy his business by continuing his campaign.

Now that he has boycotted FOX, he will find few if any outlets that will accept his commercials.

I wish him and his business the best of luck.

Lindell is not the problem. Trump is not the problem. Their supporters are the problem. A quarter of our fellow countrymen are gullible, insane, vicious, and monumentally stupid. America is going to lose the great race because these ****ers are paddling backwards.

Change the "and" to "or" and toss in "a combination of two or more of the foregoing" and you have a deal.

On the other hand, that would make the United States of America just like every other country in the world because in every country around ¼ of the population is

[1] gullible;​
[2] insane;​
[3] vicious;​
[4] monumentally stupid;​
or​
[5] a combination of two or more of the above;​

and that would mean that there was no "American Exceptionalism".

As a lifelong coward, I very much admire Mr. L.'s courage.

He obviously believes strongly that the election was rigged.

So he is willing to destroy his business by continuing his campaign.

Now that he has boycotted FOX, he will find few if any outlets that will accept his commercials.

I wish him and his business the best of luck.

I'll have someone else explain the phrase "The best of British luck to you" to you.

I see the pillow dude as just another guy with shoe polish on his head.
Miker Lindell will either admits that he knew it was a scam under oath or he will; sued for his last nickel and be forced to work for Trump or Trump's kids to have a roof over his head. He is done and already had the proverbial fork in his spine. Maybe he and Rudy will invent something to keep scamming the MAGAites.

If someone is selling "X" for a "regular price" of $40 per unit and then advertised "For a limited time only if you buy one you get one free.". Than makes that "limited time" price $20 per unit and when that "limited time" commenced longer ago than anyone can remember and shows no sign of actually coming to an end, what does that make the ACTUAL per unit price?

Under the vast majority of the consumer protection acts, the ACTUAL per unit price in a situation like that is $20 AND it is an offence to quote an artificially inflated "regular price" as an inducement to get someone to purchase a false bargain.
That’s not why Fox said NO to his ads. He wanted to perpetuate the steal the vote. They said no so he pulled all his ads.

Back
Top Bottom