• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Most Important Thing You Can Do For Your Kids

I [think] the most important thing you can do for your kids is to teach them. Seriously teach them, even apart from their formal education.

And when I say teach them, I don't mean geometry and mathematics, necessarily. I mean teach them things like problem solving, reasoning, and interpreting what they see around them. Teach them how to evaluate things and decide on the wisest choice according to who they are and what they want.

I would also teach them to imagine and to be free thinking. I would caution them to always think for yourself and always be aware of WHAT you are doing, ESPECIALLY when you are with a group of people.

I think the hardest thing to teach him would be how to stand for himself in a time when people really have to compromise what they want in order to get by. I would teach him to look past these false things that wrap people up so tightly and to try and see clearly- even clearer than me.

I would teach him to question me always so that he will grow up questioning everything and everyone. I would never belittle his sense of knowing but encourage it. I'd hope he was willful, but at the same time I would teach him that there are consequences and what you want must either get along, shove along, or be shoved by/with someone else's wants.

But if he is a monster, I layeth the smaketh down.

Treat them like an adult, I think. Not completely, but never box them in as to what they can and can't do...completely. Allow them to grow and expand even when you are afraid to.

But, alas, I have no experience with children and all of this might be the very epitome of idealistic thinking. After all...I remember my own youth.

I have two sons...ages 19 and 21...and I raised them in almost exactly the same manner you've described.

The only thing I would add is to find ways to have fun with your children...together and individually.

Can't argue with that. Good advice.

Back
Top Bottom