• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Most Competitive Cities of the Future

The Global Competitiveness routine doesn't seem to be doing too much for the individual quality of life in the good old U.S. of A.

Proves once again that robust regulation, workers rights, and government oversight produces value in modern economies.

New York and Chicago. Neither one is a place I would like to live. Terrible weather, crime problems, no ****ing parking, cost of living incomprehensible.

So, who really cares about a vague concept like "competitive city". Unless you're in banking or stock-brokering, you have no particular advantage to choosing either of them.

My Sister lives in Manhattan with her husband. Both are screenwriters, producers and directors. I've tried to understand the attraction but I've never gotten a satisfying answer. Considering that most of their employment is from Hollywood, on the other side of the country, I think they see something I don't or they are just weird:). They own a large number of properties - in Venice Beach CA and they stay in one of their apartments when they go there to work. So NYC has some secret magnet.

Quality of life depends mostly on the individual, not the environment. Sure, I don't want to live in Flint MI, the crime capital of America but I live in Las Vegas which is usually on the bottom of everybody's list. My life quality is good and I can always find a parking space. If I get lonely (despite the kitties) I can rent some of the worlds most beautiful women for a rousing romp.

There are other countries that are undoubtedly nicer to live in than the US. So what? We have it pretty good here and its been good for a long time. I've lived in other countries and was no better or worse off than here. I wonder if everywhere in the world there is so much dissent and complaint as there is here. To listen to some, we must be a horror camp. That just ain't so (IMHO).

Yeah, just look at Detroit.

Detroit has been dying for many decades. Someone recently posted a link to a photo essay on Detrioit, one of the things that I noticed was how many of the abandoned buildings have been abandoned for 30+ years.

Why has it been dying?

Detroit has been dying for many decades. Someone recently posted a link to a photo essay on Detrioit, one of the things that I noticed was how many of the abandoned buildings have been abandoned for 30+ years.

New York and Chicago. Neither one is a place I would like to live. Terrible weather, crime problems, no ****ing parking, cost of living incomprehensible.

So, who really cares about a vague concept like "competitive city". Unless you're in banking or stock-brokering, you have no particular advantage to choosing either of them.

My Sister lives in Manhattan with her husband. Both are screenwriters, producers and directors. I've tried to understand the attraction but I've never gotten a satisfying answer. Considering that most of their employment is from Hollywood, on the other side of the country, I think they see something I don't or they are just weird:). They own a large number of properties - in Venice Beach CA and they stay in one of their apartments when they go there to work. So NYC has some secret magnet.

Quality of life depends mostly on the individual, not the environment. Sure, I don't want to live in Flint MI, the crime capital of America but I live in Las Vegas which is usually on the bottom of everybody's list. My life quality is good and I can always find a parking space. If I get lonely (despite the kitties) I can rent some of the worlds most beautiful women for a rousing romp.

There are other countries that are undoubtedly nicer to live in than the US. So what? We have it pretty good here and its been good for a long time. I've lived in other countries and was no better or worse off than here. I wonder if everywhere in the world there is so much dissent and complaint as there is here. To listen to some, we must be a horror camp. That just ain't so (IMHO).

I think you are correct about Chicago and New York. Despite all their crowing, I liken both to being the tip of the economic funnel. Chicago gets all the economic flow-through from the Mid-West and New York gets it from most of the country because of Wall Street, but the cities themselves do not produce that much in a traditional sense. They just happen to be the link in the chain where the totals get attributed to.

If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

I have been to every city on that top ten list and while I enjoyed my trips, I wouldn't want to live permanently in any of them. My guess is there is an inverse correlation between the competitiveness of a city and the individual quality of life of its residents.

Back
Top Bottom