• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Mosque in Manhattan

Should a Mosque be built near ground Zero (Read post before answering)

• Total voters

Chris12

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
This is like any other post an open discussion, feel free to add more articles to your point, i am always willing to learn, never willing to argue.

Mosque at ground zero.

"While the 9/11 families don't speak as a block, Debra Burlingame, whose brother was one of the pilots killed that day, and who speaks for many of the victims' families, claims President Obama put the proposed mosque at ground zero ahead of the 9/11 trial."Read more: 9/11 Families' Organization Criticizes Obama Mosque Comments | Foxnews.com

Yes, stop the presses and bunker down in the nuclear bomb shelter because someone is trying to practice freedom of religion!

Unfortunatly in the united states today we have begun to forget all about some of our most important rights, For those who dont remember the Puritans who came to the united states did so to escape religious percicution. our very own founding fathers declared that we as a country would not discriminate against any other religion. And yet now we appear to have a problem with the Muslim religion.

Of course in the eyes of any average american citizen we have every right to be. The radical islamic world has declared Jihad and tension with the Islamic world has become tight. But what many people fail to realize is that not every member of the islamic religion is a radical terrorist out to destroy the world

"Some might argue that profiling is so offensive to fundamental Americanvalues that it ought to be prohibited, even if the prohibitionjeopardizes our safety. Yet many of the ethnic activists andcivil-liberties groups who object most strenuously to the use of racial,ethnic, religious and nationality classifications during war supportthe use of similar classifications to ensure "diversity" or "parity" inpeacetime."

USATODAY.com - Racial profiling: A matter of survival

To sum it up, Hypocracy thy name is America.

We are strongly opposed to racial profiling when it comes to someone who has not proven "Dangerous" such as the Hispanics from across the border, however in times of war the united states itself becomes radical and terrorises its very own citizens. For example during world war II Japanese-Americans were placed in concentration camps similar to those of the jewish community. The united states would place anyone with the fair tan skin, and oriental background in a harsh environment concentration camp.This was done for the safety of the united states citizen, However with the massive drug cartels, gang wars, and murders throughout southern Arizona California and Texas have proven to be less important than a worship center for the islamic world.

When asking any normal Member of the Islamic faith you will quickly realize that they are no more likely to blow up your house than a family of Mormons. It is unfortunate the events of 9/11. A tragedy that should not be forgotten, but should this tragic event change our countries moral values? The ones we have followed and lived for centuries.

"Republicans are pouncing on the president's comments, calling him insensitive to families of 9/11 victims. Some point out that even though the president may be right intellectually, this is an emotional issue."

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Muslims buying unnecessary problems by insisting on mosque near Ground*Zero? « - CNN.com Blogs

We are forgeting one thing when mentioning Barack Obama's insane disregard to the feelings of our american people....Its not ON ground Zero. The question that must be asked is when does it become ok to build these mosques. Currently we are looking at 8 blocks away (Aproximatly 1 1/2 miles). Surely the feelings of these families should be considered in these decisions, however if we are going to deny the muslims the right to build their mosque, Perhaps we should just close down this portion of Manhattan from all public, within a mile ratius (Or more) close down every buisness, worship center, or future building sites available. Sound crazy? I agree, lets stop being close minded and realize that 1.6 billion people in this world are Islamic, and if they wanted us dead they would find a way. lets be sensitive to the families of 9/11 who for the past 9 years have been forced to live with the memory of the grave incident. However lets also be a little considerate of the Islamic community who for the last 9 years have been viewed as monsters in the eye of society. If we dont let them build this mosque, then please, lets make it official. The United states of america has a required Christian religion, unless of course you are a monster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/us/08mosque.html?pagewanted=all

""What's different is the heat, the volume, the level of hostility," said Ihsan Bagby, associate professor of Islamic studies at the University of Kentucky."It's one thing to oppose a mosque because traffic might increase, butit's different when you say these mosques are going to be nurturingterrorist bombers, that Islam is invading, that civilization is being undermined by Muslims.""​

This came from a New York times article commenting on the aggression of Californians whom were protesting a muslim worship center, the fact is that we are not trying to respect the families of 9/11, we are just proving to be intolerant.

I am not saying this mosque must be built, and certainly am not saying that it shouldnt. My point today is that if we are going to deny these people the right to worship, then we must also be aware that we are breaking the constitution of the united states of america, and no hidden documents or crooked politicians can prove otherwise.

"Some at the Thursday meeting wore religious or patriotic-themed clothing, and no one defended the plan in two hours of public comments, the Tennessean newspaper reported.

"They seem to be against everything that I believe in, and so I don't want them necessarily in my neighborhood spreading that type of comment," said one man at the meeting.

Tracey Steven, who also attended, said, "Our country was founded through the founding fathers -- through the true God, the Father and Jesus Christ.""

Murfreesboro, Tennessee Mosque Plan Draws Criticism from Residents - ABC News

....Mame perhaps you missed this part of your History class, but allow me to enlighten all of you

From Cornell University, a school that has fair Merit we look at our very own first amendment

Bill of Rights | LII / Legal Information Institute

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, orprohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom ofspeech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."​

I dont believe the founding fathers ever mentioned our father and lord Jesus Christ.

Now let me assure all of you that i am indeed a Protestant Christian in beliefs, however this does not make what i like to call a "Radical Christian" Or someone who immediatly shuns someone because they are different than you. To all of you i beg and plead like a always will, please be considerate and reasonable human beings, stop being so narrow minded, and for the love of God (Whichever one you believe) Stop blowing me up with your hate, Islam, Christian, or otherwise.

August 18th 2010-Chris Workman

New York Mosque thread count:
counter.gif

(Though skimming what you've said I think we agree on most things :))

PARK51 is not a mosque and is not at ground zero. It's a community center and it is city blocks from ground zero.

I support liberty and private property rights. As such if they own the property then I believe they should be allowed to build what they want.

Now that doesn't mean I personally like what they're doing. I believe they're doing this with the sole purpose of making people angry, instigating hatred and then playing victim.

My personal feelings play no part in my support of their right to build what they want. I believe that when you support freedom you have to support freedom for all and not just the things you like.

I understand it is not a mosque, im sorry i forgot to mention my original intentions when posting this.
This was a facebook Note made under my selection "Media Sucks" Which explains that even the least biased media sources put a slant on the news, and this was explaining that the news was not explaining the most important facts such as the fact that it is not a mosque, or that it is not on ground zero but aproximatly 1 mile away. This was a quick way to get alot of media attention on something that is actually fairly trivial.

But its original purpose was to show the media slant on it. :mrgreen:

fun discussion and i agree, freedom means freedom for all, People have a right to do what they want, and other people have the right to gripe and moan about it

I am now for the Love Mosque at Ground Zero.

Imam Feisal is a wonderful human being, and I love Him.

Islam is religion of peace.

Sharia Law is love.

I love Islam.

Christianity is wrong, insensative and mean.

Let us turn St. John's, the National Cathedral into a Mosque.

Will you join me in reading the Hadith? Lets have a Muslim Prayer Group on www.DebatePolitics.com

I join with Nancy Pelosi to investigate *anyone* who speaks out againt Obama, the Gov't, Islam or Mohammed * Peace be Upon Him * Aaa'lah, the Great.

I apologize for all comments I have made against Islam.

I was wrong.

Islam is love.

Love is Islam.

Last edited:
Gaylibertarian,

No no no you get me all wrong. Im not suggesting that Christianity is evil, very much the opposite.

My entire purpose here was to ask everyone not to stereotype an entire basis religion together. I am a christian Protestant. However that does not make me Radical in my beliefs.

Yes this was a post about the mosque near ground zero, but it held the purpose that we must not judge solely on religion or race.

I appreciate your support of my post though :)

Should a sauna with tanning beds be built in the desert?

If my opinion were asked I'd have to say it shouldn't be built. But that has nothing to do with whether or not it can be built. My opinion on that stands firm. They have as much right as any to build. But they shouldn't.

Should a sauna with tanning beds be built in the desert?

If my opinion were asked I'd have to say it shouldn't be built. But that has nothing to do with whether or not it can be built. My opinion on that stands firm. They have as much right as any to build. But they shouldn't.

I agree. I think of it like I think of the Freedom of Speech. Having the right to say whatever you want doesn't always excuse what you say.

For the record, I think it absolutely CAN be built there, but that it would be in very poor taste and shouldn't be built there. I believe that it would only serve to increase hatred and the pain of those suffering. That being said, no government agency should do anything at all to bar the building of this mosque, and should indeed remain neutral on the issue. I fully encourage any and all citizens, however, to protest it's building.

I think we can all agree that it can be built, however it would be of poor taste.

I'm still fairly understanding of it when you look at the statistics of the Islamic community, as this is going to be a support center for Muslim families, and Manhattan has many of the Islamic faith. Realistically in any other part of the country they would allow one to be built (And complain about it later) The only reason this one is such an issue is because it is close to ground Zero.

Nothing should be built on ground zero, period.

But this one is nearly a mile and a half away, so there shouldnt be any problem, if we are protesting the building of any mosque or worship center because we believe they are training terrorists, we are simply being intolerant, ignorant, and leading me to believe that our country is a lot of fancy words, without any action. We have our bill of rights for a reason

I think a GAY ISLAMIC BATH HOUSE AT GROUND ZERO might be a good idea.

Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf could come in after a hard day's work, spreading the evangel of Islamic terror, the gospel of HAMAS and HEZBOLLAH. Other members of the Ground Zero Mosque, especially members of the Islamic Society of North America, the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamofacsists come come in, take their shoes off and well ... er ... get off.

An Islamic gay bath house would help Islamic Imam's and spiritual leaders get in touch with their homosexual side. As we all know homosexuality is *BANNED* in the Middle East in *every* Islamic country and this is sad. Why not give gay Imam's an outlet? A chance to come out? A chance to meet a boyfriend, hook up or butt buddy?

Its a great idea and I think Mayor Bloomberg and the New York Land Commission would agree.

This is a great idea.

Lets stop fighting each other and lets get off!

Its as easy as that!

After all Islam = peace. Islam = love.

Lets show Imam Feisal what true love is!

My entire purpose here was to ask everyone not to stereotype an entire basis religion together. I am a christian Protestant. However that does not make me Radical in my beliefs.

excellent. shall we then discuss the particular brand of Islam practiced by this Imam, who is a supporter of Hezbollah, has ties to organizations shut down for funding terrorism abroad, and admits that he would accept funding from Iran, who is currently also funding the killing of innocent Afghans and US troops? :)

your poll makes the same mistake that most of the folks i've seen argue your side do, you mistake having the Right to do something with being right to do it.

I think we can all agree that it can be built, however it would be of poor taste.

Please feel free to read my entire posts before commenting on something i have already covered.

In the respect of the type of islam they practice i stand by the strong point of fact that not all members of any brand of religion will believe the same way.

Hezbollah has provided Education, medical aid, and military protection to thousands of Lebonese for decades, while it cannot be denied that hezbollah has also brought on a spark of terrorism within the Islamic faith, this does not completly discredit the entirity of the organization.

Example being that with christian bible scriptures

Isaiah 66:24
"And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind."

This quote let the catholic pope into war with islam during the middle ages (Along with a large amount of greed and lust for power)

Does this then make christianity a demon religion?

In Austin Texas a man gone mentally ill flew his plane into an IRS building, he was apart of the christian faith and stated that god himself had said because his life had no more meaning death was the only thing that would grant him serenity. Is it possible that this one man was simply insane, or that the christian god actually sent him to fly into the bulding.

I think the one thing that most people who make your arguement steer away from is the fact that there are over 1.5 billion people who worship the islamic religion, and the vast majority of them are not terrorists, but simple people who wish to live there life the way they were raised to do so. Its intolerance that forces us to break our way into the finest details of what way they choose to worship this religion, Frankly i would be no less suprised to here you say a catholic had said he would accept money from the pope to practice his religion, let alone someone islamic stateing they would willingly accept money from someone from the middle east.

A minister in Florida plans to burn nearly 100 copies of the Qu'ran on 9/11, frankly this is insulting and causes me to believe that we are no better than the terrorists who threaten us. If i were worshiping islam, i would be both insulted and slightly afraid, similar to the citizens in america watching as they burn our very own flag.

Just because the extremists do it to us, does this mean we can then make the average lives of those non extremists a living hell?

Some of you may need a better understanding in Islam, especially in regards to the radicals.

The Mosque should be moved. At some point America needs to put its foot down on what extent we will continue to allow anti-American religions to trample on our country. I know it sounds like a harsh statement, but here's my reasoning.

The Koran: Radical Islam & America

Enjoy!

Some of you may need a better understanding in Islam, especially in regards to the radicals.

The Mosque should be moved. At some point America needs to put its foot down on what extent we will continue to allow anti-American religions to trample on our country. I know it sounds like a harsh statement, but here's my reasoning.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

That is the end of the argument as far as I am concerned.

I have sworn by an oath a total of 4 times now, that I would "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic". And when it comes to the free exercise of a person's religion, then I will fight for them to uphold their rights.

I have served in the Middle East. And the last thing I ever want to see is people behaving in my country like they do over there. Xenophobic, and intolerant of any other religion. People come here from all over the world so they can enjoy our freedoms. If we treat them like outcasts, then we deserve nothing better then to be attacked. Because we have snown ourselves to be everything they claim we are.

Back
Top Bottom