• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The more you read Mattis’s resignation letter, ....

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"The more you read Mattis’s resignation letter, the clearer it becomes that Trump had not read it before he sent his tweet."

A tweet by Kaitlan Collins.

No, I don't know who she is, but yes, I was kind of surprised that Trump had such kind words for Mattis in spite of Mattis' damning resignation letter.

Either Trump didn't read it or he didn't understand it.

I'm waiting for some delayed reaction tweets from Trump where he walks back his praise of Mattis and gets closer to calling Mattis dumb as a rock.

I was halfway through the letter when I thought, “No WAY did Trump read this whole thing.”

"The more you read Mattis’s resignation letter, the clearer it becomes that Trump had not read it before he sent his tweet."

No, I don't know who she is, but yes, I was kind of surprised that Trump had such kind words for Mattis in spite of Mattis' damning resignation letter.

I'm waiting for some delayed reaction tweets from Trump where he walks back his praise of Mattis and gets closer to calling Mattis dumb as a rock.

You may recall this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaitlan_Collins#Dispute_with_the_White_House

White House Bans CNN Reporter From Open Press Event

I was halfway through the letter when I thought, “No WAY did Trump read this whole thing.”

One of the comments on Ms. Collins' tweet says, "Mattis made it a long letter on purpose...."

hehe

Trump is known as not a reader and gets his news from sound bites. He sits in front of the tv and lets the Hanitys and Limbaugh give him his daily reports.

When they finally get him out of the WH it will be interesting to hear from the WH staff..

One of the comments on Ms. Collins' tweet says, "Mattis made it a long letter on purpose...."

hehe

The intelligence community has been trolling Trump since he took office if not before. They know his game and he is always surprised that they know it. They are not the media. They are not fooled by profits and ratings. Tick tock Donny.

Hes a ****ing moron. Of course he didnt read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Maybe Trump was being generous to an old soldier who had mostly served this nation well.

We'll likely find out.

Hes a ****ing moron. Of course he didnt read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Or maybe you are sure that there is no chance that Trump would ever be found being the decent guy....which is not just wrong but way wrong in my opinion.

I think that we will some day know the truth here.

I am not making a call at this time.

Red:
False dichotomy:
  • There are additional highly plausible and probable options, two of which are:
    • Trump read it, understood it and just didn't give a damn whether his own public depiction of the matter aligned with Mattis' or with the truth.
    • Trump read it, understood it and thought the world would take his diction as more accurate and credible than Mattis'.
The supposition that Trump hadn't, before issuing his depiction of the matter, read Mattis' resignation letter carries with it a tacit assumption that Trump would accurately describe the nature of Mattis' decision. At this point in the nation's experience with Trump, he no longer deserves the benefit of any doubt one might thereunto consider according him. With regard to anything and everything Trump says, only fools are not "Missouran."

Red:
False dichotomy:
  • There are additional highly plausible and probable options, two of which are:
    • Trump read it, understood it and just didn't give a damn whether his own public depiction of the matter aligned with Mattis' or with the truth.
    • Trump read it, understood it and thought the world would take his diction as more accurate and credible than Mattis'.
The supposition that Trump hadn't, before issuing his depiction of the matter, read Mattis' resignation letter carries with it a tacit assumption that Trump would accurately describe the nature of Mattis' decision. At this point in the nation's experience with Trump, he no longer deserves the benefit of any doubt one might thereunto consider according him. With regard to anything and everything Trump says, only fools are not "Missouran."

It is not highly plausible or probable that Trump would read such a damning letter, comprehend it, and then turn around and praise the man. Trump feels harsh judgments very keenly and has not shown an aptitude for avoiding reacting to them in a negative way.

It is not highly plausible or probable that Trump would read such a damning letter, comprehend it, and then turn around and praise the man. Trump feels harsh judgments very keenly and has not shown an aptitude for avoiding reacting to them in a negative way.

Of course not, because Trump Sucks...so many people say so!

Of course not, because Trump Sucks...so many people say so!

Empirical evidence shows that Trump doesn't tend to respond calmly and positively to criticism. Not "so many people say so". Trump's twitter account says so.

Trump truly does "suck," and it's true that many say so.

I am not counting out that Trump was the gracious President of a greatful nation here, that while this guy sucked at the end he deserved thanks and applause upon departure for the totality of the record. .

I am fairly sure that we will find out.

Another fake bomb shell, complete dud just like all the others... known in common parlance as making a mountain out of a molehill.

This letter is no damning evidence of anything but an unresolvable difference in approach and, hate to break it to you folks, we elected the President, not the Secy of Defense to make the ultimate decisions as to the overall direction our nation will proceed.

I think it very honorable of Mattis to have made his views known, but he is only an adjunct to the real person chosen to be responsible. If he cannot in good conscience faithfully carry out the duties required of him under the presidents guidelines, then stepping down was exactly the right thing to do.

He served honorably and I wish him well.

Another fake bomb shell, complete dud just like all the others... known in common parlance as making a mountain out of a molehill.

This letter is no damning evidence of anything but an unresolvable difference in approach and, hate to break it to you folks, we elected the President, not the Secy of Defense to make the ultimate decisions as to the overall direction our nation will proceed.

I think it very honorable of Mattis to have made his views known, but he is only an adjunct to the real person chosen to be responsible. If he cannot in good conscience faithfully carry out the duties required of him under the presidents guidelines, then stepping down was exactly the right thing to do.

He served honorably and I wish him well.

That is the nicest thing I've heard a rightwinger say about the situation today. I hope you don't change your mind and develop hard feelings for Mattis if Trump starts trashtalking him.

Trump is known as not a reader and gets his news from sound bites. He sits in front of the tv and lets the Hanitys and Limbaugh give him his daily reports.

When they finally get him out of the WH it will be interesting to hear from the WH staff..

That can't happen soon enough.

That is the nicest thing I've heard a rightwinger say about the situation today. I hope you don't change your mind and develop hard feelings for Mattis if Trump starts trashtalking him.
I doubt there will be any such need unless he starts trash talking the president.

Can you point out something in the letter that would make Trump mad at him? I don't see it... and it seems apparent that Trump was understanding of the position and gracious in accepting the resignation.

What more could you ask or expect of two public servants?

I doubt there will be any such need unless he starts trash talking the president.

Can you point out something in the letter that would make Trump mad at him? I don't see it... and it seems apparent that Trump was understanding of the position and gracious in accepting the resignation.

What more could you ask or expect of two public servants?

Well now you have outed yourself.

Trump does not have a public servant's bone in his body. Though he ran to win, he did not think he would win. He did not plan on winning. He lied and cheated and grifted his way through his campaign because that is who he is. But he did not plan that he would win because he is not, was not and does not see himself as a public servant of any sort. Having achieved the office there is literally nothing Trump has done in the office that is suggestive of public service of any sort.

In fact we can safely say that we have finally come upon one benefit that has come from bringing a boatload of criminals not at all interested in public service to the administration of government. That is empathy for those rightly or wrongly incarcerated which manifested itself in the judicial and prison reform bill. Thats it...finally something we can all be proud of for having elected a gangster to the WH and seeing him bring his gangster family and friends along with him, a redressing of the draconian prison sentencing regimen. A heck of a note to realize that is all there is from this complete cluster and further realizing that the reason we have that is because this crew is intimately familiar with the concept of incarceration for crimes.

Well now you have outed yourself.

Trump does not have a public servant's bone in his body. Though he ran to win, he did not think he would win. He did not plan on winning. He lied and cheated and grifted his way through his campaign because that is who he is. But he did not plan that he would win because he is not, was not and does not see himself as a public servant of any sort. Having achieved the office there is literally nothing Trump has done in the office that is suggestive of public service of any sort.

In fact we can safely say that we have finally come upon one benefit that has come from bringing a boatload of criminals not at all interested in public service to the administration of government. That is empathy for those rightly or wrongly incarcerated which manifested itself in the judicial and prison reform bill. Thats it...finally something we can all be proud of for having elected a gangster to the WH and seeing him bring his gangster family and friends along with him, a redressing of the draconian prison sentencing regimen. A heck of a note to realize that is all there is from this complete cluster and further realizing that the reason we have that is because this crew is intimately familiar with the concept of incarceration for crimes.
Good lord such a mound of factless, blithering blather...

Total trash, maybe you might take it to a toxic dump site, like your local Dem Party HQ, eh? Thanks.

Mattis has made his way to the top by aligning himself with those in power. He may picking the wrong side to align himself in some of what he now supports.

Most resignation letters of persons of such a station include praise for their former boss. No praise in this letter, and it was released by the Pentagon, NOT the WH.

That's significant.

Back
Top Bottom