• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The More Fruit and Vegetables You Eat, the Less Likely You Are to Die

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die – at any given age.
Risk of death by any cause over the course of the study was reduced by:
14% by eating one to three portions of fruit or veg per day
29% for three to five
36% for five to seven
42% for seven or more (up to around 10 portions a day)
Fresh vegetables had the strongest protective effect, followed by salad and then fruit.

A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die – at any given age.
29% for three to five
36% for five to seven
Fresh vegetables had the strongest protective effect, followed by salad and then fruit.

Is this in people that consumed meat as well? Was this taken into account?

29% for three to five
36% for five to seven

These studies (often) fail to account for other lifestyle variables.

But some experts said the work was not conclusive and that other lifestyle factors may have influenced the results.
Prof Tom Sanders, at the School of Medicine, King's College London, said it was "already known" that people who said they ate lots of fruit and vegetables were health conscious, educated and better-off, which could account for the drop in risk.

EDIT: I am not saying that diet is not a factor, since it obviously is, but it may not be "the" factor.

Zip Code May Determine Your Lifespan - Business Insider

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that fruit and veggies are good for us. I mean, seriously, what's the counter position here?

Eating fruit and veggies doesn't matter. I eat only meat and bread and I'm as healthy as an ox!!

Really... what's the debate.

I think we can all agree that fruit and veggies are good for us. I mean, seriously, what's the counter position here?

Eating fruit and veggies doesn't matter. I eat only meat and bread and I'm as healthy as an ox!!

read some of the threads here and you'll see just that

Keep in mind, according to statistics, we all have approximately one testicle and one breast. How many unaccounted factors do you think these people missed? You know, like risky versus safe behaviors, education, being wealthy enough to afford ten goddamn servings of fruits and vegetables A DAY...

I dare someone to deny that eating fruits and vegetables is good for us.

I think the point of the OP is that eating anything but fruit and vegetables is bad for us.

I guess this is about the closest thing to the debate?

29% for three to five
36% for five to seven

Lololo! Really? If I eat healthy I'm less likely to die? Ummmmm, hardly.

29% for three to five
36% for five to seven

Well all die, even Vegans, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy until that day. Enjoy.

Well all die, even Vegans, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy until that day. Enjoy.

"It's not life, but the quality of life that matters."
I don't know where I read it but it sounds like Wilde.

I don't work for free. read a bunch of threads and see what has been written if you're really that curious.

But you post made up facts and won't even back them up? Seems fairly common with you. Seems to me you don't actually want to discuss your topic. You just want to try to spew your agenda all over the place.

But you post made up facts and won't even back them up? Seems fairly common with you. Seems to me you don't actually want to discuss your topic. You just want to try to spew your agenda all over the place.

Go suck on a lemon. The vitamin C and other vitamins might help your outlook.

"It's not life, but the quality of life that matters."
I don't know where I read it but it sounds like Wilde.

On the mark. Enjoy your time here, time is fleeting, treasure every day like it is your last and no matter when that day comes, you will have lived a full life.

On the mark. Enjoy your time here, time is fleeting, treasure every day like it is your last and no matter when that day comes, you will have lived a full life.

and don't die young for something as silly as a bad diet.

Go suck on a lemon. The vitamin C and other vitamins might help your outlook.

I prefer some nice fresh berries but thanks. Might I also add, that you should eat a nice juicy steak. The proteins might help your shriveled, protein starved brain during debates.

and don't die young for something as silly as a bad diet.

What makes you think I am young, I am probably a bit older than you and I can assure you that I am in as good, if not better, shape as you, externally or internally. We are not vegetarians, our system can and does process meat as does our closest relatives the Chimps, which hunt and eat meat. Do not want to eat meat, not a problem for me, just do not act if it is the natural way, because it is not.

Yep. I'm gonna live my life to the fullest (as best as I can at least).

What makes you think I am young, I am probably a bit older than you and I can assure you that I am in as good, if not better, shape as you, externally or internally. We are not vegetarians, our system can and does process meat as does our closest relatives the Chimps, which hunt and eat meat. Do not want to eat meat, not a problem for me, just do not act if it is the natural way, because it is not.

I wasn't referring to you personally. I did a century (100 mile bike ride) on a bike today, I am glad you are more fit than I am. We can eat smarter than our ancestors who were just trying to live long enough to reproduce.

Yep. I'm gonna live my life to the fullest (as best as I can at least).

to some people that means huge portions of fried food or meat.

To others it means smoking tobacco and enjoying it.

to others living a full live means a lot of drinking.

to others, drugs.

to others clean eating, good health, and living a long time and being healthy into old age.

this is a self help section......

Back
Top Bottom