• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Moon Colonized by the US: How Should it affect the US Electoral System?

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
If the United Stated Colonizes the Moon. How should this affect the US electoral System? Meaning would the Moon be given status like a State? A Territory?
Consider a Colony with a Governor and Court of Law. Military and or Police Security Force. Would they get a Senator and Congressmen or women? Would it affect our process now?

A Kicker would be.....a US citizen born on the Moon and able to run for the Presidency.

They should appoint you Dictator of the Moon conservative Paradise!:mrgreen:

They should appoint you Dictator of the Moon conservative Paradise!:mrgreen:

Nah.....I doubt the conservatives would go for me as such. They couldn't stand for Gangsta Rap being played in the Halls of Justice.
yo2.gif

We should appoint a Moon Czar and I recommend Newt Gingrich, the one guy who kept the faith in this.

We should appoint a Moon Czar and I recommend Newt Gingrich, the one guy who kept the faith in this.

Heya SP. :2wave: Well NASA and Air Space Command thinks for some reason this issue is viable. Already Plans are to have a base on the Moon by 2024. That's Built. Starting in 2020. 4yrs to build. Then people living and working there.

If the United Stated Colonizes the Moon. How should this affect the US electoral System? Meaning would the Moon be given status like a State? A Territory?
Consider a Colony with a Governor and Court of Law. Military and or Police Security Force. Would they get a Senator and Congressmen or women? Would it affect our process now?

A Kicker would be.....a US citizen born on the Moon and able to run for the Presidency.

I'd suggest that we treat it like the District of Columbia or, better yet, just move DC there. All elected officials get a free ride to the moon where they will have meeting rooms, gavels, lecterns, and all kinds of other government type stuff. We vote once to send them and once more to let them come back.

Heya SP. :2wave: Well NASA and Air Space Command thinks for some reason this issue is viable. Already Plans are to have a base on the Moon by 2024. That's Built. Starting in 2020. 4yrs to build. Then people living and working there.

I'm delighted. If they control the flow of moon rocks, we can sell them for enough to pay down the deficit.

Much like the western states in frontier days. Colonies would begin as territories, and later rise to statehood when they met certain criteria.

Eventually, as with the New World Colonies of our history, they would secede and become their own countries, if they managed to achieve self-sustaining systems... which would probably require some very advanced technology, but it could happen.

Actually it is an interesting question. At first I think it be something like marshal law with an appointed leader rom Earth.

I'd suggest that we treat it like the District of Columbia or, better yet, just move DC there. All elected officials get a free ride to the moon where they will have meeting rooms, gavels, lecterns, and all kinds of other government type stuff. We vote once to send them and once more to let them come back.

Heya Luther. :2wave: That's a possibility too. Like the District of Colombia. Which if one thinks about it and this is done. Then a Decade away both these parties will be thinking on how to play it as the Man in the Moon. :lol:

I'm cool with that, as long as they are all equipped with an outdoor balcony for their amusement.

(That would probably take care of at least 50% of our elected officials via Darwin Awards...)

I think it will be about controlling the Water and Air. ;)

You don't think we should try to earn some money from the moon after spending billions to get there? What do they have thats valuable?

You don't think we should try to earn some money from the moon after spending billions to get there? What do they have thats valuable?

Well yes get what we can.....but I just told you. Water will be priceless and there is water on the moon. Course then Air. He who controls the Spice ya knows! :2razz:

This was from 2006.

Nasa to build permanent moon base

Nasa has announced plans to build a permanent base on the moon by 2024 - raising the prospect of a manned space flight to Mars.

The ambitious proposals signal the next phase of space exploration after the agency's space shuttles are retired in 2010 and marks a radical departure from previous short trips to the moon.

The international base will be permanently staffed by 2024, four years after astronauts land on the moon to begin assembly.

Once complete, astronauts from the US and other nations will spend up to six months on the base at any one time.

Nasa said the two key reasons for establishing a base were to prepare for a manned mission to Mars - and ultimately the expansion of human civilisation to other planets. The project is likely to cost hundreds of billions of dollars and involve Nasa partners in Europe, Russia and Japan, although China's participation is unlikely.

"This is not a flag-and-footprints. This is the idea of starting an outward movement that includes long stays on the moon," said John Logsdon, the director of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University.

The first step in establishing the base will be a new generation of lunar spaceships, which will undergo tests from 2009.

Manned flights will begin in 2014 and astronauts will land on the moon - for the first time since the Apollo mission of 1972 - in 2020.....snip~

Nasa to build permanent moon base | Science | theguardian.com

Well yes get what we can.....but I just told you. Water will be priceless and there is water on the moon. Course then Air. He who controls the Spice ya knows! :2razz:

This was from 2006.

Nasa has announced plans to build a permanent base on the moon by 2024 - raising the prospect of a manned space flight to Mars.

The ambitious proposals signal the next phase of space exploration after the agency's space shuttles are retired in 2010 and marks a radical departure from previous short trips to the moon.

The international base will be permanently staffed by 2024, four years after astronauts land on the moon to begin assembly.

Once complete, astronauts from the US and other nations will spend up to six months on the base at any one time.

Nasa said the two key reasons for establishing a base were to prepare for a manned mission to Mars - and ultimately the expansion of human civilisation to other planets. The project is likely to cost hundreds of billions of dollars and involve Nasa partners in Europe, Russia and Japan, although China's participation is unlikely.

"This is not a flag-and-footprints. This is the idea of starting an outward movement that includes long stays on the moon," said John Logsdon, the director of the Space Policy Institute at George Washington University.

The first step in establishing the base will be a new generation of lunar spaceships, which will undergo tests from 2009.

Manned flights will begin in 2014 and astronauts will land on the moon - for the first time since the Apollo mission of 1972 - in 2020.....snip~

Nasa to build permanent moon base | Science | theguardian.com

The only difference I am saying.....is we as a Country should Colonize the Moon first. As a Sovereign County.

Much like the western states in frontier days. Colonies would begin as territories, and later rise to statehood when they met certain criteria.

Eventually, as with the New World Colonies of our history, they would secede and become their own countries, if they managed to achieve self-sustaining systems... which would probably require some very advanced technology, but it could happen.

Heya Goshin.....I think that's how we would play it. More like a territory. Kinda like Puerto Rico.

Russia jumped onto it last year too. So we better make our move before others beat us to the show.

Less than 24 hours following LaRouche's State of the Union speech in which he declared that the only way to save mankind will be a mission to land a man on Mars, Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin proposed that the United States enter into collaboration with Russia to lay a pathway for a mission to Mars, beginning with the establishment of a permanent colony on the moon.....snip~

We need to build a dang fence to keep all those Mooninites out.

I can sell you the moon for a fair price. Then you can do what you want with it, and the US get's no say in the matter. Let me just draw up the papers...
Here we go,.. $50 for the moon.

f4lh13pl.jpg

This was from 2006.

Well, I can see a transport cost problem with something like water unless we can build a 250,000 mile flexible pipeline. OTOH, moon rock is priceless unless we flood the market. As a coin collector, I see how coins with just a tiny fragment of meteorite embedded sell for good prices. Like this:
mHAIIhWLPL1JI9inCrrkmuA.jpg

I'm sure a coin with a piece of moon rock could sell to collectors for $100s of thousands.

A very interesting question and that is something that I hope NASA and the federal government address before they decide to leave people on the moon.

I think what would work best would be to allow the colony on the moon to govern themselves. Laws that are applicable in the United States would most likely not be applicable directly on the moon, at least at the onset.

A very interesting question and that is something that I hope NASA and the federal government address before they decide to leave people on the moon.

I think what would work best would be to allow the colony on the moon to govern themselves. Laws that are applicable in the United States would most likely not be applicable directly on the moon, at least at the onset.

Mornin ICF. :2wave: I thought it would be a good question since they are actually considering doing something like this within the next 10 years. But as you can see Russia and others want to be part of it.

I just don't think we can have a colony or base with multiple zones that would be set up for different countries. Human conflict and all. It would need to be under our Control.

Also we cannot afford just to give into private investors either.....selling out some portion with one who could be a citizen of another country.

Whoever is in Control.....a governor or mayor. Must be accountable to someone. Moreover they would need representation once they had a certain amount of population living there.

The possibilities are endless. Besides normal mineral resources there are:

Sources of Helium-3
Helium-3 is highly sought for nuclear fusion, and though the technology is still in its infancy...
Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

Sources of rare earths may be prevalent on the moon:

Is Mining Rare Minerals on the Moon Vital to National Security? | NASA Lunar Science Institute

There is also the possiblity of self-sufficiency in water on the moon:

Moon water discovery hints at mystery source deep underground - NBC News.com

This does not include it's use as a natural springboard for both stellar and interstellar exploration and exploitation. Essentially it is a "natural" space station for developing our solar system.

Last edited:
The possibilities are endless. Besides normal mineral resources there are:

Sources of Helium-3
Moon potential goldmine of natural resources

Sources of rare earths may be prevalent on the moon:

Is Mining Rare Minerals on the Moon Vital to National Security? | NASA Lunar Science Institute

There is also the possiblity of self-sufficiency in water on the moon:

Moon water discovery hints at mystery source deep underground - NBC News.com

This does not include it's use as a natural springboard for both stellar and interstellar exploration and exploitation. Essentially it is a "natural" space station for developing our solar system.

Whatever it is, it needs to be small enough to transport without the cost of transport exceeding the end value. I'm just making a case for the first saleable item that came to mind.

I hope you realize that I'm for this, not against this.

Whatever it is, it needs to be small enough to transport without the cost of transport exceeding the end value. I'm just making a case for the first saleable item that came to mind.

I hope you realize that I'm for this, not against this.

So you would be for colonizing the Moon SB? What do you think about us putting a Military base there?

Back
Top Bottom