• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The modern game of bowling

00timh

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I have been a lifelong fan of the sport. I remember watching the late great Earl Anthony, Marshall Holman, Mark Roth and others during the late 70's and have followed it on and off (mostly on) since. In the past decade or so, the game has made tremendous advances in bowling ball technology. Many my age and older detest the modern game. I however find it interesting and much more entertaining as a spectator. Also more fun to do. But, while I am decent, my game hasn't changed as much as what I see on the PBA tour. Basically I just am able to hook it more than I used to. I also do not bowl enough these days so my game is not as good as it once was.

Any sport needs to evolve and grow, or it becomes stale. We see sports wax and wane with changes and ruts from a lack of evolution. IMO, bowling has beein reinvigorated by the increased ability of the modern bowling ball. We see far more players able to win, which has vastly increased the competition. Not only do we see huge variations of how the guys approach the lanes from tourney to tourney, but within the tournament itself. We also see different players playing entirely different lines to the pocket in a tournament.

As much as I enjoyed and appreciated the guys on the PBA tour that I grew up watching. You never saw guys playing such drastically different lines. I believe it has made players much better as well, as they have been forced to adapt to ever changing conditions due to the modern bowling ball making the transition and breakdown of the oil pattern several times as fast as the bowling balls in the past. Kudos to the sport for allowing it to evolve and change, not holding it back. It was a great game 30 years ago, and an even better one today.

I too am an avid bowler. I took up the sport about 5 years ago and carry a 200 avg right now. I grew up with my parents bowling on leagues and you are right, the game has changed. I remember the bowling balls they used in the late 70s early 80s were plastic (urethane) and most were a solid core with no weight blocks. No we have ultra abrasive reactive cover stocks and heavily weighted balls. I think the balls became what they are now because of the different oil patterns and synthetic lane coverings. So many people were able to bowl 300s they had to make it more challenging so they changed the lanes to keep up with the technology in bowling balls. I remember bowling as a kid and the ball went perfectly straight. Now I have to start at board 35 and throw out to board 5 just to make the pocket.

I find the game very challenging but rewarding when things go the right way. Consistancy is still the key to the game.

I have two cousins who are much better than myself, unfortunately I don't bowl much at this time but they are both proud holders of 300 games. One of them has two perfects and one of the nastiest hooks I've ever seen, he will throw the ball and hook 3/4ths of it over the gutter and ride it about a foot then pull it for a perfect strike, I have a mediocre hook with flashes of inspired throws but I still love to play.

I too am an avid bowler. I took up the sport about 5 years ago and carry a 200 avg right now. I grew up with my parents bowling on leagues and you are right, the game has changed. I remember the bowling balls they used in the late 70s early 80s were plastic (urethane) and most were a solid core with no weight blocks. No we have ultra abrasive reactive cover stocks and heavily weighted balls. I think the balls became what they are now because of the different oil patterns and synthetic lane coverings. So many people were able to bowl 300s they had to make it more challenging so they changed the lanes to keep up with the technology in bowling balls. I remember bowling as a kid and the ball went perfectly straight. Now I have to start at board 35 and throw out to board 5 just to make the pocket.

I find the game very challenging but rewarding when things go the right way. Consistancy is still the key to the game.
The most aggressive or strongest hooking balls generally are difficult for average league play. At the very least, go tothe pro shop and see if it can be re drilled for a delayed response that will allow you to not have to play so far inside. The problem is for most league play is that there is not as much oil on the lanes and if you don't start the ball way to the left and flare it out you are going to go left of the headpin. But, such an extreme angle can cause problems. That is why you see the PBA bowlers attempting to preserve the oil in the middle of the lane so they don't have to cross so many boards. Either have a weaker ball for the later games when the oil breaks down or a weaker drilling so that the ball does not want to hook as quick.

Its still fun to throw the big hook, and by all means creating a strong angle of attack, but that can be done without having to cross so many boards with the right ball and drilled for a later response.

No doubt. I have 4 balls that I take every time I play. Roto Grip Rougue Cell sanded 2000 Abralon drilled for heavy hook. I play this ball on some sport shots and house shots that are very fresh. After the first game it goes back into the bag. I then switch to my Storm Invasion that has a stock finish on it. Or my other Rougue Cell that has a been worked and is quite a bit less abrasive. If the lanes are dry I use my Roto Grip Pearl Mutant Cell. I can move to about board 20 using this ball and play much straighter but It will not work on anything that even looks like oil.

I have a high rev rate and quite a bit of power so the ball is moving when it gets there. My biggest issue is spares right now. I have been working on it and most of it is due to not locking out my wrist and throwing straight at the pin. Its always the 10 that gets me. This seems to be a problem for right handed bowlers that have such a strong hook. I will get it figured out eventually. I guess that is why the game is so attractive to me. It is a challenge to be consistent.

I have two cousins who are much better than myself, unfortunately I don't bowl much at this time but they are both proud holders of 300 games. One of them has two perfects and one of the nastiest hooks I've ever seen, he will throw the ball and hook 3/4ths of it over the gutter and ride it about a foot then pull it for a perfect strike, I have a mediocre hook with flashes of inspired throws but I still love to play.

I only have one 300 game ( 9 Pin and Wi) LOL!!!! My highest game to date is a 289.

I only have one 300 game ( 9 Pin and Wi) LOL!!!! My highest game to date is a 289.
You've got a better roll than me, I hook decently when I'm on but need to work on my focus and control. I bested around 190-200 but I know I have more potential than that.

No doubt. I have 4 balls that I take every time I play. Roto Grip Rougue Cell sanded 2000 Abralon drilled for heavy hook. I play this ball on some sport shots and house shots that are very fresh. After the first game it goes back into the bag. I then switch to my Storm Invasion that has a stock finish on it. Or my other Rougue Cell that has a been worked and is quite a bit less abrasive. If the lanes are dry I use my Roto Grip Pearl Mutant Cell. I can move to about board 20 using this ball and play much straighter but It will not work on anything that even looks like oil.

I have a high rev rate and quite a bit of power so the ball is moving when it gets there. My biggest issue is spares right now. I have been working on it and most of it is due to not locking out my wrist and throwing straight at the pin. Its always the 10 that gets me. This seems to be a problem for right handed bowlers that have such a strong hook. I will get it figured out eventually. I guess that is why the game is so attractive to me. It is a challenge to be consistent.
I can't say enough good about the Storm line, love the snap on their resin bowling balls. My one gripe is that they don't like heat/humidity changes and the outer shell tends to crack easily, but that is not a terrible tradeoff for the performance.

I used to love the columbia balls back in the 90's. If they got too dry I would put away the pirahna or the cuda and go to urethane. Not usually though, they had to be real burnt. I could make the reactives work on almost any condition that they were putting down at the time other than fried lanes. Now though I think the columbia line tends to turn too quick for most house shots. I swear its because of Barnes. That is his style and he's their boy. Its a great product for sport patterns but hard to deal with for most house shots. I think Storm/rotogrip has the most to offer these days. although you can drill any ball and get a decent result, it just takes more figuring with columbia.

I can't say enough good about the Storm line, love the snap on their resin bowling balls. My one gripe is that they don't like heat/humidity changes and the outer shell tends to crack easily, but that is not a terrible tradeoff for the performance.
Yeah, I agree and so it seems does the PBA winners most weeks. Although the VG nano is too strong for them except for the long patterns, its a great ball for us mortals. Get one of those and then the pearl which will just delay the hook when the front starts caving and you don't have to make such a huge move with the transition. I think you see a lot of league bowlers have better 1st and 2nd games because they have to start moving deep inside, or have to change to a completly different ball or drill pattern. Those two balls plus a weaker one for the burnt conditions and you are good to go.

I was first alternate for the 4 man bowling team at my university back in 1972, but I was never good enough to crack the top 4. I smoked too much pot back then, anyway, and was often too stoned to remember to show up, so I stopped bowling altogether.

I wouldn't mind taking it up again if I could find somebody to go with.

I was first alternate for the 4 man bowling team at my university back in 1972, but I was never good enough to crack the top 4. I smoked too much pot back then, anyway, and was often too stoned to remember to show up, so I stopped bowling altogether.

Check the local leagues. There are plenty around that cater to all skill levels.

You've got a better roll than me, I hook decently when I'm on but need to work on my focus and control. I bested around 190-200 but I know I have more potential than that.

I wish I could say it was natural, but I would be a lie. It has taken me 3 solid years to get comfortable with all aspects of my throw. A lot of injury has occurred because of it. Neck and back gave me fits. But now stretching before games helps, and of course a few adult beverages help too!

Hang in there you will get your average up. It just takes time and tons of practice.

I started out with the storm balls. My first one was the Tropical Storm. I liked the ball but it was chipping really bad. I had it for about 2 months and it looked like I had thrown it down the street.

I love the Invasion but it does soak up the oil. I knew that going in so I make sure I keep it clean. My Dad is a huge Storm guy. Switched from Roto Grip last Year. They seem to work very well for him. I really like the Rougue Cell for some reason. But I am eyeing the Outlaw and The Frantic as my next two choices.

I used to love the columbia balls back in the 90's. If they got too dry I would put away the pirahna or the cuda and go to urethane. Not usually though, they had to be real burnt. I could make the reactives work on almost any condition that they were putting down at the time other than fried lanes. Now though I think the columbia line tends to turn too quick for most house shots. I swear its because of Barnes. That is his style and he's their boy. Its a great product for sport patterns but hard to deal with for most house shots. I think Storm/rotogrip has the most to offer these days. although you can drill any ball and get a decent result, it just takes more figuring with columbia.

I have started to see more and more Columbia balls at the house. Some younger guys are throwing them and doing well. I am sure being Chris Barnes fans have something to do with it. He is an amazing bowler. I am a Wes Mallot fan myself. He makes it look easy to throw that hard.

RotoGrip was on top two years ago but I would have to say Storm made a huge comeback since then. Its real close between them two as to has the most competitive equip right now.

I have a hard enough time bowling and having a beer or two. Can't imagine trying to bowl stoned. I am sure it wouldn't be pretty.

I started out with the storm balls. My first one was the Tropical Storm. I liked the ball but it was chipping really bad. I had it for about 2 months and it looked like I had thrown it down the street.

I love the Invasion but it does soak up the oil. I knew that going in so I make sure I keep it clean. My Dad is a huge Storm guy. Switched from Roto Grip last Year. They seem to work very well for him. I really like the Rougue Cell for some reason. But I am eyeing the Outlaw and The Frantic as my next two choices.
Storm and roto grip are the same company. You see the guys on tour and they will use both if they are on the storm staff, storm being the parent. The Invasion is a strong ball, atually a bit stronger I believe than the original VG. When you saw the pros using it a couple of years ago most of them really had to circle the lanes with it. Medium to long pattern worked good with it. I think so long as the house shot isn't too beaten up its still a good ball to have. I am thinking of getting back into the game next year after I get married. Of course by that time all new balls will be out so the ones we are taling about now is kinda a mute point lol.

I think it's all about mechanics. Storms work for me because of the late snap they have, my cousin would send it into orbit with his delivery and he was using Rhino for the longest time lost track of his latest choices. There are so many options now I don't even know half of the market, I can still remember when you had Brunswick, Columbia, or other lol.

Storm and roto grip are the same company. You see the guys on tour and they will use both if they are on the storm staff, storm being the parent. The Invasion is a strong ball, atually a bit stronger I believe than the original VG. When you saw the pros using it a couple of years ago most of them really had to circle the lanes with it. Medium to long pattern worked good with it. I think so long as the house shot isn't too beaten up its still a good ball to have. I am thinking of getting back into the game next year after I get married. Of course by that time all new balls will be out so the ones we are taling about now is kinda a mute point lol.

Yeah it is funny how many people do not realize they are the same company. A couple of weeks ago they had a seminar and ball try out at a local house. They brought the new balls from both companies and you got a chance to throw them. I missed out because of work, but they represented both brands.

The Invasion is a pretty strong ball but I find the Rougue Cell to be stronger. May be just me though. I can use the Invasion a little longer than I can my sanded Rougue.

You are right though. Whatever is hot now won't be a year from now. When you get back in to it keep us posted on your progress. Never know you may have never missed a beat.

I think it's all about mechanics. Storms work for me because of the late snap they have, my cousin would send it into orbit with his delivery and he was using Rhino for the longest time lost track of his latest choices. There are so many options now I don't even know half of the market, I can still remember when you had Brunswick, Columbia, or other lol.

If you like a ball that has a late snap or flip you should try to get your hands on a Hammer Black Widow. Not sure if there new balls still have the flip skid cover but that thing looked like a remote controlled ball. I tried a Hammer Black Widow Nasty and it bit so hard I was missing everything but the 7 pin. WAY too aggressive for me.

If you like a ball that has a late snap or flip you should try to get your hands on a Hammer Black Widow. Not sure if there new balls still have the flip skid cover but that thing looked like a remote controlled ball. I tried a Hammer Black Widow Nasty and it bit so hard I was missing everything but the 7 pin. WAY too aggressive for me.
I forgot about the Hammer brand! Really good ball, I think that would probably get away from me but when I look to buy a new one may have to at least ask about it. You're right though, most balls today glide better and they do make the game more exciting.

Yeah it is funny how many people do not realize they are the same company. A couple of weeks ago they had a seminar and ball try out at a local house. They brought the new balls from both companies and you got a chance to throw them. I missed out because of work, but they represented both brands.

The Invasion is a pretty strong ball but I find the Rougue Cell to be stronger. May be just me though. I can use the Invasion a little longer than I can my sanded Rougue.

You are right though. Whatever is hot now won't be a year from now. When you get back in to it keep us posted on your progress. Never know you may have never missed a beat.
Every few months or so I go try the old balls and I have a couple of buddies and One of them especially has got a grip close enough to mine so that I get an idea of what the balls are doing. I remember trying the columbia freeze I think it was, good ball, but I had problems with it starting early. It hit strong but either it would break too early from the outside, or the inside, and when I would send it out farther to the right it didn't want to turn. I felt like it was spending all its energy early. I go with my kids and was given an old rhino gold, its actually still a fairly impressive ball and shoot typically 180 with it. I figure if I pick it back up in the fall, by the end of the season I will be flirting with scratch again, which was where I was at back in the 90's. I think my best league average was 197.

Every few months or so I go try the old balls and I have a couple of buddies and One of them especially has got a grip close enough to mine so that I get an idea of what the balls are doing. I remember trying the columbia freeze I think it was, good ball, but I had problems with it starting early. It hit strong but either it would break too early from the outside, or the inside, and when I would send it out farther to the right it didn't want to turn. I felt like it was spending all its energy early. I go with my kids and was given an old rhino gold, its actually still a fairly impressive ball and shoot typically 180 with it. I figure if I pick it back up in the fall, by the end of the season I will be flirting with scratch again, which was where I was at back in the 90's. I think my best league average was 197.

Thats cool that you still get out and paly when you get the chance. I try to go whenever possible. I try to sneak away from work and hit the lanes by myself sometimes. If I don't get interrupted i have a good practice.

My friend has a Freeze. He bowls every once in a while and wanted a decent ball that is not too aggressive. He has the worst bowling form I have ever seen. But he has fun. Mainly likes to go and hang out drink a few. I threw it a few times and it seems like a pretty good ball. With its pearl like finish it doesnt break soon enough for me and I tend to miss right of the pocket.

I would love to get my hands on one of those Gold Rhinos. That is the metal flake gold ball right? I would use that for plastic ball tournaments. Wait is it plastic or uerethane?

Thats cool that you still get out and paly when you get the chance. I try to go whenever possible. I try to sneak away from work and hit the lanes by myself sometimes. If I don't get interrupted i have a good practice.

My friend has a Freeze. He bowls every once in a while and wanted a decent ball that is not too aggressive. He has the worst bowling form I have ever seen. But he has fun. Mainly likes to go and hang out drink a few. I threw it a few times and it seems like a pretty good ball. With its pearl like finish it doesnt break soon enough for me and I tend to miss right of the pocket.

I would love to get my hands on one of those Gold Rhinos. That is the metal flake gold ball right? I would use that for plastic ball tournaments. Wait is it plastic or uerethane?
The Rhino gold was one of the 1st generation reactives. I was doing some surfing on some of the 90's balls and some guys will still use one occasionally when the lanes break down but not to the point when they are fried. That ball still gets nothing but great reviews. It is still a great ball for house shots, as it hits strong but doesn't over react. As for the freeze, the one I used probably wasn't drilled well for me. Its a medium hook ball so that is prob why I couldn't get it to turn hard and it was using up energy due to the early roll it likely had.

The Rhino gold was one of the 1st generation reactives. I was doing some surfing on some of the 90's balls and some guys will still use one occasionally when the lanes break down but not to the point when they are fried. That ball still gets nothing but great reviews. It is still a great ball for house shots, as it hits strong but doesn't over react. As for the freeze, the one I used probably wasn't drilled well for me. Its a medium hook ball so that is prob why I couldn't get it to turn hard and it was using up energy due to the early roll it likely had.

I may have to try to find one of those Rhino's I wonder if a guy can find one that has not been drilled? Would love to have one.

I agree on the Freeze. It moves but not nearly enough for me. It works pretty good for my buddy though. He doesn't have a lot of power in his swing so it works out for him.

Back
Top Bottom