• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Mendacity Behind Obama's Mockery of the Cash-for-Iran Story

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"It is not at all clear to me why it is that cash, as opposed to a check or wire transfer, has made this into a news story."

-- President Barack Obama, Pentagon Press Conference, August 4, 2016

Thus did President Obama scold those who are now asking why his administration secretly airlifted $400 million worth of cash to Iran this past January, just as Iran was releasing four American prisoners. By Obama's account, there's nothing to see here. Not only did Obama deny, despite the striking coincidence of timing, that the payment was a ransom. He also mocked anyone who might see the story of the cash itself as troubling news, or newsworthy at all. Obama dismissed such reactions as "the manufacturing of outrage in a story that we disclosed in January."

https://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett/t...y-of-the-cash-for-iran-story/?singlepage=true

"It is not at all clear to me why it is that cash, as opposed to a check or wire transfer, has made this into a news story."

Thus did President Obama scold those who are now asking why his administration secretly airlifted $400 million worth of cash to Iran this past January, just as Iran was releasing four American prisoners. By Obama's account, there's nothing to see here. Not only did Obama deny, despite the striking coincidence of timing, that the payment was a ransom. He also mocked anyone who might see the story of the cash itself as troubling news, or newsworthy at all. Obama dismissed such reactions as "the manufacturing of outrage in a story that we disclosed in January."

https://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett/t...y-of-the-cash-for-iran-story/?singlepage=true

see this is what is wrong with your posts...they lack truth. the transfer was announced when it happened.

If this had occurred with a Republican in the White House, and Democrats in control of Congress, people would be going to jail - oh wait - it did happen before, and people were convicted of their crimes, as well as Congress held hearing carried LIVE by every TV channel across the globe. Iran-Contra ring a bell?

I wonder what will happen this time? Care to predict? How will the free press treat this? Any Pulitzers for a Watergate-esque exposé of in-depth investigations?

Here's a clue - HELL NO. Breaking the law and ignoring the Constitution is par for the course with this current class of politicians and their sycophants in the press and in the general public.

If this had occurred with a Republican in the White House, and Democrats in control of Congress, people would be going to jail - oh wait - it did happen before, and people were convicted of their crimes, as well as Congress held hearing carried LIVE by every TV channel across the globe. Iran-Contra ring a bell?

Hypothesis contrary to fact.
I wonder what will happen this time? Care to predict? How will the free press treat this? Any Pulitzers for a Watergate-esque exposé of in-depth investigations?

Here's a clue - HELL NO. Breaking the law and ignoring the Constitution is par for the course with this current class of politicians and their sycophants in the press and in the general public.

What law was broken here?

what law was broken?

I've read that other thread. There is no credible indication that any laws were broken.

Credible in your eyes, or the eyes of the law? Anyone that can read and has a basic level of cognitive ability can see and understand that the law was in fact broken. The exception of course being the partisans that refuse to even imagine that it's even potentially possible. Where do you fall?

Luckily he will get away with this because he is not a Republican.

Credible in your eyes, or the eyes of the law? Anyone that can read and has a basic level of cognitive ability can see and understand that the law was in fact broken.

No, sorry, that's simply not the case. Bare assertions are no substitute for a rational argument.
The exception of course being the partisans that refuse to even imagine that it's even potentially possible. Where do you fall?

I can imagine pretty much anything, but I don't have to imagine that you simply saying he broke the law doesn't somehow, magically, prove that he did.

No, sorry, that's simply not the case. Bare assertions are no substitute for a rational argument.

I can imagine pretty much anything, but I don't have to imagine that you simply saying he broke the law doesn't somehow, magically, prove that he did.

Reading the letter of the law is not an assertion, it's a statement of fact. If that's not substantial enough for you to have a rational discussion, then I thank you for the warning and I will leave you to it.

see this is what is wrong with your posts...they lack truth. the transfer was announced when it happened.

Really?

Can you link to the story that says, "Hostages released after US pays $400,000 in currency from other countries".

Trust in government, any government, is at an all time low now, and rightly so. The only comment I can make here, and it comes from one of the hostages, is that apparently the hostages were on a plane, on the tarmac, in Iran, awaiting departure and when the hostages asked why they weren't leaving, or being allowed to leave, they were told by their Iranian handlers that they were waiting for a plane to land and if that plane didn't arrive they wouldn't be leaving.

I'm not sure anyone knows the truth here and clearly this American administration is one of the most secretive in recent memory - you just have to listen to claims of being transparent to know they're hiding a ton of stuff. But there does seem to be a link of some sort between the arrival of the cash and the release of the hostages. Was that ransom? Or was that the release of some funds legally owed the Iranians? Does it matter?

Trust in government, any government, is at an all time low now, and rightly so. The only comment I can make here, and it comes from one of the hostages, is that apparently the hostages were on a plane, on the tarmac, in Iran, awaiting departure and when the hostages asked why they weren't leaving, or being allowed to leave, they were told by their Iranian handlers that they were waiting for a plane to land and if that plane didn't arrive they wouldn't be leaving.

I'm not sure anyone knows the truth here and clearly this American administration is one of the most secretive in recent memory - you just have to listen to claims of being transparent to know they're hiding a ton of stuff. But there does seem to be a link of some sort between the arrival of the cash and the release of the hostages. Was that ransom? Or was that the release of some funds legally owed the Iranians? Does it matter?

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

It didn't seem to me that the women were all that ready to leave, since there was some question of where they were since the others were there and waiting to depart. Of course, if the women were being detained, that would answer that question, but it sounded like the entire deal was in danger of falling apart if the women (wives?) were not immediately brought to the plane! They arrived not too long after... :shock: The last I read was that five hostages were released, but that was yesterday's news...

Last edited:
Reading the letter of the law is not an assertion, it's a statement of fact. If that's not substantial enough for you to have a rational discussion, then I thank you for the warning and I will leave you to it.

So why don't you post a link to the law you're referring to?

Read the other thread that lays out exactly what laws were broken.

Edit: Oh, and thank you both for providing a QED to the last sentence of my previous post.

your post is just an attempt at deflection

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

It didn't seem to me that the women were all that ready to leave, since there was some question of where they were since the others were there and waiting to depart. Of course, if the women were being detained, that would answer that question, but it sounded like the entire deal was in danger of falling apart if the women (wives?) were not immediately brought to the plane! They arrived not too long after... :shock:

Good evening Lady P - nice to hear from you - hope all is well and you're enjoying this dry, humid, hot summer we're having.

I hadn't heard that story. These were Iranian wives of the American hostages? If so, sounds like the hostages weren't all that much in danger.

Anyway, not much this administration does is as it seems.

Good evening Lady P - nice to hear from you - hope all is well and you're enjoying this dry, humid, hot summer we're having.

I hadn't heard that story. These were Iranian wives of the American hostages? If so, sounds like the hostages weren't all that much in danger.

Anyway, not much this administration does is as it seems.

The names of the "hostages" were given yesterday, and they all sounded Iranian to me - I even mentioned it in one of my posts yesterday, but I don't know how much truth is being told about this odd story in the first place.

Was the reduction in interest payments from $8 billion dollars down to the slightly less than $2 billion dollars the compensation to us for those Americans who were arbitrarily beheaded over the years, which they arrogantly televised so everyone could watch what bad a***s they are? :bs:

*Sorry for my bitterness, , but I'm not happy with any of the players in this latest story!*

Last edited:
The names of the "hostages" were given yesterday, and they all sounded Iranian to me - I even mentioned it in one of my posts yesterday, but I don't know how much truth is being told about this odd story in the first place.

Was the reduction in interest payments from $8 billion dollars down to the slightly less than $2 billion dollars the compensation to us for those Americans who were arbitrarily beheaded over the years, which they arrogantly televised so everyone could watch what bad a***s they are? :bs:

*Sorry for my bitterness, , but I'm not happy with any of the players in this latest story!*

No need to be sorry for being angry - more citizens should be angry when stuff like this is perpetrated by our governments, but many of us are too busy with our own lives to care or act so politicians and bureaucrats assume they can get away with it.

your post is just an attempt at deflection

How the heck am I deflecting by referring to the law, and then you guys post exactly what I predicted? If your support for illegal actions is difficult for you to admit, then stop doing it, and do as I do, which is to call out criminal and un-Constitutional acts regardless of the party that does it. Or... not. Your choice.

How the heck am I deflecting by referring to the law, and then you guys post exactly what I predicted? If your support for illegal actions is difficult for you to admit, then stop doing it, and do as I do, which is to call out criminal and un-Constitutional acts regardless of the party that does it. Or... not. Your choice.

there is no criminal except what you make up.

Read the other thread that lays out exactly what laws were broken.

Edit: Oh, and thank you both for providing a QED to the last sentence of my previous post.

That was, at best, a QEF.

Back
Top Bottom