• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Meg Whitman kind - good or bad idea?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
What is your opinion of companies and corporations in general?

Do you want your city, state or country run with those same ethics and efforts?

Overall - would someone *like* Meg Whitman (not necessary *just* Meg Whitman in mind) - but someone *like* her to *run* your city, state or country?

_______
My view:
I *thought* it sounded like a good idea for a while - if someone knows how to keep a company afloat and out of bankruptcy and debt then surely they'd be able to exert the same effective governance to the city/state/country.
HOWEVER - it occurred to me that such 'good business growth' = fees and heavier regulation.
I don't shop or sell (for example) online on Ebay *because* all the fees, ect, that made it such an empire ALSO make it unsavory for my small-shopping and selling needs and wants. . . where the little person is often overlooked or just taken advantage of - rather than benefited in any way.

What is your opinion of companies and corporations in general?

Do you want your city, state or country run with those same ethics and efforts?

Overall - would someone *like* Meg Whitman (not necessary *just* Meg Whitman in mind) - but someone *like* her to *run* your city, state or country?

_______
My view:
I *thought* it sounded like a good idea for a while - if someone knows how to keep a company afloat and out of bankruptcy and debt then surely they'd be able to exert the same effective governance to the city/state/country.
HOWEVER - it occurred to me that such 'good business growth' = fees and heavier regulation.
I don't shop or sell (for example) online on Ebay *because* all the fees, ect, that made it such an empire ALSO make it unsavory for my small-shopping and selling needs and wants. . . where the little person is often overlooked or just taken advantage of - rather than benefited in any way.

seriously? of COURSE corporations don't care about you or your needs. obama is attempting to help small business, though. and while i wouldn't have voted for romney, i think he might have made an ok president. MUCH better than any of the other republican candidates.

I don't think CEO's should be automatically judged by their profession. Like most jobs, you can find good or bad people holding it. Whitman herself is a pretty middle of the road example. She did a decent job of running Ebay, no major failures but no major successes either. I consider her a tolerable candidate for governor, although I doubt she could make much progress on the serious problems facing California at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom