• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students Confronting a Native American Veteran - Hit & Run : Reason.com

This is an excellent article over what really happened:

But the rest of the video—nearly two hours of additional footage showing what happened before and after the encounter—adds important context that strongly contradicts the media's narrative.
Far from engaging in racially motivated harassment, the group of mostly white, MAGA-hat-wearing male teenagers remained relatively calm and restrained despite being subjected to incessant racist, homophobic, and bigoted verbal abuse by members of the bizarre religious sect Black Hebrew Israelites, who were lurking nearby. The BHI has existed since the late 19th century, and is best describes as a black nationalist cult movement; its members believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites, and often express condemnation of white people, Christians, and gays. DC-area Black Hebrews are known to spout particularly vile bigotry.
Phillips put himself between the teens and the black nationalists, chanting and drumming as he marched straight into the middle of the group of young people. What followed was several minutes of confusion: The teens couldn't quite decide whether Phillips was on their side or not, but tentatively joined in his chanting. It's not at all clear this was intended as an act of mockery rather than solidarity.

While it seems that Phillips was trying to diffuse the situation, things got confused, including him. The true bad guys in this whole thing seems to be the Black Hebrews.

But then again, why would high school students be at a political rally of any kind? Groups shouldnt be using children for political purposes.

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students Confronting a Native American Veteran - Hit & Run : Reason.com

While it seems that Phillips was trying to diffuse the situation, things got confused, including him. The true bad guys in this whole thing seems to be the Black Hebrews.

But then again, why would high school students be at a political rally of any kind? Groups shouldnt be using children for political purposes.

1. Yes, it is an excellent article, one which provides clarity of information which should be repeated in every MSN outlet as widely as the initial smear campaign so that the false narrative can be wiped from the public mind. Apologies should be extended by anyone who was involved in attacking that youth who did nothing but stand and smile when confronted by someone drumming in his face.

2. The school is a Catholic school, and apparently anti-abortion. It would not be unusual for religious-based schools to allow students to participate in such marches. Moreover, I recall several American public schools allowed students upset after the school shooting in Florida to organize protests and participate in marches. I also recall several times as a school kid in the 60's and 70's being involved in school protests. :shrug:

Last edited:
The media most certainly mischaracterized this situation. They took an out of context clip and used it to attack Donald Trump, because anything with MAGA hats involved gets clicks. **** those black israelites. They are all scumbags.

But then again, why would high school students be at a political rally of any kind? Groups shouldn't be using children for political purposes.
I'm certain Phillips did not aim to diffuse the situation. His confrontational posturing and banging a drum inches away from the teen student was aggressive behavior. Further, despite the fact that the teen didn't say a word, raise a hand toward or even lean into Phillips, Phillips broadcast to anyone who'd listen that he was the victim of hatred and racism. Further, outright lies were told about what the Catholic students were chanting and thus far, I have watched many long videos of the even and not once did I hear ANY student tell the NAs to "go home" or "leave" or "build the wall".

I think we have a seasoned, radical Left-wing protester vs. a naive kid who had no clue what he was in the middle of.

The young teen, his mates and even boys not even in at the event have been doxxed, maligned and threatened. Meanwhile, Mr. Phillips is left unaccountable for the ****storm he produced.

1. Yes, it is an excellent article, one which provides clarity of information which should be repeated in every MSN outlet as widely as the initial smear campaign so that the false narrative can be wiped from the public mind. Apologies should be extended by anyone who was involved in attacking that youth who did nothing but stand and smile when confronted by someone drumming in his face.

2. The school is a Catholic school, and apparently anti-abortion. It would not be unusual for religious-based schools to participate in such marches. Moreover, I recall several American public schools allowed students upset after the school shooting in Florida to organize protests and participate in marches. I also recall several times as a school kid in the 60's and 70's being involved in school protests. :shrug:

Schools near me are considering giving 2-3 "protest days" to students as excused absences.

The media most certainly mischaracterized this situation. They took an out of context clip and used it to attack Donald Trump

It is not out of context. It was clearly an attempt to mock the native american. I work with kids like this. I know how they think.

I'm certain Phillips did not aim to diffuse the situation. His confrontational posturing and banging a drum inches away from the teen student was aggressive behavior.

You've got to be kidding...

You've got to be kidding ...

Nope, I am not. Doesn't matter what the Black Hebrews were doing, the kids were clearly mocking the native american.

It is not out of context. It was clearly an attempt to mock the native american. I work with kids like this. I know how they think.

I am not comfortable with comments like these.

It is out of context. It was claimed that the MAGA kids were the main agressors in that situation. That is blatantly false, as per the full video shows. That was the black Israelites, without a shadow of a doubt. It was also claimed that the MAGA kids confronted the native american protester. Which is not true, as he walked up to them.

My question is more ... what situation was that drum beater trying to diffuse?!?

A boatload of white high-school boys got bombarded with racial slurs, threats of physical harm, insults etc. etc. etc. by 3 or 4 black adults and the boys did not retaliate in any way.

And the drum beater goes to the group that is being attacked ... "to diffuse the situation"?!?

Hellllohoooh ... :lol:

It is out of context. It was claimed that the MAGA kids were the main agressors in that situation. That is blatantly false, as per the full video shows. That was the black Israelites, without a shadow of a doubt. It was also claimed that the MAGA kids confronted the native american protester. Which is not true, as he walked up to them.

Actually, what happened according to the native american (Phillips) is the MAGA kids and the Black Israelites/Hebrews were exchanging insults, the kids went away then came back with more kids, went away and came back with even more kids. They exchanged racial taunts and that is when Phillips stepped in between the groups. The kid is staring the man down trying to intimidate/bully him while other kids laugh and mock him. Nothing out of context about that.

Nope, I am not. Doesn't matter what the Black Hebrews were doing, the kids were clearly mocking the native american.

You have evidence of this claim of yours?

Yeah, after reading more on the incident, I came to the same conclusion...blown waaay outta proportion by the media, as usual...the Native American did say his first interaction with the students came when they entered an area permitted for the Indigenous Peoples March so both teenage groups were in the wrong in that sense, imo but all 3 groups added to escalating the problem...the students should not have been in that area in the first place...

A Native American who was seen in an online video being taunted outside the Lincoln Memorial said Sunday he felt compelled to get between two groups with his ceremonial drum to defuse a confrontation. Nathan Phillips says in an interview with the AP that he was trying to keep peace between some Kentucky high school students and a black religious group that was also on the National Mall on Friday. The students were participating in the March for Life, which drew thousands of anti-abortion protesters, and Phillips was attending the Indigenous Peoples March happening the same day. "Something caused me to put myself between (them)—it was black and white," says Phillips, who lives in Ypsilanti, Michigan. "What I saw was my country being torn apart. I couldn't stand by and let that happen."

Videos show a youth standing very close to Phillips and staring at him as he sang and played the drum. Other students—some in "Make America Great Again" hats and sweatshirts—were chanting, laughing, and jeering. Other videos also showed members of the religious group, who appear to be affiliated with the Black Hebrew Israelite movement, yelling disparaging and profane insults at the students, who taunt them in return. Phillips said his first interaction with the students came when they entered an area permitted for the Indigenous Peoples March. "They were making remarks to each other ... (such as) 'In my state those Indians are nothing but a bunch of drunks.' How do I report that?" he said. "These young people were just roughshodding through our space, like what's been going on for 500 years here—just walking through our territories, feeling like 'this is ours."

Native American Man Nathan Phillips Explains Why He Got Between Catholic Students and a Black Religious Group Shouting Insults Outside the Lincoln Memorial

Actually, what happened according to the native american (Phillips) is the MAGA kids and the Black Israelites/Hebrews were exchanging insults, the kids went away then came back with more kids, went away and came back with even more kids. They exchanged racial taunts and that is when Phillips stepped in between the groups. The kid is staring the man down trying to intimidate/bully him while other kids laugh and mock him. Nothing out of context about that.

Here is the full video posted by the Black Hebrews themselves:

That "story" is not supported by any of the video evidence. Repeating it does not change the facts one bit. :coffeepap:

Last edited:

You work with Christian kids who support Pro-Life?

You're a good man ...

You work with Christian kids who support Pro-Life?

You're a good man ...

I work with Christian kids, Muslim kids, Buddhist kids, Jewish kids, pro-life kids, pro-choice kids...

Yup, the video of the kid staring down Phillips and all his buddies mocking him.

You realise that there is a two-hour long video of the incident in question, that demonstrates that the narrative buzz around this video is false, right? That clip is an out of context snippet of a much larger incident.

That "story" is not supported by any of the video evidence. Repeating it does not change the facts one bit. :coffeepap:

What did I say that is contradicted by the video evidence? Be specific.

Tons of videos out there showing these young adults being taunted and people acting aggressively towards them. Just hours of it. They wanted to paint the kids as bad guys, but have somehow failed to come up with 5 seconds of the kids saying anything rude or misbehaving in any way. Not much for caring what Philips says here.

I will go with the tons of videos showing these teens behaving properly until I see Any footage of them doing a single thing wrong.

How can a kid, who is like 5 foot 2, 120 pounds intimidate a man twice his size?

Back
Top Bottom