• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students

I would. You think I don't know about obnoxious teenagers being the mother of 3 myself?

the real assholes apparently were the black cult nutcases. I suspect they don't support Trump.

How do you know he specifically walked up to that kid?
Because there is video evidence of him doing it.

After we have been given a full unedited video shoing the Black Isrealites spending an hour attacking the Indian group, a full half hour racially attacking the teens, and throught the full video attacking everyone in between from blacks to women to homosexuals and everyone in between, Nathan Phillips decided to walk from the speakers podium, PAST the people that spent an hour attacking his group (because he is a ****ing coward) and walked into the crowd of teen boys that were responding NOT to the Indian celebration but to the blck Israleitwes that had spent a full 30 minutes attacking them (both the white AND black teen members of the group). Nathan Phillips walked directly up to the kid, who's only 'crime' in the eyes of the idiot leftists is that he didnt move...he didnt back away. Did he say ANYTHING to Nathan Phillips? Did he insult hum? Did he mock him/ No. He stood his ground and smiled while a 70+ year old grown ass man, known political agitator and professional ****ing coward got up in his face and banged his little drum.

And YOU **** yourself over the actions of the teen boys.

So let’s dox them, harass them, threaten their school, call for acts of violence. Man the left is so tolerant aren’t they?
The same idiot leftists that defend people attacking public figures **** themselves over a kid standing still.

Let’s see it. Link the video and post the time.

Why? Do you want to pretend you actually have the integrity to admit you are wrong?

After repeated attacks by the black Israelites against the Indians (for an hour), blacks, women and homosexuals in the crowd, and against the kids from the school (black kids, white kids), the kids responded to the black Israelites by chanting a bunch of school cheers. And Nathan Phillips walked right by the Black Israelites that had been attacking the Indians for an hour and walked into the crowd of teen boys to the point of walking up to and confronting the one kid who simply didnt move.

Phillips is a ****ing coward. He ignored the people that had actually attacked them for an hour. If you dont have the integrity to admit it...

you are worse.

Why? Do you want to pretend you actually have the integrity to admit you are wrong?

After repeated attacks by the black Israelites against the Indians (for an hour), blacks, women and homosexuals in the crowd, and against the kids from the school (black kids, white kids), the kids responded to the black Israelites by chanting a bunch of school cheers. And Nathan Phillips walked right by the Black Israelites that had been attacking the Indians for an hour and walked into the crowd of teen boys to the point of walking up to and confronting the one kid who simply didnt move.

Thanks for actually posting a video relevant to my question, though you only needed the second video. I do see now Phillips did walk up to the student. However, I do not see anything wrong with what he did. He protested peacefully to create a distraction from what was going on between the two groups. Was the student mocking the man with his smirking stare down? Yes. Were his buddies mocking the man with their laughter and gestures? Yes. There is really no denying it unless you want to be willfully ignorant.

Phillips is a ****ing coward. He ignored the people that had actually attacked them for an hour. If you dont have the integrity to admit it....

He already said the other group was saying ‘harsh things.’ The students far outnumbered the other group, so it makes far more sense to go to them.

Thanks for actually posting a video relevant to my question, though you only needed the second video. I do see now Phillips did walk up to the student. However, I do not see anything wrong with what he did. He protested peacefully to create a distraction from what was going on between the two groups. Was the student mocking the man with his smirking stare down? Yes. Were his buddies mocking the man with their laughter and gestures? Yes. There is really no denying it unless you want to be willfully ignorant.

He already said the other group was saying ‘harsh things.’ The students far outnumbered the other group, so it makes far more sense to go to them.
Well...this is quite serious...congrats on doing something that not very many others have managed to do on this site...let the facts alter your opinion.

Look. Phillips is a known commodity. He is a professional race-baiter and agitator. This isnt his first rodeo. He has pulled this kind of stunt before. And come on...lets be serious. You arent suggesting the kids were about to attack the Black Israelites, are you? The fact remains...the Black Isrealites were the aggressors and they attacked EVERYONE present. They spent an hour attacking the Indians during their gathering. So why didnt he walk up to THEM with his little drum? And you REALLY want to claim Phillips was being 'peaceful'? Come on man...be better than that. Be honest.

You KNOW the answer to that question.

Liberal Narrative on Covington Kids a Grotesque Lie
Andrew Sullivan, NY Magazine

One of the advantages of taking Saturdays off the web entirely is that I wasn’t aware of L’Affaire Covington until it was almost over. It’s one of those occasions I’m deeply glad I quit blogging 24/7 four years ago and disengaged from Twitter last month. I’m not going to dunk on the multitudes who badly misjudged a moment in time. We’re all fallible. But I did make time to watch the full 100 minutes of YouTube footage that covered the scene in front of the Lincoln Memorial long before, during, and after the smirk that was seen across the world.What I saw was extraordinary bigotry, threats of violence, hideous misogyny, disgusting racism, foul homophobia, and anti-Catholicism — not by the demonized schoolboys, but by grown men with a bullhorn, a small group of self-styled Black Hebrew Israelites. They’re a fringe sect — but an extremely aggressive one — known for inflammatory bigotry in public. The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated them a hate group: “strongly anti-white and anti-Semitic.” They scream abuse at gays, women, white people, Jews, interracial couples, in the crudest of language. In their public display of bigotry, they’re at the same level as the Westboro Baptist sect: shockingly obscene. They were the instigators of the entire affair. . . .

Well...this is quite serious...congrats on doing something that not very many others have managed to do on this site...let the facts alter your opinion.

Look. Phillips is a known commodity. He is a professional race-baiter and agitator. This isnt his first rodeo. He has pulled this kind of stunt before. And come on...lets be serious. You arent suggesting the kids were about to attack the Black Israelites, are you? The fact remains...the Black Isrealites were the aggressors and they attacked EVERYONE present. They spent an hour attacking the Indians during their gathering. So why didnt he walk up to THEM with his little drum? And you REALLY want to claim Phillips was being 'peaceful'? Come on man...be better than that. Be honest.

You KNOW the answer to that question.

I really don't see the BHI as being aggressors. Everything I've seen leads me to believe they were keeping their distance. In a place it seems is known as historically set aside for exercising free speech, I think that is what they were doing. Even though I will admit their speech was generally vile, I believe it is protected.

Since that is the case as I see it, I must also see the students as exercising their free speech. No matter they may have been boisterous at times in their speech. They were in DC for the express purpose of exercising their rights under the 1st Amendment. They- like the BHI- were keeping their distance and I believe their speech was protected.

Now comes Nathan Phillips. Did he maintain a distance while chanting and beating his half-a-drum? If he would have-even given everything that had gone before- I believe the whole thing would have ended up as, "Nothing to see here." Instead, he (and his comrades) chose to aggressively advance on one of the parties. They chose to advance to the point that Phillips was beating his drum and loudly chanting right in the face of one of the students. That's what puts him in the wrong.

I would. You think I don't know about obnoxious teenagers being the mother of 3 myself?

I would bet they don't get a big drum and stand in your face pounding on it and hollering at the same time?
Those obnoxious teenagers!! :peace

I would bet they don't get a big drum and stand in your face pounding on it and hollering at the same time?
Those obnoxious teenagers!! :peace

Yes, they are snowflakes who have been chained in their rooms and they have never encountered elderly people.:roll: And never encountered anyone making noise around them. Or looking them in the eyes.

Now they are going to sue CNN!

MAGA hats for everyone!

Now they are going to sue CNN!

MAGA hats for everyone!

I still contend that the Mr. Sandmann will lose his case against WaPo (and likely CNN as well) simply because their initial reporting on the situation wasn't about the confrontation between him, Mr. Phillips, the BHI men nor the CCHS students. It was coverage of Native Americans, their cultural heritage and their mistreatment over the years and highlighted the Indigenous People's March on Washington, DC which happened to take place the day of the incident in question. Now, the video that accompanied the original story may not have provided an accurate portrayal of mistreatment of Native Americans overall, but to suggest that the students weren't mocking Mr. Phillips isn't accurate. They did though briefly.

If you start the video around the 1:12:50 mark you'll see the students first start dancing to Mr. Phillip's drum beat. Innocent enough. But then their celebration morphs into mocking with the Indian war cry and the tomahawk chop. It doesn't last long - probably about a minute or so - but they clearly do it. What was interesting about this sudden shift in herd behavior was at first, the students had directed their attention towards the BHI men. This is evidenced by the one student who takes off his shirt(s) and leads his schoolmates in a "battle cheer" (beginning at the 1:09:54 mark) in an effort to counter (or drown out) the BHI men. Not more than 3 minutes later does Mr. Phillips and his crew enter the picture and the students shift their attention away from the BHI men to Mr. Phillips. That's when the student go into their Indiana war cry w/tomahawk chop routine.

Now, people may think Mr. Phillip wrongfully injected himself into the situation OR did so intentionally because he has a beef with the school but even the BHI men believed he was acting as a peacemaker at that point and time. You can hear them state as much in the video when they say, "Here comes Gad...the peacekeeper". Moreover, the BHI men also believed the CCHS students were mocking Mr. Phillips and Co. But none of that is to suggest that the students were acting out of racism. IMO, they were just kids being kids, following the herd, being culturally insensitive and, thus, disrespectful. But racist...no.

And while I can't speak to how other media outlets covered this story, thereby, allegedly jumping on the "smirking kid wearing a MAGA hat" bandwagon, I can say that WaPo's reporting of this story didn't start out that way. Nonetheless, if this kid (his family and attorney) are going to go after liberal media outlets for their coverage of this incident, they'd better go after every other media outlet out their because many of them covered the story in much the same way. In other words, Mr. Sandman would be wrong to sue only the liberal media. He'd have to go after hundreds of other media sources, as well, but it's clear where the legal focus is directed: liberal media. If Mr. Sandman was merely characterized as being disrespectful with a mere smirk, he'll lose every case since that's pretty much how I've read WaPo, CNN, Reuters and AP's reporting of this story in their characterization of Mr. Sandman. Moreover, in the end we're not talking slander/libel as much as we're talking freedom of the press here. So, unless there's an article out there that makes it absolutely clear that some media outlet flat out called Mr. Sandman a racist, I seriously doubt he'll win any of his cases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom