• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students

I have not stated anywhere that the MAGA kids approached Phillips. Yes, a lot of the media made knee-jerk reactions to the incident. But they were right in assuming the kids were trying to bully Phillips who was trying to diffuse a situation between the two groups (and apparently it worked because he was able to redirect the focus on him and his drumming).

You can have more than one provoker.

If he was trying to diffuse the situation, then he probably should've been a lot more clear in what he was trying to do, or at the very least handled that in a different way. Because the way he approached him made it seem like he was trying to get in his face.

Yes...however, I've never blamed another person for only staring at someone, especially a minor,

Wait, you have seen people stare down other people to intimidate/mock/bully them, but you don't blame them for it?

when an adult is the one who walked up to him and banged a drum directly in his face. Try again or continue with your utter and inexcusable dishonesty.

Do you have video proof Phillips got right up in the kid's face? Haven't seen it yet despite looking at these videos. How do I know the kid didn't get in his face once Phillips got between the groups?

If he was trying to diffuse the situation, then he probably should've been a lot more clear in what he was trying to do, or at the very least handled that in a different way. Because the way he approached him made it seem like he was trying to get in his face.

Video proof of him getting in the kid's face?

Where did he lie?

In everything that he said, because he wasn't diffusing anything, he was fueling it.

This tweet contains a short video clip, but I don't know how to insert it here and would have to ask you to go to the original tweet:

Rosie memos
‏@almostjingo
Follow Follow @almostjingo
More
Exactly as described by #CovingtonCatholic they were doing a cheer Nathan Phillips enters while most of their backs are turned, they're in the middle of a cheer so they think he's part of it, they even clap! They're excited he's there. #StandWithCovington
1:23
1:40 AM - 21 Jan 2019

In everything that he said.

Specific quote, please.

This tweet contains a short video clip, but I don't know how to insert it here and would have to ask you to go to the original tweet:

Rosie memos
‏@almostjingo
Follow Follow @almostjingo
More
Exactly as described by #CovingtonCatholic they were doing a cheer Nathan Phillips enters while most of their backs are turned, they're in the middle of a cheer so they think he's part of it, they even clap! They're excited he's there. #StandWithCovington
1:23
1:40 AM - 21 Jan 2019

You're giving me tweets without links? Seriously?

Where is the direct quote?

You didn't even bother to read the story at the link, did you?

“It was getting ugly, and I was thinking: ‘I’ve got to find myself an exit out of this situation and finish my song at the Lincoln Memorial,’ ” Phillips recalled. “I started going that way, and that guy in the hat stood in my way, and we were at an impasse. He just blocked my way and wouldn’t allow me to retreat.”

I am not doubting the Black Israelites were in the wrong. However, maybe you should specify what video and what time on the video you speak of.

The easiest is the one already in this thread. There are at least a dozen examples of "these crackers in red hats are what's wrong with our country." The person recording also suggests that instead of getting mad at him, they should get violent with the red hat kids. The same guy mixes in slurs when he tells Philip's group they last this land for bekeiving in the wrong god.

Philips was not racist that I saw. He was just a jerk for trying to intimidate teens physically.

He walked up to him. If he didn't want to get into a staredown, he didn't have to walk up to the kid, right?

How do you know he specifically walked up to that kid?

You didn't even bother to read the story at the link, did you?

Philips should watch the video. Kid never moved into or out of his way. He could have taken a step to the side and run for his safety instead of leaning in on the kid and drumming in his face while smiling. He must have been near tears at having to take an extra step or not approach the kid in the first place.

Philips was not racist that I saw. He was just a jerk for trying to intimidate teens physically.

I didn't know getting between two hostile groups to diffuse that situation (which it did) is 'being a jerk.'

Video proof of him getting in the kid's face?

Obviously you missed the weekend debates on this board and all the videos that have come out since the media spun one of their usual lies.

It's tiresome to repeatedly post videos to people like you who missed 1 1/2 days of debate and changing facts.
If you're totally oblivious to what has emerged in the last 36 hours since that lying drum-beater of an activist re-emerged, I suggest you read some of the related articles on this board ...

I didn't know getting between two hostile groups to diffuse that situation (which it did) is 'being a jerk.'

Philips has been one of the worst for making this whole thing more ridiculous. He is the only one claiming he was trying to diffuse the situation. All I see him doing in clips is staring down the young man who can't figure out why an old dude is drumming in his face.

Philips also says he was worried and trying to get away, but the kids were blocking him. He has some very confusing ways of 'diffusing a situation'

Obviously you missed the weekend debates on this board and all the videos that have come out since the media spun one of their usual lies.

It's tiresome to repeatedly post videos to people like you who missed 1 1/2 days of debate and changing facts.

I am sorry I have a life outside of political debating. If you are tired you should take a break.

This is ridiculous. You have never seen someone stare someone down before? :lamo

Proof is in the video.

Which is what Phillips was doing to that kid (if you bothered to look at any of the other videos, and not just the one directly behind Phillips' head). Knowing kids as well as you've claimed, you undoubtedly saw the initial look of enthusiasm in his face (when Phillips approached) turn slowly to uncertainty; all while trying to rein in his composure. Certainly you recognized that, right? I mean, you know kids better than the rest of us.

OM

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students Confronting a Native American Veteran - Hit & Run : Reason.com

This is an excellent article over what really happened:

While it seems that Phillips was trying to diffuse the situation, things got confused, including him. The true bad guys in this whole thing seems to be the Black Hebrews.

But then again, why would high school students be at a political rally of any kind? Groups shouldnt be using children for political purposes.

CNN is also doing something of a retraction:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

It's no surprise that CNN and the MSM jumped on the original doctored video to promote anti-Trump sentiment. However, in order to pull back from the anti-Trump meme, they are condemning a group of black men for saying standard anti-white things. Aren't blacks allowed to say stuff like cracker and future school shooter?

It could be that the "Hebrew" whatever that these blacks think they are effects how the MSM perceives them - do they qualify as "full black" as far as victimhood? The black/Jewish thing might be throwing people off a far as interpreting what blacks are allowed to say to privileged white teens. Truly an interesting media interaction here.

Which is it, Geoist? Did he "get in there" to "diffuse the situation," or did was he just trying to "retreat," as the Washington Post directly quotes him as saying he was?

Philips has been one of the worst for making this whole thing more ridiculous. He is the only one claiming he was trying to diffuse the situation. All I see him doing in clips is staring down the young man who can't figure out why an old dude is drumming in his face.

I only see one person staring down the other. Phillips isn't even looking at the kid. He is merely drumming and for all I know the kid thought it would be hilarious in front of his friends to just stare down this 'weirdo drum-banging indian.'

Philips also says he was worried and trying to get away, but the kids were blocking him. He has some very confusing ways of 'diffusing a situation'

More claims without direct quotes or links. But still, you can try to diffuse a situation and be scared for your own welfare. I do not see the contradiction. :shrug:

How do you know he specifically walked up to that kid?

Because there are literally dozens of video clips showing it ...

Are you intentionally claiming ignorance of what has transpired and come to light in the last 36 hours?!?

Which is it, Geoist? Did he "get in there" to "diffuse the situation," or did was he just trying to "retreat," as the Washington Post directly quotes him as saying he was?

Why can't it be both, Harshaw?

Because there are literally dozens of video clips showing it ...

Are you intentionally claiming ignorance of what has transpired and come to light in the last 36 hours?!?

And yet none of you have provided that clip/time on video.

I am speaking to the specific scene of a MAGA kid staring down Phillips.

Yes, the edited video shot behind Phillips so that you cannot see his face or eyes. The edited video which clearly shows a nervous youth attempting to keep his composure in the face of a grown man going nose to nose with him while beating a drum in his face. Yeah, I can see why you only want to refer to that video.

OM

Back
Top Bottom