• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students

The media most certainly mischaracterized this situation. They took an out of context clip and used it to attack Donald Trump, because anything with MAGA hats involved gets clicks. **** those black israelites. They are all scumbags.

This is why you're one of my favorite liberals. You're so much more honest, probably better than me, tbh. I posted on Facebook an article from the NYT (because to have a chance I have to use a left-leaning source), and asked for everyone who initially jumped on them to post retractions and not a single one did. You know what they did do?...still tried to nitpick how the kids behaved. It ran the gamut of they were "being cocky for standing there" to "MAGA hats are like Nazi arm bands".

Kudos to you for being you.

You realise that there is a two-hour long video of the incident in question, that demonstrates that the narrative buzz around this video is false, right? That clip is an out of context snippet of a much larger incident.

I know how long the video is, and no I am not wasting two hours to watch it (I am sure no one in this thread did, either). I do know the summary of what happened. Do tell me what specifically I said is contradicted by the video because none of you guys have explained that, yet.

It is out of context. It was claimed that the MAGA kids were the main agressors in that situation. That is blatantly false, as per the full video shows. That was the black Israelites, without a shadow of a doubt. It was also claimed that the MAGA kids confronted the native american protester. Which is not true, as he walked up to them.

The Native American was a peacemaker intervening between the squabbling racist groups with a song of unity. He was badly treated by the MAGAscum.

It is not out of context. It was clearly an attempt to mock the native american. I work with kids like this. I know how they think.

1. What was clearly an attempt to mock the Native American? Be specific in your example.

2. Provide proof.

How can a kid, who is like 5 foot 2, 120 pounds intimidate a man twice his size?

Do you have evidence for these specifics?

Not that it would matter. That '5'2' kid is being backed up by dozens of other kids.

Yeah, after reading more on the incident, I came to the same conclusion...blown waaay outta proportion by the media, as usual...the Native American did say his first interaction with the students came when they entered an area permitted for the Indigenous Peoples March so both teenage groups were in the wrong in that sense, imo but all 3 groups added to escalating the problem...the students should not have been in that area in the first place...

Native American Man Nathan Phillips Explains Why He Got Between Catholic Students and a Black Religious Group Shouting Insults Outside the Lincoln Memorial

Its a pretty minor point, but did the group have a permit to protest there or a rental of the space with exclusive rights and perimeter markings showing where no one else could enter?

Philips has demonstrated that he is all for this media attention and I am having trouble taking him seriously.

Just because they have a permit to be there in a group does not mean they control that space.

1. What was clearly an attempt to mock the Native American? Be specific in your example.

2. Provide proof.

This is ridiculous. You have never seen someone stare someone down before? :lamo

Proof is in the video.

Actually, what happened according to the native american (Phillips) is the MAGA kids and the Black Israelites/Hebrews were exchanging insults, the kids went away then came back with more kids, went away and came back with even more kids. They exchanged racial taunts and that is when Phillips stepped in between the groups. The kid is staring the man down trying to intimidate/bully him while other kids laugh and mock him. Nothing out of context about that.

I'm sure they were laughing at him. But it doesnt change the fact that he was the one that got into into the kid's face in the first place, regardless if he thought it was amusing or not. This incident was framed by a lot of people as if the native american protester was just approached and surrounded by the MAGA kids. If that was true, then I'd be singing a much more different tune. But he stepped up to them.

So It's not like one party was in the complete right here. It was a ****show all around. But obviously the provokers were the hebrew idiots, so if anything people's anger should be mostly directed at them and the vile and disgusting insults they were spewing, to pretty much everyone that was in earshot.

I'm certain Phillips did not aim to diffuse the situation. His confrontational posturing and banging a drum inches away from the teen student was aggressive behavior. Further, despite the fact that the teen didn't say a word, raise a hand toward or even lean into Phillips, Phillips broadcast to anyone who'd listen that he was the victim of hatred and racism. Further, outright lies were told about what the Catholic students were chanting and thus far, I have watched many long videos of the even and not once did I hear ANY student tell the NAs to "go home" or "leave" or "build the wall".

I think we have a seasoned, radical Left-wing protester vs. a naive kid who had no clue what he was in the middle of.

The young teen, his mates and even boys not even in at the event have been doxxed, maligned and threatened. Meanwhile, Mr. Phillips is left unaccountable for the ****storm he produced.

The purpose of protest is to create a narrative. Whether that narrative is based in fact or not is immaterial as long as the narrative is accepted by the protester's target audience.

We have a situation these days where cable media, fed by social media, has generally taken a position that the president and his supporters are vile, racist, xenophobic, and violent. The snippet of video that went viral hit all those points and so was happily promoted. It had white kids in MAGA hats surrounding an elderly native American and mocking him with racial gestures. There was a narrative accompanying the snippet that spoke of a "black religious group" that was also caught up in the zealous hatred engaged in by these white, Trump loving kids. It, like the BuzzFeed story a couple of days before, was a PERFECT opportunity for the "resistance" to promote their narrative.

Keep this in mind too, there will be no consequences for the media in their assault on these kids. Sure, some people will shake their heads and say "we really jumped the gun" but the next time an opportunity such as what we saw comes up they'll jump right back in with both feet and with renewed vigor and with renewed confidence that "this time will be the one!". It's how they see the world. They envision an outcome they desperately want and then create a path to get there. They don't care if that path is built through a swamp, across a canyon, or paved with the blood and bones of their "enemies". They don't care if the path will survive after they reach their goal. They don't care if the path, and thus the support to maintain their goal, is destroyed. None of that matters because their focus is entirely on being "the one" to achieve the goal.

It's a wholly selfish act and a wholly selfish world view but, in a world where we value individual liberty, we really shouldn't try to stop it. We should simply try to learn from it and pray that a few of them learn from it as well.

Here is the full video posted by the Black Hebrews themselves:

That "story" is not supported by any of the video evidence. Repeating it does not change the facts one bit. :coffeepap:

You are trying to waste my time by getting me to watch a nearly 2 hour video. I know the other group was not in the right. I am speaking to the specific scene of a MAGA kid staring down Phillips.

The media most certainly mischaracterized this situation. They took an out of context clip and used it to attack Donald Trump, because anything with MAGA hats involved gets clicks. **** those black israelites. They are all scumbags.

I wonder what happens when Black Muslims and Black Hebrew Israelites get together? That's gotta be a hoot.

Funny, most of us with kids punished or made a serious deal about them lying, yet the press does it with impunity to make money.

Actually, what happened according to the native american (Phillips) is the MAGA kids and the Black Israelites/Hebrews were exchanging insults, the kids went away then came back with more kids, went away and came back with even more kids. They exchanged racial taunts and that is when Phillips stepped in between the groups. The kid is staring the man down trying to intimidate/bully him while other kids laugh and mock him. Nothing out of context about that.

Yeah ... you shouldn't be listening to a lying drum-beater activist ... :lamo

The kids were meeting up at the steps to await their school buses. Stands to reason that small groups are moving back and forth at the "plaza", forming larger groups and all ending up on the steps ... like they were told to do.

On a side note: you got some examples of the insults the kids were "throwing" at the black 4-man congregation?
Because I have a boat-load of the insults which that preacher group was throwing at native Americans and white people.

This is ridiculous. You have never seen someone stare someone down before? :lamo

Proof is in the video.

Yes...however, I've never blamed another person for only staring at someone, especially a minor, when an adult is the one who walked up to him and banged a drum directly in his face. Try again or continue with your utter and inexcusable dishonesty.

Proof is in the video.

He walked up to him. If he didn't want to get into a staredown, he didn't have to walk up to the kid, right?

I'm sure they were laughing at him. But it doesnt change the fact that he was the one that got into into the kid's face in the first place, regardless if he thought it was amusing or not. This incident was framed by a lot of people as if the native american protester was just approached and surrounded by the MAGA kids. If that was true, then I'd be singing a much more different tune. But he stepped up to them.

I have not stated anywhere that the MAGA kids approached Phillips. Yes, a lot of the media made knee-jerk reactions to the incident. But they were right in assuming the kids were trying to bully Phillips who was trying to diffuse a situation between the two groups (and apparently it worked because he was able to redirect the focus on him and his drumming).

So It's not like one party was in the complete right here. It was a ****show all around. But obviously the provokers were the hebrew idiots, so if anything people's anger should be mostly directed at them and the vile and disgusting insults they were spewing, to pretty much everyone that was in earshot.

You can have more than one provoker.

Well, then that would be assault, so no.

Hmm...so perhaps Bucky's statement about physical size being a factor in whether or not a situation was intimidating was a little on the useless side? ;)

Tons of videos out there showing these young adults being taunted and people acting aggressively towards them. Just hours of it

I am not doubting the Black Israelites were in the wrong. However, maybe you should specify what video and what time on the video you speak of.

Hmm...so perhaps Bucky's statement about physical size being a factor in whether or not a situation was intimidating was a little on the useless side? ;)

Everything he says is useless. :)

Back
Top Bottom