• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media Have ‘Dropped Any Pretense of Objectivity’ in Covering Donald Trump

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Robert Scheer: The Media Have ?Dropped Any Pretense of Objectivity? in Covering Donald Trump - Truthdig

“The mainstream media, led by The New York Times, have dropped any pretense of objectivity in covering the Donald Trump phenomena. The man is constantly depicted as nothing but pure evil in thought and deed, while the considerable ethical complications of his leading Democratic opponent are rationalized—when they are not simply ignored.

But demonization is a poor substitute for reporting, and what is lost is that Trump’s extraordinary success in sweeping aside the entire Republican establishment is a consequence, rather than the root cause, of what ails us ………..

One may make the argument that Trump has brought this all upon himself……
But I agree with the lack of objectivity of the MSM and cable channel coverage of Trump……. I understand the MSM looks for or makes up controversy just to sell newspapers or increase their ratings…..
We seem to have lost what I remember as real journalism of the past………
And suggest the loss of real journalism is our fault………For not demanding more rather than accept news reports of Paris Hilton’ latest fling as news making many MSM outlets into imitations of Supermarket tabloids…….

Trump has good/bad qualities and they should be reported impassionedly, accurate and in-depth

Fair is fair and nothing other is acceptable IMHO

it would then seem this is a frankenstein of the media's own creation, recognizing the free coverage he received when compared to all other candidates

Robert Scheer: The Media Have ?Dropped Any Pretense of Objectivity? in Covering Donald Trump - Truthdig

“The mainstream media, led by The New York Times, have dropped any pretense of objectivity in covering the Donald Trump phenomena. The man is constantly depicted as nothing but pure evil in thought and deed, while the considerable ethical complications of his leading Democratic opponent are rationalized—when they are not simply ignored.

But demonization is a poor substitute for reporting, and what is lost is that Trump’s extraordinary success in sweeping aside the entire Republican establishment is a consequence, rather than the root cause, of what ails us ………..

But I agree with the lack of objectivity of the MSM and cable channel coverage of Trump……. I understand the MSM looks for or makes up controversy just to sell newspapers or increase their ratings…..
And suggest the loss of real journalism is our fault………For not demanding more rather than accept news reports of Paris Hilton’ latest fling as news making many MSM outlets into imitations of Supermarket tabloids…….

Trump has good/bad qualities and they should be reported impassionedly, accurate and in-depth

You would be making the mistaken assumption that the Mass Media owned and operated by a select few of the Big Money players and with considerable input from the CIA to present the Pentagon narrative is an objective source. Now you have a clear view that the opposite is true. The USA Mass Media is the leader of the NEOCON NWO agenda and support of USA imperialistic ambitions disguised as the World's Policeman. We are Big Money capturing resources. As Big Money in the USA has asserted control, we view the results and the old axiom that "money is the root of all evil" is revealed as an obvious truism.

You would be making the mistaken assumption that the Mass Media owned and operated by a select few of the Big Money players and with considerable input from the CIA to present the Pentagon narrative is an objective source. Now you have a clear view that the opposite is true. The USA Mass Media is the leader of the NEOCON NWO agenda and support of USA imperialistic ambitions disguised as the World's Policeman. We are Big Money capturing resources. As Big Money in the USA has asserted control, we view the results and the old axiom that "money is the root of all evil" is revealed as an obvious truism.

Never said or suggested anything of the sort........ But I am aware/herd this belief expressed before........

However, the media has had a field day making Trump seem like the devil.....

I for one have no use for either of the two running.......

But do not hold with anything untruthful and/or distorted being reported in MSM

It is not IMHO honest or truthful........and to be equally applied to all .....these are values which I hold dear

Never said or suggested anything of the sort........ But I am aware/herd this belief expressed before........

It is not IMHO honest or truthful........and to be equally applied to all .....these are values which I hold dear

And yet...

You make good use of this very nonobjective media when creating your anti-Trump hit-threads.

Could it be you are being a wee bit hypocritical?

Maybe Trump makes himself out to be a devil.

Agreed, that the media coverage of Trump is anything but fair, and that it is very much in line with the media pushing their leftist agenda.

I think that we can continue and say with the same level of certainty that the media is very much in bag for Hillary, pretty much refusing to honestly cover her very many instances of corruption, poor judgement, conflicts of interest, and pay to play political favors.

And yet...

You make good use of this very nonobjective media when creating your anti-Trump hit-threads.

Probably is, but several times on these threads I've mentioned something similar to "Trump has good/bad qualities and they should be reported impassionedly [sic], accurate and in-depth " ... although I wouldn't have chosen the word "impassionedly" for 2 reasons -
1) it's not a word and
2) the closest words to it mean "with passion" and journalists aren't supposed to be doing that as journalists. Columnists, fine. But journalists ... just the facts ma'am.

But most of all, that should be the practice with coverage of all candidates and that's where the problem lies. It isn't the practice.

Really? What hasn't been 'fair'. Please list several exampes.

Perhaps you missed the OP.

I'd happen to be agreement.

It seems to me, many have already responded to the collapse of the 4th estate. Newspapers and news magazines are folding, and for but a few, cable news outlets continue to struggle for viewership.

Worse still is the obvious bias found among the "journalists" who now provide click bait, er, content on home pages like Yahoo, and others.

Add in the massive support of the Progressive Machine in terms of websites (Salon, DailyKos, AlterNet, Politifact, and others) as well as think tanks and Charitable Foundations (Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, Ford Foundation, Annenberg Foundation, Brennan Center and others), and it's clear the path to the truth and objective reporting is not a priority.

And yet...

I post only what is accurate and has supporting documentation in the news article..........

That is not being hypocritical.........It is called being fair and honest....

May I suggest your problem is not with me........but with the news reports you do not like or care to be known

Really? What hasn't been 'fair'. Please list several exampes.

His statement on Brexit.
His statement on abortion.
His statement on Obama's approach to ISIS.
His comments about NATO.

If you produce his complete comments about them I can show you why coverage hasn't been fair.

It seems to me, many have already responded to the collapse of the 4th estate. Newspapers and news magazines are folding, and for but a few, cable news outlets continue to struggle for viewership.

Worse still is the obvious bias found among the "journalists" who now provide click bait, er, content on home pages like Yahoo, and others.

Add in the massive support of the Progressive Machine in terms of websites (Salon, DailyKos, AlterNet, Politifact, and others) as well as think tanks and Charitable Foundations (Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, Ford Foundation, Annenberg Foundation, Brennan Center and others), and it's clear the path to the truth and objective reporting is not a priority.

I must disagree with your 3rd paragraph........

To blame those as you list for the decline in what real journalism is and why it is in the state it is today.........

IMHO........It lay with the reporters who write the copy......and have not been true/discarded the values of honesty and truthfulness

I must disagree with your 3rd paragraph........

To blame those as you list for the decline in what real journalism is and why it is in the state it is today.........

IMHO........It lay with the reporters who write the copy......and have not been true/discarded the values of honesty and truthfulness

Don't overlook the impact the collapse of the 4th estate has had on journalistic ethics. Suddenly out of a job, they have been hired by these ideologically driven enterprises to provide content.

What would you do if your gig at the LA Times suddenly ended, and you had a chance to write for Salon? Pass, because you have standards, or toe the line and provide the content and bias they are paying for?

Also, Google the authors of the content that is being presented on the internet. Many are only in the early 20's, with little life experience, and certainly willing to allow the strings that came with the job to be pulled.

Most sane people knew the media coverage of Donald Trump wasn't objective from the start, way back in June 2015. It was clear what was going on. The media, about 80-90% liberal owned and operated, loved the distraction that buried Hillary Clinton's troubles. They pumped Trump up endlessly with free, puff piece interviews and appearances and marveled in the Trump "phenomenon", even though they created it. It was masterful. I saw the reverse here in Canada where the media created the phenomenon of Justin Trudeau, an empty bag of hair and selfies, and turned him into the winning candidate.

The modern media is incredibly corrupt and manipulative and the average viewer should always be aware of their underlying goals. Trump was the media's only hope of getting Hillary Clinton elected in November. Only a fool doesn't know that and only a media pimp would write an article feigning amazement that the media has now changed their focus leading into the election.

THE CURRENT RICH does not want TRUMP in the same way they did teddy roosevelt and his strong anti monopoly and competiveness rules.. all the democrats leaders are this and half the republicans like big oil candidates cruz and bush who works with this situation.. Trump will bring inventions and compeitiveness and that can harm the CURRENT rich but that is what makes real progress for a nation

I post only what is accurate and has supporting documentation in the news article..........

LOL!!

Okay...yeah, right...whatever you say.

That is not being hypocritical.........It is called being fair and honest....

May I suggest your problem is not with me........but with the news reports you do not like or care to be known

Oh...I have the same problem with nonobjective news coverage that you hypocritically claim to dislike.

Don't overlook the impact the collapse of the 4th estate has had on journalistic ethics. Suddenly out of a job, they have been hired by these ideologically driven enterprises to provide content.

What would you do if your gig at the LA Times suddenly ended, and you had a chance to write for Salon? Pass, because you have standards, or toe the line and provide the content and bias they are paying for?

Also, Google the authors of the content that is being presented on the internet. Many are only in the early 20's, with little life experience, and certainly willing to allow the strings that came with the job to be pulled.

I have little interest I what is as you describe..........My only issue/point is violation of values of honesty and fairness......

No offense intended

Most sane people knew the media coverage of Donald Trump wasn't objective from the start, way back in June 2015. It was clear what was going on. The media, about 80-90% liberal owned and operated, loved the distraction that buried Hillary Clinton's troubles. They pumped Trump up endlessly with free, puff piece interviews and appearances and marveled in the Trump "phenomenon", even though they created it. It was masterful. I saw the reverse here in Canada where the media created the phenomenon of Justin Trudeau, an empty bag of hair and selfies, and turned him into the winning candidate.

The modern media is incredibly corrupt and manipulative and the average viewer should always be aware of their underlying goals. Trump was the media's only hope of getting Hillary Clinton elected in November. Only a fool doesn't know that and only a media pimp would write an article feigning amazement that the media has now changed their focus leading into the election.

What I speak of has nothing to do with political leanings........or accept unproven statements as fact...... or feelings masquerading as fact

What I speak of has nothing to do with political leanings........or accept unproven statements as fact...... or feelings masquerading as fact

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My comments were mainly addressed to the author of the article and anyone in the public who didn't see this coming.

Back
Top Bottom