• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Media’s Shameful Hunter Biden Abdication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I think I understand. You should presume less.

I am sorry you don't understand, even though you think you do. I will note that.

It never was a story, just an attempted smear.

It is a story of relative interest. If Joe Biden were the incumbent and it was Donald Trump who was the challenger but one of his sons was an embarrassing drug-addict washout who was jet-setting around the world trying to start phony investment firms and capitalizing off his father's name, I highly doubt most media outlets would hold their fire in the same manner that they have with Hunter Biden.

It is a story of relative interest. If Joe Biden were the incumbent and it was Donald Trump who was the challenger but one of his sons was an embarrassing drug-addict washout who was jet-setting around the world trying to start phony investment firms and capitalizing off his father's name, I highly doubt most media outlets would hold their fire in the same manner that they have with Hunter Biden.
It's fake news

Even if Hunter Biden's emails ultimately turn out to be a non-issue, what is unquestionably an issue and worthy of discussion is much of the media's abject bias in its attempts to make it a non-story from the very beginning. This, quite simply, is not what a free press is meant to do, and the National Review is spot on with this editorial.

Interesting. What about this story is "newsworthy?" I've yet to see any specific allegation of wrongdoing by Hunter or Joe. So far we have EMAILS!!!!! That's it. What should the media be talking about with regard to these emails? That they have an entire hard drive and came up with nothing but some embarrassing photos and Joe Biden doing what any dad would do, but that show Joe doing nothing in his capacity as VP to help his son or Burisma? I guess that's a story, but it's not a scandal. What am I missing?

What part of the story is "fake news," vegas giants?
None of this has been confirmed by any law enforcement agency.

Most outlets wont cover fake news.

It's fake news

Wrong question. Why would the mainstream media presume it's Russian disinformation absent any factual evidence that it is?
Because the MSM has reported that trump was warned by US intelligence agencies that Rudy is a Russian asset, pushing Russian disinformation.

Interesting. What about this story is "newsworthy?" I've yet to see any specific allegation of wrongdoing by Hunter or Joe. So far we have EMAILS!!!!! That's it. What should the media be talking about with regard to these emails? That they have an entire hard drive and came up with nothing but some embarrassing photos and Joe Biden doing what any dad would do, but that show Joe doing nothing in his capacity as VP to help his son or Burisma? I guess that's a story, but it's not a scandal. What am I missing?

That's pretty much it.. Without further evidence, the story is just that Joe Biden's surviving son is an embarrassing loser.

I wish you were right, but I don't think you are. I find it hard to believe that if a similar cache of emails were in the hands of the NY Post only from the laptop of Eric Trump and concerning political access to his father that NPR, CNN, and the NY Times would be declaring it a "non story." They'd be giving us breathless, above-the-fold, non-stop coverage.
Right, so far the scandal is some board member of Burisma, who held about a half dozen other positions with the UN and other related orgs, might have met briefly with Joe Biden. The end.

That's not much of a story.

It's kind of shocking when you think about it - they have Hunter's entire hard drive, and that's all they can find. Amazing, actually. If anything it's powerful evidence that there's nothing to this fake 'scandal.'

Why should main stream media spread Russian disinformation?
The better question is why are so many in the media presuming that it is Russian disinformation where there is at least some evidence suggesting that it is not.

If, repeat, if those emails are real, then we have the following issues before us:
  1. Joe Biden outright lied on stage last week speaking to millions of us when he said "I have not taken a penny from any foreign source ever in my life." as there's a big difference between that statement and saying "I have not taken a penny from any foreign source ever in my life ... even though my son and I tried but the deal fell through."

2. Joe Biden, after inserting himself into the decision on who should lead a legal corruption case in a foreign country where the target of that investigation was paying his son $50k/month, then met, at his son's request, with a senior executive working at a company owned by that same target.

I think both of those issues qualify as "newsworthy."

Right, so far the scandal is some board member of Burisma, who held about a half dozen other positions with the UN and other related orgs, might have met briefly with Joe Biden. The end.

That's not much of a story.

It's kind of shocking when you think about it - they have Hunter's entire hard drive, and that's all they can find. Amazing, actually. If anything it's powerful evidence that there's nothing to this fake 'scandal.'
You've haven't really described the full picture there. See post #40.

Even if Hunter Biden's emails ultimately turn out to be a non-issue, what is unquestionably an issue and worthy of discussion is much of the media's abject bias in its attempts to make it a non-story from the very beginning. This, quite simply, is not what a free press is meant to do, and the National Review is spot on with this editorial.

First of all, it has been reported by all major news organizations more than once solely because conservative rags are pimping it so much. Second, it is a non-story hardly worthy of discussion. There isn't even any evidence of serious wrong-doing. It's just some dude who claims to have Hunter Biden's laptop with embarrassing pictures and a few suggestive emails. Even if it were true, the only media I would expect to run with this to any extent would be tabloids.

Just because conservatives want it to be a story worthy of discussion doesn't mean it is.

If, repeat, if those emails are real, then we have the following issues before us:
  1. Joe Biden outright lied on stage last week speaking to millions of us when he said "I have not taken a penny from any foreign source ever in my life." as there's a big difference between that statement and saying "I have not taken a penny from any foreign source ever in my life ... even though my son and I tried but the deal fell through."

2. Joe Biden, after inserting himself into the decision on who should lead a legal corruption case in a foreign country where the target of that investigation was paying his son $50k/month, then met, at his son's request, with a senior executive working at a company owned by that same target.

I think both of those issues qualify as "newsworthy."

Trump lies when his mouth is moving. Trump's kids are profiting off their father hand over fist.

No one cares.

The media is not obligated to report on every crackpot or obviously fraudulent conspiracy theory.

The minute the FULL data is turned over to a legitimate news organization, they will happily cover the story. Right now all that has been turned over is stuff that could be easily faked and no way to verify the authenticity.
The "evidence" was turned over to the Wall Street Journal. Trump expected a big bang story the day of the last debate. The Wall Street Journal, being a newspaper of integrity, tried to vet the story and the evidence before running with it. They could not. Rudy sent it to the Post, and Bannon leaks dribs and drabs trying to breathe life into a sham.

This may or may not have been Trump's last Hail Mary, and he threw it out of bounds.

Wrong question. Why would the mainstream media presume it's Russian disinformation absent any factual evidence that it is?
How EFFIng dare all you right wingers. Dan Rather was smeared, for running a TRUE, corrborated story. And simply not having a second corroborating testimony, DESTROYED his legendary career. HOW DARE YOU.

Apparently, the RW media which constantly refuse to publish mainstream stories that set the record straight whine now about the mainstream media refusing to promote the unnverified stories that the RW media like, lololol.

1. All that's missing is actual evidence Joe Biden tried to get himself cut in on that deal. The WSJ looked at the emails and found NOTHING that showed Joe Biden was ever considered as part of the ownership.
  2. 2. Joe Biden, after inserting himself into the decision on who should lead a legal corruption case in a foreign country where the target of that investigation was paying his son $50k/month, then met, at his son's request, with a senior executive working at a company owned by that same target.
There was no "legal corruption case", the "target" of the case Shokin pointedly was NOT pursuing when fired wasn't Burisma but its owner, and Shokin, the guy fired, was on the chopping block for having a career undermining and not-pursuing similar "legal corruption cases" involving Ukraine oligarchs, and when he was fired Shokin was not-pursuing a case against Burisma and/or its owner. Even the NYP story got that right - it reported Shokin had "plans" to start that investigation any time, just you wait and see, it was about to get going after YEARS and YEARS of inaction by Shokin!! PROMISE!!

The last straw for Shokin was when the special prosecutors office established by Ukraine to take on the cases corrupt prosecutors like Shokin would not pursue, Shokin had the special prosecutors investigated for bogus crimes.

And, yes, Joe might have had a meeting with a member of the Burisma board. OK. What did they discuss at this meeting? What favors did this executive want or ask from Joe or the WH or the U.S. government? What favors were provided as a result of this meeting?

You've haven't really described the full picture there. See post #40.
The picture as you describe it relies on our collective ignorance of the facts surrounding Shokin, Burisma and its owner. It's a rehash of lies debunked a year ago.

There are already lots of facts out (and even more the FBI has and we don't know). This is an old story rehashed with a few new lies. When do the Benghazi hearings reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom