• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Meaning of Life

Exactly---------that is why so many people are so mixed up (they have no clue....)

A life of service is the whole shebang as far as life goes...........................end of story. Next topic??
The "whole shebang as far as life goes"?

What's that mean? Care to add some context here?

Your question was 'what is the meaning of life?,' or possibly from the OP "is there a meaning of/to life?" I believe he answered accurately if not provably.

How did 'is there a meaning to life" translate into "your notion of reality?"

Your reality is your perception, "meaning of or to life" is a philosophical perspective. The first is living your daily life and your perception of that experience...the latter is comparable to interpreting that daily experience, your reality, within the scope of a religion or philosophy.
Ok.

Queen Elizabeth II spent a life in service to her nation. She tirelessly waved her hand at the passing crowds as she traveled around the country opening stuff, and fine dining with visiting dignitaries. All while basking in the luxury of untold wealth only surpassed by the Kardashians. Paid for by the taxes of working people.
Is that the "service" that gives meaning to life?

“I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.
I find it hard to believe you could find that many stupid people in one class room.

As if anyone would think a philosophy 101 class would actually be an answer to such a foolish question.

You started an OP on a discussion forum, refuse to clarify the questions in it, and then refuse to discuss.

Cool beans.
The topic is teaching a philosophy class, which you never commented on.

I find it hard to believe you could find that many stupid people in one class room.

As if anyone would think a philosophy 101 class would actually be an answer to such a foolish question.
It was explicitly the title of the course.

You started an OP on a discussion forum, refuse to clarify the questions in it, and then refuse to discuss.

Cool beans.
“I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

“That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

I felt the glue of 32 eyes on my person.

“But over the past couple of centuries the idea that the universe has an inherent rational purpose has lost ground,” I continued. “So in contemporary philosophy questions about the meaning of life have given way to questions about meaning in life: questions about what makes particular lives meaningful. For instance: What gives a life depth, purpose and enduring value? What makes living worthwhile rather than futile?”

“Why did you call this class The Meaning of Life, then?” someone asked.

read://https_thepointmag.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepointmag.com%2Fexamined-life%2Fthe-meaning-of-life%2F

“That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

I felt the glue of 32 eyes on my person.

“But over the past couple of centuries the idea that the universe has an inherent rational purpose has lost ground,” I continued. “So in contemporary philosophy questions about the meaning of life have given way to questions about meaning in life: questions about what makes particular lives meaningful. For instance: What gives a life depth, purpose and enduring value? What makes living worthwhile rather than futile?”

“Why did you call this class The Meaning of Life, then?” someone asked.

read://https_thepointmag.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepointmag.com%2Fexamined-life%2Fthe-meaning-of-life%2F

TL;dr

I was commenting on Napoleon's response to you, re: that. The clarification was relevant to me. Not so much interested now.

Really!

I think I see the problem. You're not talking about a university run course are you?

Question, did your class ever get an answer?
One. This is a university class.

Two. I stated at the beginning this is NOT ME! I cited the author.

Three. My goodness. This was hard for you?!

One. This is a university class.

Two. I stated at the beginning this is NOT ME! I cited the author.

Three. My goodness. This was hard for you?!
Not hard for me. Just laughable that they name their classes with such ridiculous titles. As laughable as a bunch of very gullible students thinking the meaninmg of life can be found in philosophy 101.

Not hard for me. Just laughable that they name their classes with such ridiculous titles. As laughable as a bunch of very gullible students thinking the meaninmg of life can be found in philosophy 101.
Have you ever taken a philosophy class? What is your expertise?

Back
Top Bottom