• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Mayor Of Seattle asks Bussinesses to go "Gun-Free"

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
For us Gun owners in the Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side. Now we asking businesses to join his movement of being Gun-Free and have a Sign in the front (Signs that have no legal bearing) to adverstise the businesses as a "Gun-Free" zone because we know "Gun-Free zones" like schools have worked so well.

McGinn asking Seattle businesses to go ‘gun-free’ | Local News | The Seattle Times

For us Gun owners in the Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side. Now we asking businesses to join his movement of being Gun-Free and have a Sign in the front (Signs that have no legal bearing) to adverstise the businesses as a "Gun-Free" zone because we know "Gun-Free zones" like schools have worked so well.

McGinn asking Seattle businesses to go ‘gun-free’ | Local News | The Seattle Times
I would tell him to go **** himself. If I did have a gun free establishment I would end that practice immediately just on principle. I'm sick and tired of these politicians on all levels thinking an election gives them any kind of merit to **** on the rights of constituents.

I would tell him to go **** himself. If I did have a gun free establishment I would end that practice immediately just on principle. I'm sick and tired of these politicians on all levels thinking an election gives them any kind of merit to **** on the rights of constituents.

His butt got kicked in the primaries so this is a move to win votes for November as he tries to stay in office.

His butt got kicked in the primaries so this is a move to win votes for November as he tries to stay in office.
That might actually be a smart move in some parts of the west coast, sad to say. The guy sounds like a complete jackass.

That might actually be a smart move in some parts of the west coast, sad to say. The guy sounds like a complete jackass.

He is. Every since he lost his court case of banning guns in parks in Seattle he was been trying to get State Preemption removed so he can make his own gun laws.

He is. Every since he lost his court case of banning guns in parks in Seattle he was been trying to get State Preemption removed so he can make his own gun laws.
Politicians always seem to believe they are more important than rights. Shame really.

I don't see the problem. He's asking them, not telling them to. He can start whatever campaign he wants, it's not going to change the Second Amendment.

I don't see the problem. He's asking them, not telling them to. He can start whatever campaign he wants, it's not going to change the Second Amendment.
It always starts with "asking" when it comes to politicians, then it escalates to "well, they didn't listen so now we'll make them".

If I were a business owner I would instead post a sign WELCOMING legal CCW holders to my store.

If I were a resident, I would take a Saturday afternoon and as politely as possible go around informing the managers of the stores with the sign in the window that they had lost my business because of the sign. Especially if there were places that I was a regular customer of which chose to do this.

100% correct. What it IS likely to do is to reduce the business of some/many of those places which choose to accept his request. Not too many people choose to go into a store or business because it's a "gun free zone". However, many of us WILL avoid going into a business for that same reason.

From a purely pragmatic point of view, regardless of one's position on gun control or concealed carry, I just don't understand the point to posting such signs. It is just advertising to criminals that your establishment is full of unarmed patrons. I don't get it.

I would tell him I will go gun-free when his security,police, city hall and every other government office is gun-free.

From a purely pragmatic point of view, regardless of one's position on gun control or concealed carry, I just don't understand the point to posting such signs. It is just advertising to criminals that your establishment is full of unarmed patrons. I don't get it.

But if criminals see the gun free signs they will magically abide by them just like in this video

I would tell him I will go gun-free when his security,police, city hall and every other government office is gun-free.
To be honest, that would have been me ten years ago. Nowadays I'm so fed up with idiots in both parties thinking that elections give them terms of dictatorship rather than terms of service. They need to start remembering that they are public employees and serve at the discretion of the people they are trying to regulate into servitude.

Meh. My business is on the other side of it. I have a gun friendly business. Right at the moment I have a broken shotgun leaning against this desk (not worth the cost of repair) and the same guy's pistol in my lock box that I have already repaired. I also have two of my pistols and my electronic ear muffs here for when the custom comes to pick up the truck I'm working on. He and his wife have recently attended safety courses and gotten their carry permits, she wants to try a couple of types of pistols to help her decide what to get. I encourage safe use, carry and practice with firearms. Today she will get a chance to fire a Walther P22, a KelTec P32 and a subcompact Glock in 9mm.

To be honest, that would have been me ten years ago. Nowadays I'm so fed up with idiots in both parties thinking that elections give them terms of dictatorship rather than terms of service. They need to start remembering that they are public employees and serve at the discretion of the people they are trying to regulate into servitude.

I agree. The next step is to remove a few from office who have failed to live up to their side of the bargain. "Senator, you are relieved of duty. Pack up your office and be out by the end of the week."

These signs should be ignored by gun owners. Also, don't do business with these establishments unless it is a must.

many anti gun extremists identify with criminals and hate seeing criminals get harmed

First, I find it funny that you proudly proclaim yourself a Tea Party Member, but say that "Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side."

Funny. On so many levels. Constant is not even close to the definition of consent.

Second, if a place wants to be gun free of its own accord, why not? Bars for instance. Alcohol and guns do not mix. And if you think schools are a place for guns, you clearly do not know any teachers. Giving some teachers firearms when there are days they are close to beating their own students is a bad, bad idea. And as any teachers knows, you'd have to lock the firearms up and somehow attach the key so that it can never leave your body to ensure that the firearm is never used improperly.

Starts with an asking. Then a lobby. Perhaps some favors are exchanged. Now that his intent is known gotta vote him out of office.

First, I find it funny that you proudly proclaim yourself a Tea Party Member, but say that "Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side."

Funny. On so many levels. Constant is not even close to the definition of consent.

Second, if a place wants to be gun free of its own accord, why not? Bars for instance. Alcohol and guns do not mix. And if you think schools are a place for guns, you clearly do not know any teachers. Giving some teachers firearms when there are days they are close to beating their own students is a bad, bad idea. And as any teachers knows, you'd have to lock the firearms up and somehow attach the key so that it can never leave your body to ensure that the firearm is never used improperly.

the rule we have in ohio is best. I don't drink but we patronize establishments like TGIF that has a big bar. Indeed I often eat at the bar so I can watch sports and one of the bar tenders is both really cute and a good friend. So I carry but I don't touch booze.

Not everyone is so enlightened. Can you imagine two rival biker gangs at a bar where everyone is packing and drunk?

That's just asking for it.

its both state and federal felonies to be drunk and in possession of a weapon

funny thing-there has been almost zero cases of CCW holders violating those rules

From what I gather, many carry states have allowed bars to ban them.
Bars can ban them already, the owner of a premises can set the rules. Most states ban bar carry altogether but a few, including La. are working on carry laws to allow those with CCW to carry inside of an establishment that serves alcohol, however drinking while carrying is still prohibited by law.

Back
Top Bottom