• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Mayor Of Seattle asks Bussinesses to go "Gun-Free"

Bars can ban them already, the owner of a premises can set the rules. Most states ban bar carry altogether but a few, including La. are working on carry laws to allow those with CCW to carry inside of an establishment that serves alcohol, however drinking while carrying is still prohibited by law.

Depends on the state. Besides, does everyone follow that?

Utah lets you drink and carry up to the point of impairment (seriously Utah? Huh)

From what I gather, many carry states have allowed bars to ban them.

Ohio allows businesses to ban CCW.

one of my favorite places did

I saw the owner one day and she asked why we weren't coming in anymore

I said because I cannot carry and my wife cannot carry

she took the signs down noting that lots of her regulars told her the same thing

I believe in freedom-a bar owner has that right

and I have the right to shop or dine some place else

Depends on the state. Besides, does everyone follow that?

Utah lets you drink and carry up to the point of impairment (seriously Utah? Huh)
Most people aren't going to carry when they are drinking even without a law. The same people who drink and conceal any types of weapons into a bar are the same ones who don't care what the law is.

Most people aren't going to carry when they are drinking even without a law.

What makes you so sure? Given Turtle's claim on lack of violations, I doubt that people drink to drunkenness, but how many people have a beer or one drink?

The same people who drink and conceal any types of weapons into a bar are the same ones who don't care what the law is.

That's true.

What makes you so sure? Given Turtle's claim on lack of violations, I doubt that people drink to drunkenness, but how many people have a beer or one drink?

That's true.
It's a gray area. However if one is intoxicated, as Turtle said it is a felony to be in possession, the best course is to not have the firearm if one plans to drink. As to people who make a mistake and overconsume while they have a firearm present........no idea on the numbers.

It's a gray area. However if one is intoxicated, as Turtle said it is a felony to be in possession, the best course is to not have the firearm if one plans to drink. As to people who make a mistake and overconsume while they have a firearm present........no idea on the numbers.

I don't know either but there are very few revocations based on that

the rule we have in ohio is best. I don't drink but we patronize establishments like TGIF that has a big bar. Indeed I often eat at the bar so I can watch sports and one of the bar tenders is both really cute and a good friend. So I carry but I don't touch booze.

In Washington you can enter a restaurant like TGIF while carrying but you are not allowed to enter the bar section since that is under control of the state Liqueur Control Board.

First, I find it funny that you proudly proclaim yourself a Tea Party Member, but say that "Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side."

Funny. On so many levels. Constant is not even close to the definition of consent.

Second, if a place wants to be gun free of its own accord, why not? Bars for instance. Alcohol and guns do not mix. And if you think schools are a place for guns, you clearly do not know any teachers. Giving some teachers firearms when there are days they are close to beating their own students is a bad, bad idea. And as any teachers knows, you'd have to lock the firearms up and somehow attach the key so that it can never leave your body to ensure that the firearm is never used improperly.

Would you like a cookie for finding a typo?

I don't know either but there are very few revocations based on that
I don't think I know a single person who has carried while drunk, most of the people I know leave the guns behind on party nights. You never know but it's definitely not the smartest thing to do.

I don't think I know a single person who has carried while drunk, most of the people I know leave the guns behind on party nights. You never know but it's definitely not the smartest thing to do.

When I drink I know I put my gun away.

When I drink I know I put my gun away.

I wouldnt be scared of me doing something stupid with my gun when drunk. But my inhibited cognative abilities might not catch someone trying to steal my gun as easy so therefore wouldn't drink and carry. Too many drunk dumbasses that might grab it.

I could see me on my porch drinking moonshine with a double barrel on my lap though. :p

For us Gun owners in the Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side. Now we asking businesses to join his movement of being Gun-Free and have a Sign in the front (Signs that have no legal bearing) to adverstise the businesses as a "Gun-Free" zone because we know "Gun-Free zones" like schools have worked so well.

McGinn asking Seattle businesses to go ‘gun-free’ | Local News | The Seattle Times

If the property owner decides they don't want guns on their property, that should be fine. And the signs should have legal bearing on private property, the owner can set the rules.

I believe in freedom-a bar owner has that right

and I have the right to shop or dine some place else

And that's how it's supposed to be done. Responsible and informed consumerism; not government law.

Not everyone is so enlightened. Can you imagine two rival biker gangs at a bar where everyone is packing and drunk?

That's just asking for it.

Because we all know they would see the "no guns allowed" signage and leave their guns outside if they were drinking or not drink if they are packing.......

Nor do I. If I know I will have any alcohol whatsoever, I will not carry. I don't drink a lot, but I do not want to risk my CCW. Yet more innocent people are killed by people leaving those bars and parties, while under the influence, than people killed by CCW holders while in a bar or at a party....

For us Gun owners in the Pacific Northwest Mayor McGinn was been a consent thorn in our side. Now we asking businesses to join his movement of being Gun-Free and have a Sign in the front (Signs that have no legal bearing) to adverstise the businesses as a "Gun-Free" zone because we know "Gun-Free zones" like schools have worked so well.

McGinn asking Seattle businesses to go ‘gun-free’ | Local News | The Seattle Times

No legal bearing except that private business owner can prohibit people from entering their premises for any reason other than civil rights type things such as race, etc.

My mid-size city here did the same thing a couple years ago.

Nor do I. If I know I will have any alcohol whatsoever, I will not carry. I don't drink a lot, but I do not want to risk my CCW. Yet more innocent people are killed by people leaving those bars and parties, while under the influence, than people killed by CCW holders while in a bar or at a party....
Absolutely. The big problem is going to be the person who didn't care about legal compliance in the first place. I've seen one arrest for having a gun in a bar in my life, and that was probably about 14 years ago. A little wanna be thug got bounced from a club, turned to the bouncer with all of his 5'5" and 95lbs. and squeked "Imma show you, going to my car to get my gun, be right back". Well, an officer happened to be on that bar block and the bouncers alerted him to the threat, when the kid tried to get in through a side exit door the officer put him on the wall, frisked him, and found a gun.

They got the kid on assault with a deadly weapon(the threat), unlicensed carry, bar carry, I "think" public intimidation and remaining after forbidden. I assume he should be getting out in a year or five.

No legal bearing except that private business owner can prohibit people from entering their premises for any reason other than civil rights type things such as race, etc.

My mid-size city here did the same thing a couple years ago.

No they have no bearing. If I conceal carry into a store that has a no gun sign, under WA law I'm not breaking any law, but if the owner so the imprint of my gun and ask me to leave and I refused then I would be breaking the law.

No they have no bearing. If I conceal carry into a store that has a no gun sign, under WA law I'm not breaking any law, but if the owner so the imprint of my gun and ask me to leave and I refused then I would be breaking the law.

The statement presumed that a sign was placed, according to the premise of the thread.

The statement presumed that a sign was placed, according to the premise of the thread.

In many states, "no guns allowed" signage at a place of business does not have any force of law behind it. The only thing business owners can do is ask you to leave.

In many states, "no guns allowed" signage at a place of business does not have any force of law behind it. The only thing business owners can do is ask you to leave.

I don't see the problem. He's asking them, not telling them to. He can start whatever campaign he wants, it's not going to change the Second Amendment.

As LMR said, it's about principle. How would you feel about a politico that "asked" you to give up your 1st Amendment rights?

As LMR said, it's about principle. How would you feel about a politico that "asked" you to give up your 1st Amendment rights?
They already hold businesses hostage on just about everything else with licensing. Some of the dumbest business laws on the books are only enforceable because of those requirements, and it's already insulting to have a bunch of clowns acting as defacto business partners just because they happened to win an election.

Dear Mayor McGinn, dismiss your armed bodyguards first. You know, "lead by example," and so forth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom