• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Marriage of Julian Assange

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of the most chilling pieces I've read in recent times. Regardless if you are for or against Assange, the political implications are staggering.

I wish the best to the newlyweds.

I am disappointed that the Brits have decided to hand him over to the Americans.

Mr. A. embarrassed the American deep state, so they will make sure he spends the rest of his life in prison.

He will have the dubious honor of going down in journalism history as a martyr.

Truly, an indictment from the State Department is the Nobel Prize of our age.

I wish the best to the newlyweds.

I am disappointed that the Brits have decided to hand him over to the Americans.

Mr. A. embarrassed the American deep state, so they will make sure he spends the rest of his life in prison.

He will have the dubious honor of going down in journalism history as a martyr.

I understand what you're saying, but this is a total violation of rule of law. Just because the U.S. is angry doesn't mean that the laws no longer matter.

Reading between the lines, the checks and balances on global power are disappearing before our eyes.

How long before they can nab anyone, anywhere, without due process, and send them to jail for life without a sentence? The due process being granted to Assange is a parody of justice at best. We all already know the U.S. is going to nab him eventually. It's just a matter of the right people being influenced politically, which has nothing to do with justice.

This article is as dumb as the rest of them

"Julian is not a US citizen. WikiLeaks is not a US-based publication. And yet he is charged, under the US Espionage Act, with treason."

It's like saying that a non US citizen can't be charged with murder if they kill someone. If you commit the crime you can and will be charged.

He needs to rot in prison for his actions. He is not be charged because he made the US look bad with some leaked documents. He is being charged because he indiscriminately leaked classified documents that directly lead to some people dying. When you cause death there are consequences

"Julian is not a US citizen. WikiLeaks is not a US-based publication. And yet he is charged, under the US Espionage Act, with treason."

It's like saying that a non US citizen can't be charged with murder if they kill someone. If you commit the crime you can and will be charged.

He needs to rot in prison for his actions. He is not be charged because he made the US look bad with some leaked documents. He is being charged because he indiscriminately leaked classified documents that directly lead to some people dying. When you cause death there are consequences
Uh ... no. Your analogy fails. The idea that a non-citizen can be charged with treason is ridiculous.

Uh ... no. Your analogy fails. The idea that a non-citizen can be charged with treason is ridiculous.

He's not charged with treason, he's charged with violating the espionage act.

Uh, wut?

If a non US citizen kills someone in France, do they stand trial in the US? Nope.

Also, the information he leaked led to a realization that our armed forces were hiding their mistakes from the public. And that there was a top down agenda to continue to do so.

If the NY Times had spilled the beans, they'd get a pulitzer.

One of the most chilling pieces I've read in recent times. Regardless if you are for or against Assange, the political implications are staggering.

Well, you're right. The first SENTENCE is chilling: "...Craig Murray, who was the British Ambassador to Uzbekistan until he was fired for exposing the CIA black sites and torture centers in that country."

It really does add some context to these things to put them next to China's abuses and Putin's lies and war, to see how much we've gotten away with.

How we can say how terrible Putin is for trying to kill Alaxei Navalny and imprisoning him for telling the truth - when we had CIA plots to kill Assange and have imprisoned him for telling the truth.

HOW IN THE HELL are we better on those side by side? They seem almost like a mirror image.

I understand what you're saying, but this is a total violation of rule of law. Just because the U.S. is angry doesn't mean that the laws no longer matter.

It's a betrayal of the American claims to justice and law - it's copying the Chinese and Russian abuses of power where 'corrupt state interest' is the law.

How long before they can nab anyone, anywhere, without due process, and send them to jail for life without a sentence? The due process being granted to Assange is a parody of justice at best. We all already know the U.S. is going to nab him eventually. It's just a matter of the right people being influenced politically, which has nothing to do with justice.

We're already there? It's just not yet widespread like it is in China, still using it rarely as a deterrent.

He's an international criminal indicted for espionage.

No sympathy here.

He's an international criminal indicted for espionage.

No sympathy here.

Absolutely correct. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons doesn't make it right. And that would require one to think he did it for the right reasons to begin with, which I don't.

A father who murders his daughters rapist would probably garner the same kind of sympathy, improperly placed as it might be.

He's not charged with treason, he's charged with violating the espionage act.
I'm sorry. I assumed English was your first language. Read your own post #6. Here . . . I'll help you out by quoting it.

"And yet he is charged, under the US Espionage Act, with treason."

No crime was committed on U.S. soil. He didn't even commit a crime directly. He didn't steal information himself. He was handed information by others who possibly broke the law, and protected their identity.

Don't you care what this means for investigative journalists? It means that anyone reporting on whistleblower information is just as guilty as the person who did the crime, except that no such laws are on the books saying so. The U.S. and other political actors are making this up as they go.

He didn't leak documents. The documents were leaked to him and like any journalist he reported on it.

Also... do you care at all about the information that was leaked? That U.S. soldiers were not only killing civilians indiscriminately, but some expressed joy in doing so?

Do you care about the truth?

If you marry a prison inmate, prepare not to have the wedding of your dreams.

Lots of murderers get married in prison. Some men and women are nuts for murderers. I'm not saying Assange is a murderer but this chick obviously has the same sickness as the murder groupies.

Who did he marry? Putin?

Do you really think that anyone, US citizen or not, suspected of murder anywhere in the world should be deported to the USA to be tried. Think about this carefully.

Assange has never even visited the US why does anyone assume he is subject to its laws?

Do you really think that anyone, US citizen or not, suspected of murder anywhere in the world should be deported to the USA to be tried. Think about this carefully.

Assange has never even visited the US why does anyone assume he is subject to its laws?

I do find this an interesting position for the average liberal to take considering how much I heard about trying the gitmo detainees

because the globalist deep state now ha sthe power to do so.

this is even worse in some ways than china.... China wishes they could do something like this.

I have been trying to tell everyone that if they let these petty squabbles keep dividing us, these guys are going to eat our lunch and make us into a dystopic society.

Last edited:
I have been trying to tell everyone that if they let these petty squabbles keep dividing us, these guys are going to eat our lunch and make us into a dystopic society.

They already are.

Back
Top Bottom