• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The man who seduced the 7th Fleet

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The man who seduced the 7th Fleet | The Washington Post

A federal prosecutor hinted at the extent of the case last year when he said in court that more than 200 “subjects” were under investigation.

A striking portion of the Navy’s senior brass could be tarnished. In December, Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, summoned about 200 admirals to a special gathering in Washington.

Without naming names, he revealed that about 30 of them were under criminal investigation by the Justice Department or ethical scrutiny by the Navy for their connections to Francis, according to two senior Navy officials with direct knowledge of the meeting.
Massive corruption and as noted above, about 30 Admirals under investigation.
This will get very messy.

This is an important issue, and well done by WaPo to investigate and bring to light the threats to the country caused by this man and the admirals...

However, to publish this on Memorial Day Weekend, speaks to WaPo's ongoing anti-military agenda as well and tarnishes the good done by WaPo through their reporting in this instance.

Just look at the way the pictures slowly appear after the web page first comes up, making it look like it's part of some Memorial Day remembrance tribute, but then you see that it's not. Shameful.

I'm glad that organizations like WaPo are holding our military accountable. Yet, in that process, there is no need to be condescending to the rest of us that served and have friends and/or family that died while serving and are the reason for Memorial Day. Memorial Day weekend is not the correct timing to publish such a story. They could have at least waited a few days, or published it earlier, but that wouldn't have served their anti-military ideology at WaPo.

Man, this thing got big. Back when I worked in embassies in SE Asia I dealt with Glenn Defense quite a bit. Whenever a US Navy ship was going to be making a port call my office had to coordinate with a husbanding agent to get the ship its services. And we were required to use Glenn Defense because they had the contract with the Navy. I got interviewed by NCIS last year regarding my opinion of some of the senior Navy officers I worked with during that time and if I felt their behavior was on the up and up. I get the impression this has been a pretty exhaustive investigation.

I guess one way to stop incidents like this from happening in the future would be to supply the military with prostitutes vetted by the DOD.

Man, this thing got big. Back when I worked in embassies in SE Asia I dealt with Glenn Defense quite a bit. Whenever a US Navy ship was going to be making a port call my office had to coordinate with a husbanding agent to get the ship its services. And we were required to use Glenn Defense because they had the contract with the Navy. I got interviewed by NCIS last year regarding my opinion of some of the senior Navy officers I worked with during that time and if I felt their behavior was on the up and up. I get the impression this has been a pretty exhaustive investigation.

I have been following this off and on for some time now.
What is surprising is the breadth of corruption. Did people not think this would stay hidden?
When you have such corruption that it becomes commonplace, only have to wait before the investigations begin, as they surely will.

I have been following this off and on for some time now.
What is surprising is the breadth of corruption. Did people not think this would stay hidden?
When you have such corruption that it becomes commonplace, only have to wait before the investigations begin, as they surely will.

I think the breadth of of it played a big part in WHY people thought they were safe. The whole "everybody does it" and "this is the way things are done in this part of the world" reasoning is powerful. The more people involved the less likely someone thinks they will be singled out for accountability. As we see they were wrong, but I can understand the psychology behind it.

Maybe it is my own bias as an Army officer but I always thought Navy officers, specifically ships' captains, were some of the most entitled-feeling people on the planet. They are practically gods on their vessels. I can see that type of person rationalizing that they deserve the extravagance. There are exceptions, of course.

I think the breadth of of it played a big part in WHY people thought they were safe. The whole "everybody does it" and "this is the way things are done in this part of the world" reasoning is powerful. The more people involved the less likely someone thinks they will be singled out for accountability. As we see they were wrong, but I can understand the psychology behind it.

Maybe it is my own bias as an Army officer but I always thought Navy officers, specifically ships' captains, were some of the most entitled-feeling people on the planet. They are practically gods on their vessels. I can see that type of person rationalizing that they deserve the extravagance. There are exceptions, of course.
I wonder how many Junior Officers/Senior Enlisted tried to go against the tide and had their careers and asses handed to them?
It only take 1 with copies of invoices, stats and facts, to pass these on to the FBI.
And from there the ball of yarn is slowly dismantled, with offers of immunity, to reduced sentencing.
Now of the 30 Admirals under investigation, wait, watch and shoot as they may find themselves facing a lengthy prison sentence.
Then with an offer made of reduced sentences, retention of pensions as to who else was involved.
Now of those 30, they are still serving, how many retired Admirals were involved, or turned a blind eye???
Upside is, could be a hell of a lot of promotions.

This will get very ugly. There will be a number of admirals that will fall because of this - as they should. This is very sad to me.

To many like me, honor is non-negotiable... and damn sure not for sale.

I served. Saw corruption. 1 base I was at, I ran the Repair-Disposal where stuff was sent to die, broken, scrap weight to overhaul at contractors - hazmat and other things.
Logistics, and it soon became apparent that supply techs- Jnr ranks to Sgt were dumping stuff on my account and it was walking out the gate. Tools were a hot item, same with tires and vehicle parts.
I arrived in late Sept. went to an O Group in Nov, I informed the section heads- all Sgts- and my Pl Warrant that this would cease. I would be having a stocktaking in Feb, and any funny business, no paperwork to support the transfers, the items would be issued back.
Well it continued.

Had the stocktaking- canceled it- found the docs on the history- wrote up a bunch for transfer and went to see each Sgt that day with the documentation. Stated find who signed for this at my section or it was being issued back.

Called in that same day by my Pl Warrant who asked what the hell did i think I was doing.
I reminded him of the earlier O Group.
He was still pissed.
I then explained I would make all this go away, he looked at me and smiled. Thought he had a win and I was caving.
I then smiled back and informed him if this crap happened again I would see the Base Supply Officer directly and brief him on everything.
That crap stopped that day.
Needless to say I was not popular.

30 admirals? This isn't going to stop there; it goes higher than that.

I served. Saw corruption. 1 base I was at, I ran the Repair-Disposal where stuff was sent to die, broken, scrap weight to overhaul at contractors - hazmat and other things.
Logistics, and it soon became apparent that supply techs- Jnr ranks to Sgt were dumping stuff on my account and it was walking out the gate. Tools were a hot item, same with tires and vehicle parts.
I arrived in late Sept. went to an O Group in Nov, I informed the section heads- all Sgts- and my Pl Warrant that this would cease. I would be having a stocktaking in Feb, and any funny business, no paperwork to support the transfers, the items would be issued back.
Well it continued.

Had the stocktaking- canceled it- found the docs on the history- wrote up a bunch for transfer and went to see each Sgt that day with the documentation. Stated find who signed for this at my section or it was being issued back.

Called in that same day by my Pl Warrant who asked what the hell did i think I was doing.
I reminded him of the earlier O Group.
He was still pissed.
I then explained I would make all this go away, he looked at me and smiled. Thought he had a win and I was caving.
I then smiled back and informed him if this crap happened again I would see the Base Supply Officer directly and brief him on everything.
That crap stopped that day.
Needless to say I was not popular.

Like I said, honor is non-negotiable. You did the right thing, but you already knew that. You have honor, but I already knew that.

Back
Top Bottom