• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The majority of Americans identify as 'heterosexual'

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
According to a 2011 poll from the Williams Institute, there are approximately 9 million Americans who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender. Bisexual people account for a slight majority of that figure.

Now, that statistic increased to 8.2% (from roughly 3.8%) of Americans, when "any lifetime" same-sex sexual behavior was reported - roughly double. That leaves about 91.8% of Americans who report having never had same-sex relations. In other words, the vast majority of Americans are heterosexual.

We know that there is some friction that exists when conflict arises between people who do not agree with same-sex marriage as an institution, and those who support it. Now that same-sex marriage is a reality, public policy and society as a whole are less challenging of alternative views. Because heterosexual people comprise the vast majority of Americans who sexually identify, LGBT is still a minority alternative, compared to the majority alternative.

This subject may have already been introduced in another thread. The statistics show that America is mostly heterosexual, not homosexual. How does this static figure represent America at a point in our history? I do not expect it to change significantly.

According to a 2011 poll from the Williams Institute, there are approximately 9 million Americans who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender. Bisexual people account for a slight majority of that figure.

Now, that statistic increased to 8.2% (from roughly 3.8%) of Americans, when "any lifetime" same-sex sexual behavior was reported - roughly double. That leaves about 91.8% of Americans who report having never had same-sex relations. In other words, the vast majority of Americans are heterosexual.

We know that there is some friction that exists when conflict arises between people who do not agree with same-sex marriage as an institution, and those who support it. Now that same-sex marriage is a reality, public policy and society as a whole are less challenging of alternative views. Because heterosexual people comprise the vast majority of Americans who sexually identify, LGBT is still a minority alternative, compared to the majority alternative.

This subject may have already been introduced in another thread. The statistics show that America is mostly heterosexual, not homosexual. How does this static figure represent America at a point in our history? I do not expect it to change significantly.

I remember seeing statistics done for various purposes and from quite different cultures that showed that the number of homosexuals is more or less a constant. How this comes about seemed less clear.

I... don't really know what you're asking?

Non-straight people have always been a minority, of one size or another. So... I don't think it represents anything. Just biology.

Homosexuality and heterosexuality are not "alternatives." They're innate qualities.

However, those who are bi- or pansexual often do live entirely heterosexual lives, either because there's just more heterosexuals around, or because it's safer to do so (in societies where being non-straight is dangerous).

So that is the reason for the change since previous studies. It's not because there are more non-straight people. It's because there is less social stigma, so people who are attracted to more than one sex feel more at liberty to actually have relationships with people of the same sex if they find themselves attracted to such a person.

It might go up slightly as the stigma completely disappears but I imagine it will always be the minority since it is rooted in biology.

Let people live, and let live. You can break it down to any science that you like, but at the end of the day......they are people.

I could care less what sexual persuasion you are as long as you are decent to others while doing your own thing.

People really need to get over the LGBT thingy.

Do you have a point here. I like sex with hot women. It happens less frequently than I would like. If some other dude wants to hook up with another dude that is just that less competition for me.

WINNING!

Do you have a point here. I like sex with hot women. It happens less frequently than I would like. If some other dude wants to hook up with another dude that is just that less competition for me.

WINNING!

What about the people that say that dude is biologically compelled by his libido, and his actions can't be measured in society without defaulting to biological empiricism?

What about the people that say that dude is biologically compelled by his libido, and his actions can't be measured in society without defaulting to biological empiricism?

Good god, I say I don't give a **** what they say..

Of course the majority of Americans are heterosexual.

Gays are a minority. That's how it's always been, and that's how it will always be.

Last edited:
So threesomes are really hard to come by, unless someone gets a surrogate out of the "deal." What else is new?

I don't understand the point of this. Most americans are right handed...and?

If it's merely to report data, do you realize that poll is 5 years old? And with no follow up questions, we have no idea why the discrepancy between homosexual orientation/acts?

According to data that I've seen, most Americans think sex is good.

Also, mustard is often delcious and paper cuts are less popular than static electricity shocks.

I don't think there is a point to this thread.

Then don't post in it. I think there's a point to this thread and I did include a follow up question, which you answered in a previous post.

Then don't post in it. I think there's a point to this thread and I did include a follow up question, which you answered in a previous post.

I didn't answer one of your questions at all.

Oh, well, my question was answered anyway. I'm just talking about the one question from the OP.

The statistics show that America is mostly heterosexual, not homosexual. How does this static figure represent America at a point in our history? I do not expect it to change significantly.

Of course the majority of Americans are heterosexual.

Gays are a minority. That's how it's always been, and that's how it will always be.

Oh, well, my question was answered anyway. I'm just talking about the one question from the OP.

My statement was not in a response to your question. I was responding to the thread topic in general.

Maybe if someone just told me what I wanted to hear, then I could justify my own worldview without having to be self-accountable!

:fart

Anyone, including the state would do.

I think all you are asking is if people ever think that ratio will significantly change? If that's your question then my answer is of course no if the defining criteria stays the same. There will probably be an increase due to less fear of discrimination/assault/harm but not a large one. I mention defining criteria because there may be a time where our definitions for said terms widens or broadens and becomes more blurry. It maybe scientifically or socially. For a social example right now if said I made out with probably 10 different girls in college most people would not classify me as gay or bi, but If a dude did so many would say he was gay or bi. So there is some grey are that could shift that may cause an impact that we are unaware of in the future.

I think all you are asking is if people ever think that ratio will significantly change? If that's your question then my answer is of course no if the defining criteria stays the same. There will probably be an increase due to less fear of discrimination/assault/harm but not a large one. I mention defining criteria because there may be a time where our definitions for said terms widens or broadens and becomes more blurry. It maybe scientifically or socially. For a social example right now if said I made out with probably 10 different girls in college most people would not classify me as gay or bi, but If a dude did so many would say he was gay or bi. So there is some grey are that could shift that may cause an impact that we are unaware of in the future.

First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if you did make out with probably 10 different girls in college, even though that beats my record. I think girls probably like to make out, so it shouldn't be hard to find 10 out of 11.5 million. Depending on your college, that ratio is likely to still be quite high, since more women attend college than do men. But, since I sincerely doubt you will be attending an all-male college as a women, your odds are greater than 0 of making out with probably 10 girls.

The other thing is, why do you think that there is a grey area? I included the 8.2% statistic for any lifetime same-sex sexual behavior. Do you think that a significant number of men or women constitute a non-reporting bias? That would be a serious flaw in this study which draws from a few different surveys done between 2004 and 2010 that run the gamut: National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions, National Survey of Family Growth, National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior, Canadian Community Health Survey, General Social Survey, etc.

First of all, it wouldn't surprise me if you did make out with probably 10 different girls in college, even though that beats my record. I think girls probably like to make out, so it shouldn't be hard to find 10 out of 11.5 million. Depending on your college, that ratio is likely to still be quite high, since more women attend college than do men. But, since I sincerely doubt you will be attending an all-male college as a women, your odds are greater than 0 of making out with probably 10 girls.

The other thing is, why do you think that there is a grey area? I included the 8.2% statistic for any lifetime same-sex sexual behavior. Do you think that a significant number of men or women constitute a non-reporting bias? That would be a serious flaw in this study which draws from a few different surveys done between 2004 and 2010 that run the gamut: National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions, National Survey of Family Growth, National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior, Canadian Community Health Survey, General Social Survey, etc.

I don't know why there is a grey area there just is and it's personal and society/geographically based. Fear, acceptance, personal beliefs, local beliefs etc etc all probably play a role that could change how we view it.

I don't know why there is a grey area there just is and it's personal and society/geographically based. Fear, acceptance, personal beliefs, local beliefs etc etc all probably play a role that could change how we view it.

Well, I don't think that 2 Chainz meant that he was gay when he said "I deserve a threesome for my birthday," if that's what you mean by "personal."

Who knows? Are you aware of how many people (mostly younger, I imagine) identify as "queer" these days and who are actually heterosexual? I read about some high school in Indiana where some astounding member of the student body self-identified in a poll as being some part of the LGBTQQIXYZWTF. <<Yeah, okay, joking about the alphabet soup but not the poll. And sorry, I can't link to the "study" or I would. I think there are elements of a social contagion in those sorts of examples. And I'm using "social contagion" in a non-pejorative sense.

Anyway, it is it's hard to count something where the definitions keep changing. Might make polling across decades a bit dicey. I always thought the Williams Institute was reasonably solid, but the ground beneath our feet may be shifting in ways yet unknown.

What do you call a man who identifies as heterosexual throughout his life, has sex only with women, marries, fathers children, then announces that he's actually a woman - and is still attracted only to women. He may well call himself a lesbian now? Do you? Do the pollsters?

P.S., Your thread title is of the :doh variety.

Who knows? Are you aware of how many people (mostly younger, I imagine) identify as "queer" these days and who are actually heterosexual? I read about some high school in Indiana where some astounding member of the student body self-identified in a poll as being some part of the LGBTQQIXYZWTF. <<Yeah, okay, joking about the alphabet soup but not the poll. And sorry, I can't link to the "study" or I would. I think there are elements of a social contagion in those sorts of examples. And I'm using "social contagion" in a non-pejorative sense.

Anyway, it is it's hard to count something where the definitions keep changing. Might make polling across decades a bit dicey. I always thought the Williams Institute was reasonably solid, but the ground beneath our feet may be shifting in ways yet unknown.

What do you call a man who identifies as heterosexual throughout his life, has sex only with women, marries, fathers children, then announces that he's actually a woman - and is still attracted only to women. He may well call himself a lesbian now? Do you? Do the pollsters?

P.S., Your thread title is of the :doh variety.

Wow, I think that's great that an astounding member of the student body is a bona-fide queer (or gay or lesbian or bisexual). Or did you mean to say an astounding number of that body of students?

Wow, I think that's great that an astounding member of the student body is a bona-fide queer (or gay or lesbian or bisexual). Or did you mean to say an astounding number of that body of students?
Lolol. Thanks for the gentle heads-up! Probably no point in editing that at this point. Yes, of course, I meant "number of students in that high school." And I think it approached 25% of the couple thousand polled who said they were LGBTQQETC. Just a nutty thing.

Back
Top Bottom