• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The majority of Americans identify as 'heterosexual'

Lolol. Thanks for the gentle heads-up! Probably no point in editing that at this point. Yes, of course, I meant "number of students in that high school." And I think it approached 25% of the couple thousand polled who said they were LGBTQQETC. Just a nutty thing.

I have always found queer people to be astonishing. Or gays, or lesbians, or bisexual or whatever.

I have always found queer people to be astonishing. Or gays, or lesbians, or bisexual or whatever.

Whatev. But wouldn't you agree that "queer" is, or soon will be, totally meaningless? It certainly would require a footnote or two in any current poll worth its salt these days, I would think.

Whatev. But wouldn't you agree that "queer" is, or soon will be, totally meaningless? It certainly would require a footnote or two in any current poll worth its salt these days, I would think.

Yeah, whatever.

I didn't know, but are you ambisexual?

You'll have to define 'ambisexual' for me before I can answer truthfully. I'll accept in advance your expertise on such matters.

Let people live, and let live. You can break it down to any science that you like, but at the end of the day......they are people.

I could care less what sexual persuasion you are as long as you are decent to others while doing your own thing.

People really need to get over the LGBT thingy.

I totally agree but you reach a point where it isn't just letting people live. People seem compelled to control others whether it's someone refusing to hire someone who is gay or someone being told they have to hire someone who is gay.

I also feel that individual Americans have a right to equal treatment under the law regardless of the sexual orientation.

According to a 2011 poll from the Williams Institute, there are approximately 9 million Americans who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender. Bisexual people account for a slight majority of that figure.

Now, that statistic increased to 8.2% (from roughly 3.8%) of Americans, when "any lifetime" same-sex sexual behavior was reported - roughly double. That leaves about 91.8% of Americans who report having never had same-sex relations. In other words, the vast majority of Americans are heterosexual.

We know that there is some friction that exists when conflict arises between people who do not agree with same-sex marriage as an institution, and those who support it. Now that same-sex marriage is a reality, public policy and society as a whole are less challenging of alternative views. Because heterosexual people comprise the vast majority of Americans who sexually identify, LGBT is still a minority alternative, compared to the majority alternative.

This subject may have already been introduced in another thread. The statistics show that America is mostly heterosexual, not homosexual. How does this static figure represent America at a point in our history? I do not expect it to change significantly.

Given how brutally homosexuals were treated for most of human history, I don't think a record of the precise percentages is possible. One might look at, however, older cultures (ancient Greece, or Rome) where homosexuality was not necessarily condemned might provide some indication of frequency. But even then, if the culture didn't care, then they had no reason to track actual rates either.

(Odd thing about Rome: homosexual relations between citizens were mocked - for example, Ceasar was mocked for allegedly allowing himself to be "bottom" for another leader when he was first starting out (name escapes me) as a serious politician - but nobody batted an eyelash if a citizen schtupped a male slave).

What we do know is that it appears to be part genetic, part epi-genetic. There's not much reason to think rates would vary significantly over time. We have also observed homosexual behavior in various animal species.

According to data that I've seen, most Americans think sex is good.

Also, mustard is often delcious and paper cuts are less popular than static electricity shocks.

He made a funny.

Back
Top Bottom