• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the lunch thread

lunch deserves its rightful place alongside dinner, because occasionally, it's the best meal of the day.

so what are you having for lunch?

i'll start :

today was tortilla crusted fish, rice with cheese, and canned potatoes. this is the first time i've ever had canned potatoes, which is odd for someone in his 30s. they were actually pretty good.

I am a type 2 diabetic, controlled. That means I control my blood sugar with exercise & diet.

Eating is the last, greatest pleasure I have. I cannot drink alcohol as I am an alcoholic. I should not eat ice cream, Oreos, chocolate mousse, stuffed pastries, Oreos, sweetened breakfast cereal, cherry pie, Oreos, shrimp or prawns, smoked meat, or Oreos.
But I don't really miss it, Oreos.
I cook all my own food and have since I was a teen. There was no mom in the family so my brother and I had to learn because my dad would **** up a hot dog. My brother was OK if you liked scrambled eggs.

I eat five small meals a day with snacking, yogurt & nuts etc.

I keep it varied following the principles of diabetic care, certain amount of protien, etc. I pre mix breakfast, mainly oatmeal with pumpkin seeds, cashews, pecan pieces, sunflower seeds, rape seed all cooked in whole milk (microwave 3 min) and topped with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon as my first 'meal'.
I snack on fresh fruit through the day. I cook small roasts, chickens, ribs, pork loin and freeze them in single portions. I make soups, stews, chilli (secret...cook with 3 ton 5 prunes and remnove before serving). A lot of Polish food I can't spell, and Chinese which I have been doing for decades. All frozen into single portions.

Meals are both medicine for my body and my mental health. I enjoy it all, shopping (I walk never drive) how much I can fit in my back pack, the preparation and the ability to eat within seconds of having my blood sugar spike downward. I walk anymore with a backpack that surprises me in how much it can carry, so I get exercise while shopping.

Retirement is heaven.

I am a type 2 diabetic, controlled. That means I control my blood sugar with exercise & diet.

Eating is the last, greatest pleasure I have. I cannot drink alcohol as I am an alcoholic. I should not eat ice cream, Oreos, chocolate mousse, stuffed pastries, Oreos, sweetened breakfast cereal, cherry pie, Oreos, shrimp or prawns, smoked meat, or Oreos.
But I don't really miss it, Oreos.
I cook all my own food and have since I was a teen. There was no mom in the family so my brother and I had to learn because my dad would **** up a hot dog. My brother was OK if you liked scrambled eggs.

I eat five small meals a day with snacking, yogurt & nuts etc.

I keep it varied following the principles of diabetic care, certain amount of protien, etc. I pre mix breakfast, mainly oatmeal with pumpkin seeds, cashews, pecan pieces, sunflower seeds, rape seed all cooked in whole milk (microwave 3 min) and topped with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon as my first 'meal'.
I snack on fresh fruit through the day. I cook small roasts, chickens, ribs, pork loin and freeze them in single portions. I make soups, stews, chilli (secret...cook with 3 ton 5 prunes and remnove before serving). A lot of Polish food I can't spell, and Chinese which I have been doing for decades. All frozen into single portions.

Meals are both medicine for my body and my mental health. I enjoy it all, shopping (I walk never drive) how much I can fit in my back pack, the preparation and the ability to eat within seconds of having my blood sugar spike downward. I walk anymore with a backpack that surprises me in how much it can carry, so I get exercise while shopping.

Retirement is heaven.
When I was overweight in my 20s, I was prediabetic. I lost 100 pounds, and that fixed it for now. My guess is that I'll be dealing with it again at some point. I watch my weight and have kept a food diary for more than a decade, but whenever I have fast food or M&Ms or something, I think about how I might not be able to do that at some point. I'm glad that you are enjoying retirement.

Tried these for the first time. They weren't even kidding. I love spicy, I have 10 types of hot sauces, I put jalapenos and pepper flakes and the like on all kinds of stuff, but holy shit. I don't even know how to describe how spicy these were. Of course I ate the whole bowl, and I'll eat the rest of them, but I might hold back on half the flavour packet next time.
63D7C1BF-6E1A-4065-B789-BF91259B7866.jpeg

I tried a Mexicali plant based burrito with hot sauce and baked Cheetos. It was good, and I couldn't tell that it was plant based meat even though I'm not currently a vegetarian. It was a frozen burrito that I microwaved and then finished in the oven. I'll probably have that one again.

Morning Star maple sausage on an English muffin with organic American cheese
Slice of pumpkin bread.

I don’t have a picture, but one of my favorite dinner treats (which is in the lunch thread because I work graveyard shift and have my supper at 10 am) is a take on the venerable grilled cheese. I make it like this, I have two slices of either rye or whole wheat, rye today. I start by pan frying 3 slices of bacon, until they’re crisp, making sure to cook all the fat into the pan (i am a believer in cast iron and use it near exclusively, but any decent pan will do) then i assemble my bread with two slices of tillamook sharp cheddar (of course your favorite hard cheese of any variety will suffice but I’m a northwest boy and only buy Tillamook sharp) and mayo, then after the bacon is cooked I put the bacon in the sandwich, then I pan fry the sandwich in the liquid bacon fat until the cheese is melted like a grilled cheese and the bread is browned with bacon-y goodness,

Try it sometime, you’ll love it

Sunday Lunch:

Braised Blade Steaks, with carrots and mushrooms.
Green beans.

I had a slice and a half of veggie pizza from the freezer. My kid has some Scooby snack graham crackers, so that was dessert.

Light English muffin sandwich with veggie sausage and American cheese
Banana on the side.

Ham and Swiss cheese sandwich on health nut bread with light mayo
Banana.

Something healthy so I don't eat too much junk during football.

Caesar salad with extra feta and extra wine.

20230129_151115.jpg

Bacon and Swiss cheese sandwich on health nut bread with light mayo
Potato chips.

Tried a new recipe 😋

Shrimp and Asparagus Fettuccine.

20230205_125426.jpg

Egg salad salad. A hard boiled egg cut up in a bowl with 1T of thousand island dressing and one 1T of sour cream. 3 large pinches of store bought shredded carrots. 1 pinch of dried cherries or cranberries. Salt and fresh ground pepper corns.

Ham and Swiss cheese sandwich on healthy multigrain with lettuce and light mayo
Pringles.

Roast beef and Swiss sandwich with horseradish sauce
Pretzels.

lunch deserves its rightful place alongside dinner, because occasionally, it's the best meal of the day.

so what are you having for lunch?

i'll start :

today was tortilla crusted fish, rice with cheese, and canned potatoes. this is the first time i've ever had canned potatoes, which is odd for someone in his 30s. they were actually pretty good.
LunchShanghaiFinancialCenterx500.jpg

Roast beef and Swiss cheese sandwich with horseradish sauce and Pringles on the side.

Back
Top Bottom