• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the lunch thread

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
lunch deserves its rightful place alongside dinner, because occasionally, it's the best meal of the day.

so what are you having for lunch?

i'll start :

today was tortilla crusted fish, rice with cheese, and canned potatoes. this is the first time i've ever had canned potatoes, which is odd for someone in his 30s. they were actually pretty good.

lunch deserves its rightful place alongside dinner, because occasionally, it's the best meal of the day.

so what are you having for lunch?

i'll start :

today was tortilla crusted fish, rice with cheese, and canned potatoes. this is the first time i've ever had canned potatoes, which is odd for someone in his 30s. they were actually pretty good.

Never heard of...got a recipe link?

me:

Turkey with munster on wheat
Mayo, tomato and lettuce.

Never heard of...got a recipe link?

me:

Turkey with munster on wheat
Mayo, tomato and lettuce.

prepackaged. cooked it in the oven at 350 for 12 mins and seasoned to taste.

however, this recipe looks pretty awesome :

Tortilla Crusted Tilapia Recipe | Just A Pinch Recipes

in the past couple years, i've started dabbling in cooking, and have found that i have at least a little aptitude for it. might give this recipe a shot.

We rarely ever eat lunch other than grabbing an apple or orange or other small snack. We usually have a good breakfast and an early dinner. So our lunch/dinner today will be homemade bierocks and a salad.

We rarely ever eat lunch other than grabbing an apple or orange or other small snack. We usually have a good breakfast and an early dinner. So our lunch/dinner today will be homemade bierocks and a salad.

bierocks sounds like something the Flintstones would eat.

bierocks sounds like something the Flintstones would eat.

Naw, just those of us with German or Austrian roots and/or who like German food. It's pretty simple actually--sautéed seasoned onions and cabbage enclosed inside a good bread dough in the shape of a large roll, and baked until the bread is done. Easy, yummy, and nobody doesn't like them. :)

I have made my own bread dough when I have time, but when I'm in a hurry, Pillsbury hot roll mix makes a really good dough for Bierocks and it is quick and easy.

Corned Beef Reuben and a cup of Chili.

First time I've had corned beef in this place and it was really good. It seems like they make it themselves.

Naw, just those of us with German or Austrian roots and/or who like German food. It's pretty simple actually--sautéed seasoned onions and cabbage enclosed inside a good bread dough in the shape of a large roll, and baked until the bread is done. Easy, yummy, and nobody doesn't like them. :)

Man, that sounds good!

Smoked Turkey sandwich. I'm on a stinking diet!

Man, that sounds good!

Thanks. They really are. I haven't found anybody who doesn't like them, and I suppose they could be made from a gluten free product, if somebody needed that.

The recipe is ridiculously simple:

Brown and drain a half pound to a pound of hamburger. When it is just browned, throw some chopped onions and shredded cabbage into the hamburger and sautee until just slightly softened- only takes a very few minutes. At the same time season the mixture to taste with salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce. I use a lot of sauce to get good flavor in mine.

Let cool until it is cool enough to handle with your hands. Meanwhile make the Pillsbury Hot Rolls according to package directions and divide into eight equal portions. Flatten each out until thin and place a couple of heaping tablespoons or so of the seasoned hamburger/cabbage/onion mixture in the middle, pull each of the four sides over the filling and pinch them all together to firmly seal so that the filling is fully enclosed inside the bread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Enjoy. Any leftovers can be warmed a few seconds in the microwave and they freeze well too.

Edited to add the hamburger. Almost forgot that is one of the ingredients.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I sampled the fries and cornbread but generally refrained.

When you get older food, PC and TV/Movies are all that's left. Sex, sports and physical activities are in the past.

Hell, I could over eat veggies and fruit.

prepackaged. cooked it in the oven at 350 for 12 mins and seasoned to taste.

however, this recipe looks pretty awesome :

Tortilla Crusted Tilapia Recipe | Just A Pinch Recipes

in the past couple years, i've started dabbling in cooking, and have found that i have at least a little aptitude for it. might give this recipe a shot.

Uh oh! The world's best chefs are men. Does this mean you're going to get rich and famous on TV and forget us on DP? :boohoo:

Greetings, Helix. :2wave:

Uh oh! The world's best chefs are men. Does this mean you're going to get rich and famous on TV and forget us on DP? :boohoo:

Greetings, Helix. :2wave:

hi, polgara.

i would disagree about the gender / chef point. my grandmother was the best chef i ever met. for dessert, i would often just have more of her mashed potatoes and gravy. that's pretty uncommon for a ten year old kid. you could cut her fried pork chops with the edge of a fork. she must have fried them at low heat all day or something; still can't figure that one out.

hi, polgara.

i would disagree about the gender / chef point. my grandmother was the best chef i ever met. for dessert, i would often just have more of her mashed potatoes and gravy. that's pretty uncommon for a ten year old kid. you could cut her fried pork chops with the edge of a fork. she must have fried them at low heat all day or something; still can't figure that one out.

My maternal grandmother was also an excellent cook. She fried them and then steamed them for two hours in the oven with an aluminum foil covering over them. Yum!! My parents would take us to their house every Sunday for dinner, which was the highlight of my week! My uncles had a closet full of comic books that I wish I could read again today! Memories....:thumbs:

After reading all the preceding menus I feel lesser. I had 3 slices of 3 day old reheated pizza.

An easy guy with easy needs... That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:mrgreen:

Thom Paine

After reading all the preceding menus I feel lesser. I had 3 slices of 3 day old reheated pizza.

An easy guy with easy needs... That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:mrgreen:

Thom Paine

Pizza for supper sounds great. Thanks

I tried a Looney Spoons recipe called "Tongue Thai'd" (which is Pad Thai) with large shrimps. I used refined sweet potato noodles .....I didn't like it. The dish is also ultra-high in sodium so I don't think I'll make it again.

today was a cracked pepper roast beef wrap with tortilla chips and salsa on the side.

pretty awesome. unfortunately, i had to eat it in only ten minutes, as i was right in the middle of a time course in the lab. i almost tasted it.

One Slim Jim...actually it was a Jack's Links version.

Between scheduled clients, phone calls and drop-ins I'm hoping to be able to suck down a can of soup later on.

chicken fried rice. it was ok; had to douse it in soy sauce.

I rarely eat lunch. I don't eat breakfast, either. I know that I should, but I just don't. If we go out, sometimes I'll have Hubs buy me lunch but it's usually at our favorite sushi place. I usually just skip straight through to dinner.

salad
MRE style meatloaf / mashed potatoes
stir fried onions / mushrooms / green peppers

for some reason, i really like the off the shelf room temp tv dinners.

Back
Top Bottom