• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Showrunners Admit They Don’t Have The Rights To The Silmarillion Or Unfinished Tales

XDU

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Really hope Amazon doesn't get in trouble for this.
Those are some deep pockets someone's going to be digging in. Is the show already on air? Because if it isn't, I'd say there is a good chance it won't be.

Reactions: XDU
Those are some deep pockets someone's going to be digging in. Is the show already on air? Because if it isn't, I'd say there is a good chance it won't be.
I don't think this will stop it from airing, which I believe is scheduled for September of this year. The more likely scenario is they will work out a deal with the Tolkien estate, who own the rights to the books from what I remember. The film rights (LOTR and The Hobbit trilogy) used to be Warner Bros. but I don't think they have those rights anymore. The claim Patrick McKay (one of the showrunners) makes about most of the source material being in content they do have the rights to (LOTR and The Hobbit for TV airings) is questionable since some of the characters and the storylines they seem to be hinting at in the series would be found in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

It will depend on how closely it sticks to the two works I mentioned above, or whether they're going to make it more of an adaptation. I am curious to see what they do with this series, because I always felt the storyline in The Silmarillion would be great to see on screen; the battles in the First and Second Ages were epic compared to those later in the lore.

The article says there's plenty of material from the LotR to base the story on which... isn't wrong but isn't much. They're probably going to take artistic license with adaptation which is what's said in the article from interpreting and inserting characters.

So far it’s decent and I’ve learned that elves are really good at standing on boats and that dwarves all have terrible mustaches.

I was about 8 chapters into the Silmarillion back in the '80's. I needed some car work so I brought the book. After getting the car worked on and starting to drive home, I remembered I left the book in the waiting room. It is probably still there.

It's been largely a mess. Bezos' GoT envy + $ + a tangential Tolkien license = a highly produced mess.

Back
Top Bottom