• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Long Hot Summer of 2013

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
What should we make of the fact that stories like these–some absurd, some not really about race at all–are being given so much attention in the press? I think the conventional wisdom, that self-appointed civil rights leaders will seize on any purported manifestation of racism in order to stay relevant, no matter how minor or even non-existent such purported manifestations may be, is correct.

But I would go beyond that: I suspect that there is another reason why the press is so fixated on race these days. The left’s agenda is in tatters. Obamacare has crashed on takeoff, after five years of Democratic policies the economy is in the doldrums and we are nearly $17 trillion in debt, and the Obama administration’s foreign policy is is disarray. The Democratic Party, as represented by the press, desperately needs sideshows to 1) rally the party’s faithful, and 2) distract the rest of us from the failures of the liberal agenda. Thus, I don’t think it is a coincidence that liberals are doing their best to portray the summer of 2013 as more or less a replay of 1967. The silliness of the attempt is a measure of how out of ammo liberals are these days.

This has all gotten so shrill because after a black man was elected President twice white guilt was at a low ebb. Rumor has it that the Rev. Jackson's shakedowns of corporations for imagined racial offenses had gotten to be very unsuccessful. Nobody was honoring the race card. There is a lot of basic desperation in the effort to gin up concern about racism.

It has been a rainy cool summer where I live. Great for the electric bill, but sucked for my garden. Too wet. Even the weeds in my yard were struggling to stay alive with all the wet.

Oh, yeah, on that race thing--the media just realizes that Obamacare is going to be a disaster during the midterms so they have to create really good red-herrings, though there is this whole meta-sociological reason for the race thing, but blaming the liberal media works better.

You mean a "mixed-race" man, just as with Tiger Woods. I believe the trend to hate on Obama accelerated when Tiger was being chased by a golf club, just as I believe Tiger made Obama palatable when he had a good name.
This has all gotten so shrill because after a black man was elected President twice white guilt was at a low ebb. Rumor has it that the Rev. Jackson's shakedowns of corporations for imagined racial offenses had gotten to be very unsuccessful. Nobody was honoring the race card. There is a lot of basic desperation in the effort to gin up concern about racism.

Actually it hasn't been quite as hot here as usual, and has already started cooling slightly. :)

We had about 3 weeks of hot, really. The rest has been downright lovely. So cool in fact, that we haven't used our season pass to Lake Compounce much, because we mainly go for the water park...the kids are too small for most of the rides on the other half of the park. And it's been too cool to go swimming.

You don't know hot till you come down to Texas for a 103 day with 50% humidity in fire proof clothing.

Back
Top Bottom