• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Little Red Hen - Modern Version

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The Little Red Hen - Modern Version

Once upon a time, on a farm in
Texas, there was a little red hen who scratched about
the barnyard until she uncovered quite a few grains of wheat.

She called all of her neighbors together and said, "If we plant this wheat, we shall
have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?"

"Not I," said the cow.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Not I," said the pig.

"Not I," said the goose.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen. And so she did. The wheat grew very tall and ripened into golden grain.

"Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Out of my classification," said the pig.

"I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.

"I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen, and so she did.

At last it came time to bake the bread.

"Who will help me bake the bread! ?" asked the little red hen.

"That would be overtime for me," said the cow.

"I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.

"I'm a dropout and never learned how," said the pig.

"If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.

"Then I will do it by myself," said the little red hen. She baked five loaves
and held them up for all of her neighbors to see.

They wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen
said, "No, I shall eat all five loaves."

"Excess profits!" cried the cow.

"Capitalist leech!" screamed the duck.

"I demand equal rights!" yelled the goose.

The pig just grunted in disdain.

And they all painted "Unfair!" picket signs and marched around and around
the little red hen, shouting obscenities.

Then a government agent came and said to the little red hen,
"You must not be so greedy."

"But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.

"Exactly," said the agent. "That is what makes our free enterprise system
so wonderful. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But under
our modern government regulations, the productive workers must divide the
fruits of their labor with those who are lazy and idle,"

And they all lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who smiled
and clucked, "I am grateful, for now I truly understand,"

But her neighbors became quite disappointed in her. She never again baked
bread because she joined the "party" and got her bread free.

And all the Democrats smiled. 'Fairness' had been established. Individual
initiative had died, but nobody noticed; perhaps no one cared.....as long as there
was free bread that "the rich" were paying for.

Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs.

Hillary got $8 million for hers.

That's $20 million for memories from two people, who for eight years, repeatedly
testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY, OR WHAT?

Let's not put all the blame on the Democrats here. Corporate welfare, and the regulation of business that goes along with it, is every bit as insidious as welfare statism if not moreso.

Kandahar said:
Let's not put all the blame on the Democrats here. Corporate welfare, and the regulation of business that goes along with it, is every bit as insidious as welfare statism if not moreso.

I don't think "corporate welfare" has anything to do with the scenario.

Reminds of me of the article on taxes similiar to this.

Sucks huh?

I mean, lets look at it this way

you work super hard for your money, and you donate to charity-and I mean alot, you do more charity work in a year then most people work at a normal job, or you at least give a moderate amount of money to charity, I mean, its the only respectful thing the people who are better off can do, its a sign of grace and shows you haven't forgot your roots.

Then this guy comes up to and says-hey, this is mine too.

Why?

Because he's a leech, and this leech is called a tax, and this tax doesn't even benefit you, who just worked so hard giving both your extra hours and your on pay work time to help others, yet you are still punished for your productivity, for what?

Lifes a bitch unless you evade taxes.

Here is the problem with those who feel the wealthy get all of the breaks...

This is a VERY simple way to understand the tax laws. It DOES make you think. Let's put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand:

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner.
The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing, the fifth would pay $1, the sixth would pay $3, the seventh $7, the eighth $12, the ninth $13, and the tenth man (the richest) would pay $59. That's what they decided to do.

The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement ..... until one day, the owner threw them a curve (in tax language, a 'tax cut'). "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20." So now dinner for the ten only cost $80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. The first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six - the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair share?" The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being PAID to eat their meal. So the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of his earlier $59.

Each of the six was better off than before, and the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. "But he (pointing to the tenth man) got $7!". "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!". "That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!". "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!". The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered a little late what was very important. They were FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS short of paying the bill! Imagine that!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, abuse them in some way, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. Where would that leave the rest? Unfortunately, most taxing authorities cannot seem to grasp this rather straight-forward logic!

cnredd said:
And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, abuse them in some way, and they just may not show up at the table anymore. Where would that leave the rest? Unfortunately, most taxing authorities cannot seem to grasp this rather straight-forward logic!

Atlas Shrugged

Back
Top Bottom