• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The link between white supremacy and mass shootings

Does the number really even matter. At one time I really thought we just had to worry about Islamic terrorists now we have our own home grown terrorists who have actually killed more Americans than the Islamc terrorists in the USA since 2001
And we were vigilant. But since "it isn't the biggest problem by far," I guess vigilance is no longer necessary. Imagine if these shooters were Muslim.

Let's say we eliminate all racially motivated white on Black murders. How many murders would remain, percentage-wise? It's like talking about a leaky faucet on the Titanic. Sure, the leaky faucet is bad and it needs to be fixed. But there's other stuff going on.
This is a burden of proof reversal. Google is your friend and it still has nothig to do with White Supremacist murders and the reason as outlined in my post not to mention most crimes comitted by blacks are on other blacks;

Last edited:
White Supremacy's Warped Rationale

In the aftermath of any mass slaughter in this country, the conversation turns, in desultory fashion, to the issue of mental illness. Tucker Carlson, hastening to dismiss widespread recognition of the fact that his show’s white nationalist politics echoed those of the shooter’s, who he dismissed as a “mentally ill teenager,” the sentiment issuing forth from Carlson’s angry red face like ooze from a ham. The Wall Street Journal’s Opinion section called the shooter “deranged,” asserting that “mental illness seems to be the most significant common denominator” in mass shootings. Derangement is always postulated as the first-line cause for why a man would pick up a gun and set out to kill as many people as he can. And it is a tempting explanation. It’s soothing to imagine that only an extraordinarily warped mind could engage in such acts—even when they have avowed, specific political motivations.

The truth of the matter is that Payton Gedron, who killed ten and wounded more in a Tops supermarket in Buffalo on Saturday, felt assured that he was acting in the interests of a coherent and thoroughgoing worldview: he is a part of the white supremacist movement spouting its catechisms about “white genocide,” an ideology with tens of thousands of adherents around the world, painting all nonwhite people as not only inferior but threatening, and postulating that behind it all is the eminence grise of the Jew. White supremacist ideology serves as a means to explain the modern world, even while shunning it. While Gedron appears to have been radicalized online, the world of far-right Internet extremism exists in parallel with the radicalization of the country's political right as a whole. (I wrote Sunday for Rolling Stone about the role of this rhetoric in the mainstream of the Republican Party.) The ethno-nationalist movement plays powerfully on the natural human emotions of those who buy in: on their loneliness, on their desire for purpose, on their need for a sense of identity and community. It is important to understand the mechanisms of white supremacist recruitment—its mass appeal online, given the lethal power it has to drive massacre after massacre—and in order to do so, it is necessary to take a look at the intertwined prejudices that drive the movement forward.

What is the 'Great Replacement' and how is it tied to the Buffalo shooting suspect?

Authorities are calling Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, N.Y., a racially motivated attack. The suspect allegedly wrote a 180-page document filled with hateful rants about race and ties to the "Great Replacement." Here's what you need to know about this particular conspiracy theory.

What is the "Great Replacement"?

In short, the "Great Replacement" is a conspiracy theory that states that non-white individuals are being brought into the United States and other Western countries to "replace" white voters to achieve a political agenda. It is often touted by anti-immigration groups, white supremacists and others, according to the National Immigration Forum.

White supremacists argue that the influx of immigrants, people of color more specifically, will lead to the extinction of the white race.

The "Great Replacement" theory is sometimes seen in other ways such as claims of voter replacement and immigrants invading America, the National Immigration Forum said. The first claim assumes that immigrants and non-white people will vote a certain way, ultimately drowning out the votes of white Americans.

Adolphus Belk Jr., professor of political science and African American studies at Winthrop University, said white nationalist movements arise when people of color are seen as a threat in the political and economic realms.

Belk said white nationalists are worried that, "whites will no longer be a majority of the general population, but a plurality, and see that as a threat to their own well-being and the well-being of the nation."

Where does this theory come from?

The "Great Replacement" theory has roots in French nationalism books dating back to the early 1900s, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). However, the theory's more contemporary use is attributed to Renaud Camus, a French writer who wrote "Le Grand Remplacement" (which translates to "The Great Replacement") in 2011.

Much more at link:

The Right Wants You to Stop Talking About the Buffalo Shooter's Ideology

On Saturday, an 18-year-old man named Payton Gendron killed 10 people in a TOPS supermarket in Buffalo.

Of the 13 people Gendron shot, 11 were Black—in his livestream of the shooting, he’s heard saying “sorry” to a white man he shoots. The other victims seem to have been hardly even spared a thought.

Gendron’s motivations for the shooting were made clear in a 180-page manifesto he published online. The far-right document, which included multiple anti-Semitic references and made clear he was expressly targeting the store and area because of the area’s large Black population, left little to the imagination.

The manifesto included a nearly word-for-word repeat of Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s interpretation of the racist Great Replacement narrative, a far-right conspiracy theory that claims Democrats and/or Jews are trying to dilute the white American electorate by importing immigrants of color.
=========================================
Other media figures also leapt at the opportunity to play defense, whining about fairness and respect for the dead. Commentator Kmele Foster complained that, “When a lunatic goes on a deadly rampage, maybe wait 24-48 hrs before co-opting the tragedy to malice your political enemies.” Daily Wire writer Megan Basham pretended to take the high road, calling on critics “not to pit racial groups against one another,” a principle that, if applied, would erase the majority of her boss Ben Shapiro’s output. And Breitbart’s Joel Pollack whimpered that looking into the shooter’s ideological ties to other conservatives was a “predictable attempt to exploit the shooting to censor debate and opposition”—even as he reiterated his support for the Great Replacement conspiracy.

Wailing about persecution and unfairness is the right’s go-to move whenever they’re forced to actually answer for the reality of their belief system, and the fallout from Saturday’s shooting is no different. The more noise they make to distract you, the more worried they are that people are paying attention to what they actually say.

Violent Far-Right Extremism Is Fueling Mass Shootings in America

The repugnant massacre in Buffalo also highlights the urgent need for greater attention on shooter warning signs.

Gendron had a history of disturbing behavior, according to law enforcement authorities, including a threat he made in June 2021 to commit a suicidal school shooting. Under New York law, he was taken into custody by state police and given a psychiatric evaluation. The results are not publicly known, but Gendron was released within two days, officials said. After he graduated high school, according to the account that authorities say he posted, he spent months becoming radicalized online and preparing for his attack. He acquired weapons and tactical gear and surveilled his target, a common warning behavior among mass shooters.

As I’ve reported in previous investigations, violent far-right extremism surged in the United States during Donald Trump’s presidency and has grown deadlier since converging with the mass shootings epidemic. The violence has included lethal rampages targeting Latinos at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, and Jews at synagogues in San Diego and Pittsburgh. Political polarization that continued to deepen after the January 6 insurrection, combined with record gun sales during the pandemic, raised further concerns among experts.

Political extremism fueling grievances and despair in troubled people has become a more urgent focus in recent years for leaders in the emerging field of behavioral threat assessment, the subject of my new book, Trigger Points: Inside the Mission to Stop Mass Shootings in America. The ways in which Trump and his political allies demonized “enemies” were nothing new, but their brazen tactics catalyzed a resurgence of ideological hate and a rise in the threat from domestic terrorism. This stark shift in mainstream American politics has profound consequences, experts in the field told me:

Threat assessment leaders typically are stoic in the face of tumultuous current affairs, but after an intense 2020 election year battered by a politicized pandemic, several top experts I spoke with described feeling deeply unsettled by the way dehumanization and themes of existential social war had become normalized in American politics. As one of them put it, “History shows how bad it can get when you really start convincing people that differences of opinion or political affiliation are coming from ‘enemies’ to be feared and despised because they’re threatening to destroy your way of life.”

Political demonization and unhinged conspiracy theories [have been] percolating in fringe subcultures, with social media forming an ever more interconnected pathway to radicalization, according to forensic psychiatrist Philip Saragoza, a threat assessment practitioner with expertise on incels and other extremist groups. “One thing we emphasize in trainings is how cross-linked these categories have all become,” he told me, describing the growing pattern. “You have these disaffected young males who live online, and they’ll wade into a community on 4Chan or 8Chan, and in one thread they’ll find all kinds of misogynistic content from manosphere groups that’s also wrapped up with MAGA movement politics, QAnon, or ‘great replacement’ and other racist conspiracy theories. It’s a real hive of choices, almost like à la carte extremism.”

I love way people try to shift the conversation. The other crimes you are referring too, tend to be gang related and turf wars and they shoot each other. Admittedly there are a couple of shootings that have resulted in innocent bystanders being killed or hurt. They don't go out and kill people just for the color of their skin or beliefs. The people who fear blacks and/or hispanics shooting others are others like them and unless you live in an area like that whites really have nothing to worry about

White Supremacists literally HUNT down and kill others for no reason other than the color of their skin or their religion. Some people tend to justify these shootings by claiming the shooter has a mental illness. Yea he does a RACIST mental illness. Your argument is just another senseless whataboutism. Just bein' real
Wait...did you REALLY just say that you love how people try to "shift the conversation"?

The conversation in the OP LITERALLY demonstrated how the mindless leftist rhetoric claiming mass shootings are about 'white supremacy' is a provable, demonstrable lie...and then leftists here set about...to make the whole topic be about white supremacy and terrorism and LITERALLY having ****-all to do with the leftist touted figure of 636 mass shootings in 2021.

Where there are 227 of those reports 636 mass shootings with known perpetrators,
Perpetrators by race :
Black 192 (74%)
White 31 (12%)
Latino 31 (12%)
Asian 4 (2%)

NOT white supremacists. NOT the lefts favorite baba yaga.

And By the way...is it REALLY your standard...counting the number of whites that target blacks due to the color of thier skin? I mean...dont get me wrong...thats reprehensible and I think they should all be dropped in a hole...but do you hold the same standard for blacks that attack Asians due to their race? Blacks that attack whites for their race? Blacks that attack Latinos for their race?

NY Times David Leonhardt: Most Extremist Violence Comes From the Right

‘Numbers don’t lie’

Over the past decade, the Anti-Defamation League has counted about 450 U.S. murders committed by political extremists.

Of these 450 killings, right-wing extremists committed about 75 percent. Islamic extremists were responsible for about 20 percent, and left-wing extremists were responsible for 4 percent.

Nearly half of the murders were specifically tied to white supremacists:

Source: Anti-Defamation League
As this data shows, the American political right has a violence problem that has no equivalent on the left. And the 10 victims in Buffalo this past weekend are now part of this toll. “Right-wing extremist violence is our biggest threat,” Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the ADL, has written. “The numbers don’t lie.”

The pattern extends to violence less severe than murder, like the Jan. 6 attack on Congress. It also extends to the language from some Republican politicians — including Donald Trump — and conservative media figures that treats violence as a legitimate form of political expression. A much larger number of Republican officials do not use this language but also do not denounce it or punish politicians who do use it; Kevin McCarthy, the top House Republican, is a leading example.

Wait...did you REALLY just say that you love how people try to "shift the conversation"?

The conversation in the OP LITERALLY demonstrated how the mindless leftist rhetoric claiming mass shootings are about 'white supremacy' is a provable, demonstrable lie...and then leftists here set about...to make the whole topic be about white supremacy and terrorism and LITERALLY having ****-all to do with the leftist touted figure of 636 mass shootings in 2021.

Where there are 227 of those reports 636 mass shootings with known perpetrators,
Perpetrators by race :
Black 192 (74%)
White 31 (12%)
Latino 31 (12%)
Asian 4 (2%)

NOT white supremacists. NOT the lefts favorite baba yaga.

And By the way...is it REALLY your standard...counting the number of whites that target blacks due to the color of thier skin? I mean...dont get me wrong...thats reprehensible and I think they should all be dropped in a hole...but do you hold the same standard for blacks that attack Asians due to their race? Blacks that attack whites for their race? Blacks that attack Latinos for their race?
First of all the OP just showed a bunch of pics that I have no idea what it represented.

The title of the thread is "The link between White Supremacy and Mass Shootings" and that is what addressed.

I also have no idea where you got your numbers from as you provided no supporting link.

This is an Asian American publication. Just for the record I am half Filipino. When certain media report info they focus on black crime like Faux news and other conservative outlets which make sure they depict specific crimes for their target audience

New report analyzes race of perpetrators in anti-Asian attacks

A new report out analyzing the race of suspects in anti-Asian attacks found in 184 incidents analyzed, news articles identified 89% of the suspects as White.

The report relied on information culled from news accounts. The authors from the University of Michigan’s Viral Hate Project reviewed 4,337 stories connected to 1,023 unique incidents.

Those stories identified the race of the suspects in just 18 percent of the incidents. In those incidents, the stories identified 165 of the offenders as White and 10 as Black.

“The information that we have, while limited and imperfect, does not support the common claim that Black hostility is driving the current epidemic of anti-Asian racism and violence,” the authors wrote.

Melissa Borja, Ph.D. and Jacob Gibson, who wrote the report, acknowledged more work needs to be done on this topic to uncover trends in anti-Asian harassment and practices in the news media’s coverage of race.

Does the number really even matter. At one time I really thought we just had to worry about Islamic terrorists now we have our own home grown terrorists who have actually killed more Americans than the Islamc terrorists in the USA since 2001
If the number doesn't matter, and "the number" is "deaths of Black people", what else are you using to measure how big the issue is?

If the number doesn't matter, and "the number" is "deaths of Black people", what else are you using to measure how big the issue is?
I have p;osted enouogh info to support my claims. Gotta run. Have a nice day !! :)

I have p;osted enouogh info to support my claims. Gotta run. Have a nice day !! :)
First of all the OP just showed a bunch of pics that I have no idea what it represented.

The title of the thread is "The link between White Supremacy and Mass Shootings" and that is what addressed.

I also have no idea where you got your numbers from as you provided no supporting link.

This is an Asian American publication. Just for the record I am half Filipino. When certain media report info they focus on black crime like Faux news and other conservative outlets which make sure they depict specific crimes for their target audience

A new report out analyzing the race of suspects in anti-Asian attacks found in 184 incidents analyzed, news articles identified 89% of the suspects as White.

The report relied on information culled from news accounts. The authors from the University of Michigan’s Viral Hate Project reviewed 4,337 stories connected to 1,023 unique incidents.

Those stories identified the race of the suspects in just 18 percent of the incidents. In those incidents, the stories identified 165 of the offenders as White and 10 as Black.

“The information that we have, while limited and imperfect, does not support the common claim that Black hostility is driving the current epidemic of anti-Asian racism and violence,” the authors wrote.

Melissa Borja, Ph.D. and Jacob Gibson, who wrote the report, acknowledged more work needs to be done on this topic to uncover trends in anti-Asian harassment and practices in the news media’s coverage of race.

A study that identifies just 18% of the suspects doesn't have enough data to make any claims.

Here's what the FBI found for 2019, the latest year for full info.

1652821097894.png

And we were vigilant. But since "it isn't the biggest problem by far," I guess vigilance is no longer necessary. Imagine if these shooters were Muslim.
Which shooters? In the last few weeks there have been 6 mass shootings. 1 Muslim influenced Asian, 1 Asian man, 1 black man in New York city, 10 "unidentified suspects" arrested in Milwaukee on 14 May, another "unidentified suspect" arrested in Milwaukee later that night after shooting 3 people also in Milwaukee, and of course 1 white shooter in Buffalo.

And the OP then posted a picture of all the mass shooters arrested in 2021 to demonstrate that the leftist bullshit about mass shooters being a problem of "white supremacy" is a lie. And you...like the other leftists...ignored the FACT that 80% of the mass shooters were black males and said "uh huh? See? White Supremacy. Thats right George....white supremacy...uh huh. Its true. No...really....."

This is a burden of proof reversal. Google is your friend and it still has nothig to do with White Supremacist murders and the reason as outlined in my post not to mention most crimes comitted by blacks are on other blacks;

You have a point - I can't argue that a leaky faucet on the Titanic (or perhaps a framed picture on the wall that's off kilter) represent problems that can be (and should be) fixed on the Titanic.

In that same vein, whites killing Blacks are a problem that need to be fixed, so we are in agreement there.

The thread claimed there is no link between White Supremacy and mass shootings. Clearly there is. I demonstrated that there is. Not my problem that White Supremacists mass shootings tend to be terror attacks as well.

I'm pro gun.
Of course you're pro gun. Pro gun, with a BUT. Golly gee whiz does that mean you're a White Supremacists?

So the domestic terrorist risk is actually quite small, with fewer victims over the last fifteen years than lightning strikes (434), bathtubs (6,742) or falling out of bed (12,780). To be frank, domestic terrorism is a very, very small risk to Americans, given that 4,565 died from choking on their own vomit in the last 15 years.
Falling out of bed how funny. Yesterday morning about 4:00 AM my ass started sliding off the port side and I'm all assholes and elbows for the save, but it still felt like I stuck my finger in a light socket.

NY Times David Leonhardt: Most Extremist Violence Comes From the Right

‘Numbers don’t lie’

Over the past decade, the Anti-Defamation League has counted about 450 U.S. murders committed by political extremists.

Of these 450 killings, right-wing extremists committed about 75 percent. Islamic extremists were responsible for about 20 percent, and left-wing extremists were responsible for 4 percent.

Nearly half of the murders were specifically tied to white supremacists:

Source: Anti-Defamation League
As this data shows, the American political right has a violence problem that has no equivalent on the left. And the 10 victims in Buffalo this past weekend are now part of this toll. “Right-wing extremist violence is our biggest threat,” Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the ADL, has written. “The numbers don’t lie.”

The pattern extends to violence less severe than murder, like the Jan. 6 attack on Congress. It also extends to the language from some Republican politicians — including Donald Trump — and conservative media figures that treats violence as a legitimate form of political expression. A much larger number of Republican officials do not use this language but also do not denounce it or punish politicians who do use it; Kevin McCarthy, the top House Republican, is a leading example.

the left ignores lots of black on white crime as being racially motivated in order to shift the debate. the fact is, white "extremism" has resulted in a minuscule number of murders vs blacks killing blacks or blacks killing whites. the numbers don't lie. The ADL ignores black on black crime and black on white crime

the left ignores lots of black on white crime as being racially motivated in order to shift the debate. the fact is, white "extremism" has resulted in a minuscule number of murders vs blacks killing blacks or blacks killing whites. the numbers don't lie. The ADL ignores black on black crime and black on white crime
Here we go with the whaboutisms. Most black crime is on other blacks, is usually gang related and not random. You have to consider reasons also. They don't go around killing people simply because of the color of their skin.

If you don't live in a predominantly black neighborhood, whites really have nothing to worry about

And there is no relationship to whites supporting gun confiscation either...except when it came to confiscating guns from black people.

1990 Virginia-Poor citizens singled out for gun ban in Virginia. U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia upheld a ban imposed by the Richmond Housing Authority on the possession of all firearms, whether operable or not, in public housing projects.

1988 Illinois- Poor citizens singled out for gun ban in Illinois. Starting in late 1988, the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) and the Chicago Police Dept. (CPD) enacted and enforced an official policy, Operation Clean Sweep, which applied to all housing units owned and operated by the CHA.

1988 Maryland- Fifth "Saturday Night Special" economic handgun ban passes. Ban on "Saturday Night Specials," i.e. inexpensive handguns, passes.

1968 United States- Gun Control Act of 1968 passed. Avowed anti-gun journalist Robert Sherrill frankly admitted that the Gun Control Act of 1968 was "passed not to control guns but to control Blacks."

1941 Florida- Judge admits gun law passed to disarm black laborers. In concurring opinion narrowly construing a Florida gun control law passed in 1893, Justice Buford stated the 1893 law "was passed when there was a great influx of negro laborers in this State....The same condition existed when the Act was amended in 1901 and the Act was passed for the purpose of disarming the negro laborers....The statute was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied...". Watson v. Stone, 148 Fla. 516, 524, 4 So.2d 700, 703 (1941) (GMU CR LJ, p. 69)
1988 mayor of Chicago---Eugene Sawyer. He was a black Democrat.

Hint: public housing bans aren't always about race and its disingenuous to try to make it such.

1988 mayor of Chicago---Eugene Sawyer. He was a black Democrat.

Hint: public housing bans aren't always about race and its disingenuous to try to make it such.
And how many white people were living in Chicago public housing impacted? Are you saying that public housing is an equal opportunity landlord?

"The decrepit housing conditions in the Black Belt, the attempt to integrate Trumbull Park, the experience of the Howard family, the dismissal of Elizabeth Wood, and the ensuing collapse of the CHA as a vehicle for social justice were all parts of a reaction to Chicago’s expanding African American population. Chicago’s black population from 1940 to 1960, increased from 14 percent to 33 percent.62 By 1960, over 800,000 African Americans lived in Chicago. The Windy City had a higher African American population than Mississippi and public housing contained more black residents than Selma, Alabama.63 Confined to dense and decaying neighborhoods, African Americans looked to the Chicago Housing Authority to improve their situation."

Back
Top Bottom