• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Liberation of Mitt Romney

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've spent the past several months in an ongoing conversation with Romney as he's navigated a Washington that grows more hostile by the day. Before arriving in the Senate, Romney nurtured a pleasant delusion that he could somehow avoid being defined by his relationship with Trump. He had his own policy agenda to advance, his own vision for the future of the Republican Party. He would use his platform to take a stand against Trumpism, while largely ignoring Trump himself. When I would speak with his friends and allies in Utah during last year's campaign, there was often a certain dilettantish quality in the future Senator Romney they envisioned - a venerable elder statesman dabbling in legislation the way a retiree takes up tennis.

Instead, Romney has emerged as an outspoken dissident in Trump's Republican Party. In just the past few weeks, he has denounced the president's attempts to solicit dirt on political rivals from foreign governments as "wrong and appalling"; suggested that his fellow Republicans are looking the other way out of a desire for power; and condemned Trump's troop withdrawal in Syria as a "bloodstain on the annals of American history."

Those are Romney's opinions based on inaccuracies and other Romney opinions.
He never liked Trump - we all know that.

Trump has responded with a wrathful procession of personal attacks - deriding Romney as a"pompous ass" taunting him over his failed presidential bid in 2012, and tweeting a cartoonish video that tags the senator as a "Democrat secret asset."

Leaving aside Romney's own personal attack on "his fellow Republicans" ... no one should deny the times Trump is right - and that was one of them.

Mitt Romney in the Middle of the Impeachment Fight - The Atlantic

Anyone who considers Mitt Romney, of all people, to be a "venerable elder statesman" is not worth listening to.

Some people want to be loved by the wrong people too much and so they say things to encourage it. Romney's one of them.

Some people want to be loved by the wrong people too much and so they say things to encourage it. Romney's one of them.

Romney's life goal is to get a nice obituary in the New York Times, talking about how "bipartisan" he was. There are still many people like him in the GOP, though thankfully not as many as before.

Romney's life goal is to get a nice obituary in the New York Times, talking about how "bipartisan" he was. There are still many people like him in the GOP, though thankfully not as many as before.

You say that like being partisan is a good thing.

Anyone who considers Mitt Romney, of all people, to be a "venerable elder statesman" is not worth listening to.

Romney couldn’t stand up to Candy Crowley at CNN, what’s he going to do when he meets the head Commie, XI?

You say that like being partisan is a good thing.

Partisan is what's wrong with the country.
To many for party and don't care who the representative is or what they do.

We need more people who are for country and put party down the list.

Romney told it like it is so now he's a RINO. That's how cults react.

It's better than the alternative.

What do you see as the only alternative to being partisan? See, 'unbiased' is an alternative to being partisan.
Maybe we need to agree on definitions. Being partisan means being prejudiced in favour of an ideology or political party, right?

What do you see as the only alternative to being partisan? See, 'unbiased' is an alternative to being partisan.
Maybe we need to agree on definitions. Being partisan means being prejudiced in favour of an ideology or political party, right?

The alternative to partisanship is surrender.

It's true that ordinary people are better off not being passionately attached to political parties, but if the people who are actually in those parties don't care, they won't accomplish their stated goals.

It's true that ordinary people are better off not being passionately attached to political parties, but if the people who are actually in those parties don't care, they won't accomplish their stated goals.

If that's the case then you're asking for this country become a banana republic where political parties resort to all sorts of nonsense to have dominance in government. The partisanship we're witnessing now is behind the stagnation in Congress and makes governance impossible. If the situation worsens then you end up with violence we've seen in many of the countries some mock for not being able to govern themselves.

:lol: :applaud

Lately Romney has Hit Bottom:
Romney then suggested that President Trump’s electoral coalition of working-class Americans will not be replicable in the long run.
“We have to get young people and Hispanics and African Americans to vote Republican,” Romney said.
However, despite Romney’s claim, President Trump outperformed Romney amongst Hispanics and black Americans.

I particularly love this statement by Romney I just heard today “I don’t look at myself as being a historical figure,”
###############################

Knowing what we now know about Mitt Romney, and his true character, and his odious running-mate, Paul Ryan
it’s hard not to feel like we dodged an incredible bullet when they failed to win in 2012.

Benedict Arnold did far, far more for this country before he turned traitor than Mittens!
Have you ever seen a liberal media camera that Mittens didn't jump in front of?
Good old reliable Mittins has found his way to the wrong side of yet another issue.

All those Denocrat attacks on the character of Mitt Romney when he was running for President have turned out to be true.
He really is a miserable wretch who brings nothing to the Senate.

Let’s buy Mittens for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.
If Mr. Socialized Medicine Mitt is a Republican then I'm a Argentinian astronaut.

Romney then suggested that President Trump’s electoral coalition of working-class Americans will not be replicable in the long run.
“We have to get young people and Hispanics and African Americans to vote Republican,” Romney said.
However, despite Romney’s claim, President Trump outperformed Romney amongst Hispanics and black Americans.

I particularly love this statement by Romney I just heard today “I don’t look at myself as being a historical figure,”

Knowing what we now know about Mitt Romney, and his true character, and his odious running-mate, Paul Ryan
it’s hard not to feel like we dodged an incredible bullet when they failed to win in 2012.

Benedict Arnold did far, far more for this country before he turned traitor than Mittens!
Good old reliable Mittins has found his way to the wrong side of yet another issue.

All those Denocrat attacks on the character of Mitt Romney when he was running for President have turned out to be true.

Let’s buy Mittens for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.
If Mr. Socialized Medicine Mitt is a Republican then I'm a Argentinian astronaut.

Wanna read something funny? From today by Kurt Schlichter. It echos what's been said here and it's hilarious.
SOME EXAMPLES:
- "His perpetual groveling for approval – including, hilariously, from Donald Trump himself who just broke him right in front of our eyes over the Secretary of State gig – is so shameful and cringe-iliciously embarrassing that it obscures the vital role this shiny doofus can play for conservatism."
- "That’s especially true when out of Mitt’s 47 spawn, we will never see his sons Tagg, Tugg, Zippy, Miff, Mork, Dingus, Tugg II, or Spork rucking-up to head over to Northern Syria to fight Turkey over this esoteric border dispute."
- "Beyond his class solidarity, Mitt’s loyalty is to Mitt and the glory that he believes should come from his blazing Mittness. "

Snit Romney

Obama appreciated your support in 2012 when you voted for him.

What are you feelings about democratic forms of government in general?

Partisan is what's wrong with the country.
To many for party and don't care who the representative is or what they do.

We need more people who are for country and put party down the list.

My view exactly. This polarization and hyper partisanship of those of both parties in Washington will be this countries downfall if we're not careful. It has definitely become for the good of the party over the good of the country, loyalty to party or a president instead of the nation. At least in my opinion which I have come to hold both major parties in great disdain.

I do think this situation of polarization and ultra high super partisanship among our elected leaders is one of the main reason both parties are shrinking. Independents or what I like to call swing voters has risen from 30% of the electorate back in 2006 up to 40% plus today.

According to Gallup 34% of all Americans view government as the number one problem facing this nation. This includes Government, poor leadership and politicians in general. "Average mentions of government have been on the rise since 2017, coinciding with an increasingly polarized political climate. This year, the lowest percentage of Americans naming government as the chief problem has been 22% in August."

Mentions of Government as Top U.S. Problem Near Record High

Never voted Democrat in my life, never intend to. If you are really interested I didn't vote in 2004,2008 or 2012!

So you would have voted for Obama instead of "Mr. Socialized Medicine Mittens".

So you would have voted for Obama instead of "Mr. Socialized Medicine Mittens".

I didn't bat an eye not voting in 2012. I would never have voted for either. i may be wrong but I'm getting the impression that you are a fan of good ole' Mittens.

Romney planning on primary challenge & offering that 30 republicans would vote for impeachment if it were a secret
vote. Impossible but let's assume it's possible & Trump has to leave office.

Then the Republican primary would be between Weld, Walsh, Mark Sanford & now Romney for sure not a 'battle of titans'
Pence would take a cushy job as a K-street operative if Trump was removed from office & wouldn't be part of the clown show.
The outcome for a never trumper may not be what you’ve hoped for. Of the around 60 million Trump 2016
voters 30 million are dye in the wool Trump supporters
& they would either 1) stay away from the poles like myself or 2) write in Trump or 3) in a protest vote would vote 3rd party or
Democrat. Democrats would get all 540 electoral votes in the largest landslide in history far far bigger than Nixon's historic
18 million vote plurality in 1972.

It will never happen. But I can see why Democrats fantasize & dream that there is a possibly of such a scenario!

I didn't bat an eye not voting in 2012. I would never have voted for either. i may be wrong but I'm getting the impression that you are a fan of good ole' Mittens.

Romney planning on primary challenge & offering that 30 republicans would vote for impeachment if it were a secret
vote. Impossible but let's assume it's possible & Trump has to leave office.

Then the Republican primary would be between Weld, Walsh, Mark Sanford & now Romney for sure not a 'battle of titans'
Pence would take a cushy job as a K-street operative if Trump was removed from office & wouldn't be part of the clown show.
The outcome for a never trumper may not be what you’ve hoped for. Of the around 60 million Trump 2016
voters 30 million are dye in the wool Trump supporters
& they would either 1) stay away from the poles like myself or 2) write in Trump or 3) in a protest vote would vote 3rd party or
Democrat. Democrats would get all 540 electoral votes in the largest landslide in history far far bigger than Nixon's historic
18 million vote plurality in 1972.

It will never happen. But I can see why Democrats fantasize & dream that there is a possibly of such a scenario!

My name isn't Donald Trump. I don't childishly and ignorant refer to adults by high school nicknames. The man's name is Senator Romney, not "Mittens". Save that stupid crap for the next Trump Fan Club meeting.

My name isn't Donald Trump. I don't childishly and ignorant refer to adults by high school nicknames. The man's name is Senator Romney, not "Mittens". Save that stupid crap for the next Trump Fan Club meeting.

Guess I was wrong referring to Romney as Mittens, I should have used his alias Pierre Delecto. What a tool.

More bad news for Pierre Delecto.
Pierre's approval rating in his adopted state of Utah is underwater.

Only 46% of Utah voters approve of Mitt Romney. 51% disapprove.
ONE MIGHT THINK Something is very wrong with 46% of the people in Utah! But REALIZE Harry Reid a Mormon in good
standing to this day. Therein lies the answer ;"he's one of us”

Guess I was wrong referring to Romney as Mittens, I should have used his alias Pierre Delecto. What a tool.

More bad news for Pierre Delecto.
Pierre's approval rating in his adopted state of Utah is underwater.

Only 46% of Utah voters approve of Mitt Romney. 51% disapprove.
ONE MIGHT THINK Something is very wrong with 46% of the people in Utah! But REALIZE Harry Reid a Mormon in good
standing to this day. Therein lies the answer ;"he's one of us”

So you're just trolling. Got it.

I hope you didn't skip Gym or Home Economics to post here today.

So you're just trolling. Got it.

I hope you didn't skip Gym or Home Economics to post here today.

So you reacted negatively to referring to Romney as "Mittens'. Romney refers to himself
as "Pierre Delecto' in a clandestine manner typical of his fraudulent self and you're still hoping'
angry. You're hard to please, easy to toy with.

I trust the intentions of a a Palestinian on a motorcycle or a a rattlesnake with a pet me sign more than I
would the objectives of Romney who famously pandered to some elements of the Republican Party to win
the 2012 nomination offering that he was 'severely conservative'

Back
Top Bottom