• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The legal reckoning awaiting Donald Trump if he loses the election

Were you only referring to criminal charges? You should have said so. I never said Trump would go to jail. He's too rich for that. He'll just have to pay up. Hopefully, he'll have to pay up in the civil cases too.
I was referring to the gloom an doom predicted by the OP and many of the left howling here. The appetite for all of that goes away when he's out of office.

Actually I don't think we'll see a well-deserved reckoning from the Biden DOJ. But the DAs who have got their eye on financial crimes in places like NYC are not likely to let a corrupt businessman off the hook just because he can do no harm as president anymore. The presidency is shielding him from necessary prosecution as a private citizen, quite apart from all the shenanigans and self-dealing he's committed in office.
And why didn't they do that before he was in office?

It's quite obvious that the case in NYC and the civil cases are politically motivated Certainly the PR actions around them are.

So, is it your position that, assuming that there is a case to be made where there is a reasonable likelihood of conviction, Mr. Trump should NOT be indicted (and, if indicted, tried [and, if convicted at trial, sentenced {and, if given a sentence that includes a term of incarceration, sent to jail <and, if the crime for which he was convicted constitutes a felony, have his right to vote in American national elections terminated>}]}?

If so, why?
You are fighting a straw man there. I didn't say that. :)

I think the chances that there is evidence of a crime with reasonable likelihood of conviction are small - certainly not one that will send him to jail. I also think much of this is politically motivated, and that once the political motivation is gone, there won't be much of an appetite to keep pushing these cases.

No wonder he said he'd leave the country if he loses. He'll have to go somewhere that won't extradite. Hope he likes the weather in Moscow.

Nah, Moscow is probably too cold for Trump, and too risky (that Putin would turn against him). He'd probably go for Brazil, unless changed their non-extradition status.

I don't think Putin will welcome him if he loses. Besides, he's getting too old for the Russian climate. The Bahamas are closer and he's probably got money stashed there anyway.

I call dibs on Brazil. :D

The only country we Americans can't extradite him from is Russia.

Hmmm. Why was he sucking up to Putin again?

Yes, that will evaporate too. The accountants will pour over records and argue, and eventually settle on a negotiated amount with a penalty. No one is going to jail.

Not sure what Mary Trump or "the women" have to do with 'criminal charges', but those civil cases will also fade away. Once he's no longer president, they have no leverage.
You are kidding yourself if that's what you believe. Trump is going to be hit with numerous law suits once out of office.

It's pretty silly, actually. The motivation for all of this disappears when he's out of office, and these threats will evaporate.

Or not. That would be decided by state and/or Federal prosecutors, and I believe Trump is guilty of many criminal actions. I'm sure NY prosecutors have a long list of them by now. As one person said not long ago, "the White House is his (Trump's) safe house." So true.

It isn’t silly. And the motivations don’t disappear. They are real crimes. Crimes committed on office, and crimes committed in business. Whether they will be prosecuted or not remains to be seen...

Exactly, by state and/or federal prosecutors. They'll be the ones deciding whether or not to prosecute, once Trump is no longer a sitting president.

I was referring to the gloom an doom predicted by the OP and many of the left howling here. The appetite for all of that goes away when he's out of office.

You. Wish. But federal and state prosecutors may have different ideas.

I don't think Putin will welcome him if he loses. Besides, he's getting too old for the Russian climate. The Bahamas are closer and he's probably got money stashed there anyway.

Just remember this. He has to be very careful if he leaves the US, after he's out office.

The Iranians have not forgotten the assassination of Qasem Soliemani, nor will they forget.

I notice that most people, trump included seem to already have.

Aren't there cases on the Manhattan DA's desk right now?

Your *BN* thread is an op-ed and nothing more. Trying to predict the future isn't "breaking news".

You are kidding yourself if that's what you believe. Trump is going to be hit with numerous law suits once out of office.
Really? Why are they waiting? What for?

Or not. That would be decided by state and/or Federal prosecutors, and I believe Trump is guilty of many criminal actions. I'm sure NY prosecutors have a long list of them by now. As one person said not long ago, "the White House is his (Trump's) safe house." So true.
Really? He just had a massive investigation that didn't find any. But what is it that you see?

Your *BN* thread is an op-ed and nothing more. Trying to predict the future isn't "breaking news".

Fair enough, it's been moved for that reason. But that doesn't answer the question: doesn't the DA already have pending cases against Trump that have nothing to do with his presidency?

Nah, Moscow is probably too cold for Trump, and too risky (that Putin would turn against him). He'd probably go for Brazil, unless changed their non-extradition status.

the hookers seem less to his taste there

And why didn't they do that before he was in office?

It's quite obvious that the case in NYC and the civil cases are politically motivated Certainly the PR actions around them are.

Yes there's surely an element of political motivation. It's also fairly obvious that until he gained the public spotlight there was a lot less scrutiny of his finances. He brought that attention on himself by boasting of avoiding taxes. Now that the ball is rolling they can't just wrap it up if they find he's been a tax fraud, just because he's not as 'important' as he was yesterday; anymore than they would have just let his 'charity' off the hook for the graft.

His successor can look away in the interests of burying the hatchet, but local prosecutors with career ambitions don't need to play so nice. And look, if they found he's been committing fraud, why should they let him skate?

Yes there's surely an element of political motivation. It's also fairly obvious that until he gained the public spotlight there was a lot less scrutiny of his finances. He brought that attention on himself by boasting of avoiding taxes. Now that the ball is rolling they can't just wrap it up if they find he's been a tax fraud, just because he's not as 'important' as he was yesterday; anymore than they would have just let his 'charity' off the hook for the graft.

His successor can look away in the interests of burying the hatchet, but local prosecutors with career ambitions don't need to play so nice. And look, if they found he's been committing fraud, why should they let him skate?
Tax avoidance is legal - every business seeks to pay the least amount they have to. That doesn't mean he committed fraud. In fact, his high profile probably makes that less likely - he's got an army of accountants and lawyers to help him toe the line. What they are likely to get into is a mess of unspecific definitions and accounting techniques - along with a rehash of his continuous audits where most of those issues would have been settled.

This is all political, and will fade. Local prosecutors are going to find more productive things to do once the political motivation is gone.

It's pretty silly, actually. The motivation for all of this disappears when he's out of office, and these threats will evaporate.
He cannot be prosecuted for these charges when he is in office, but come the 21st of January 2021 these charges all become relevant and he will be indicted for his business fraud and tax evasion.

he would have to sell all of his assets they are worth billions ... and then their is uproar in Scotland that he wants to open his 3rd golf course in Scotland .... being honest i can't see it being approved
Those assets are all mortgaged and are often underwater. He likely has more debt than assets.

You don't deserve to know.
We do deserve to know who is he is beholden to for the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars because that is a security threat and emollient crime. This is why former presidents disinvested themselves when they took office.

Back
Top Bottom