• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Left's Betrayal of Liberalism In the Name of Islam

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
For starters, a few words about premises and some necessary background. Those who deploy the “stupid term” (see Christopher Hitchens) “Islamophobia” to silence critics of the faith hold, in essence, that Muslims deserve to be approached as a race apart, and not as equals, not as individual adults capable of rational choice, but as lifelong members of an immutable, sacrosanct community, whose (often highly illiberal) views must not be questioned, whose traditions (including the veiling of women) must not be challenged, whose scripturally inspired violence must be explained away as the inevitable outcome of Western interventionism in the Middle East or racism and “marginalization” in Western countries.

Fail to exhibit due respect for Islam — not Muslims as people, Islam — and you risk being excoriated, by certain progressives, as an “Islamophobe,” as a fomenter of hatred for an underprivileged minority, as an abettor of Donald Trump and his bigoted policy proposals, and, most illogically, as a racist.

Free Speech and Islam — The Left Betrays the Most Vulnerable | Quillette

The title and article speak for themselves. In my opinion, the Left's blind spot for Islamic behaviors which would never be tolerated were they Christian is a black eye on Liberal ideology. In this instance, the Right has a better grip on reality than the Leftists.

The left will trade anti-americanism for misogyny, mistreatment of gays and women and intolerance of other religions any day of the week. Its an even exchange for them.

The title and article speak for themselves. In my opinion, the Left's blind spot for Islamic behaviors which would never be tolerated were they Christian is a black eye on Liberal ideology. In this instance, the Right has a better grip on reality than the Leftists.

At the same time, where does criticism cross the line?

In my opinion, the Left's blind spot for Islamic behaviors which would never be tolerated were they Christian is a black eye on Liberal ideology. In this instance, the Right has a better grip on reality than the Leftists.
Leftists hate America, Christians, and anything about America and it's founding. Islam and leftists make natural allies and given that leftists kiss muslim a$$, there's no denying they deeply desire to see America destroyed.

At the same time, where does criticism cross the line?

Why should there be a "line"? We are talking about a religion, something people follow of their own free will, which mistreats women, gays, and those trying to practice other religions. IMO, there is no "line" when denouncing such barbarism.

Is there a line when denouncing the KKK?

Leftists hate America, Christians, and anything about America and it's founding. Islam and leftists make natural allies and given that leftists kiss muslim a$$, there's no denying they deeply desire to see America destroyed.

:roll:

This statement may have more truth to it than many at first would suspect. I found this paragraph, one describing the criticism heaped upon a critic of Islam, to be interesting.

From the article cited in the OP:
...Lean, in the very first graph, presents Nawaz as a turncoat dandy, as “ambling” about an Oxford debating hall “sporting a slick black tuxedo and a gelled coiffure,” urging his audience to “accept the motion [sic] that the American Dream is a noble ethos to which all people should aspire.” Hardly what one should expect, as Lean has it, from a “self-described former ‘radical.’”

We then learn that Nawaz has been “ingratiating himself in [sic] the growing union of neoconservatives and hawkish liberals who believe in Western exceptionalism and the efficacy of power, especially military power, to expand its influence and protect its interests” against the “alleged threat” posed by Islamism. (Alleged?)

There is definitely a sense that America is bad; Islam is good being sold here.

Why should there be a "line"? We are talking about a religion, something people follow of their own free will, which mistreats women, gays, and those trying to practice other religions. IMO, there is no "line" when denouncing such barbarism.

What irks me is a lot of feminists tend to defend Islam, when in the Middle East women have basically little to no rights at all, and there's so much violence committed against them and some are even hanged or stoned to death in the middle of the street. And it's all because of the fact that Islam is basically the law of the land in the ME.

But feminists continue to defend Islam, for some God unknown reason.

Liberal hate boners are reserved for christians and whites. I'd like to see them head over there with some of the more histrionic pro gay marriage types and do a little protesting.

What irks me is a lot of feminists tend to defend Islam, when in the Middle East women have basically little to no rights at all, and there's so much violence committed against them and some are even hanged or stoned to death in the middle of the street. And it's all because of the fact that Islam is basically the law of the land in the ME.

I would offer that in the PC/SJW world, agenda overrules integrity.

Liberal hate boners are reserved for christians and whites. I'd like to see them head over there with some of the more histrionic pro gay marriage types and do a little protesting.
And most of these liberal third-wave feminists complain about their first-world problems, like Lara Croft's tits in video games or the air conditioning is sexist. But on the other side of the world, you have women who are raped, tortured and killed by these barbaric Islamists. But these liberal feminists either don't care, or just choose to ignore that.

Last edited:
Does it ever "cross the line" when it's a religion other than Islam?

Yes, yes it does. But one thing I've noticed is that other religions get the benefit of the doubt, so to speak, while Islam does not.

So by the same reasoning, you'd be ok with people saying the same things about Christianity. After all, many Christians also don't treat gay people well and mistreat women and those trying to practice other religions.

You see what I'm saying?

There's a double standard which many people apply when it comes to Islam.

On the veil, I actually spoke to a woman who gave me a different perspective on it. That the veil removes a lot of the "looks based" conflict between women and judgement by men. The head to toe tent she wasn't a fan of, due to comfort issues, but she liked the veil in concept.

So by the same reasoning, you'd be ok with people saying the same things about Christianity. After all, many Christians also don't treat gay people well and mistreat women and those trying to practice other religions.

You see what I'm saying?

Well there's a difference really. Christians against gays and women usually tend to just simply voice their disagreement, usually in the form of a annoying loud protest while standing on the sidewalk. Islamists however, will have no hesitation in stoning both gays and women to death, at least in the ME.

Add to that, that our media thinks its national news where Bruce Jenner takes a leak and you can see how our priorities and perspective is all screwed up.

And most of these liberal third-wave feminists complain about their first-world problems, like Lara Croft's tits in video games or the air conditioning is sexist. But on the other side of the world, you have women who are raped, tortured and killed by these barbaric Islamists. But these liberal feminists either don't care, or just choose to ignore that.

Last edited:

The best I can come up with to justify this dichotomy is the desire to defend the minority in what they perceive to be our patriarchal, white Christian culture. Ironically, they totally ignore the fact that the Islamic culture is immensely more patriarchal and oppressive than anything we have here at home. But, it is our patriarchy that is their sworn enemy. And, since Islam is the American Patriarchy's enemy...they make perfect allies for the feminists.

I'm reading a book, one of many, which touches upon this strange dissonance. The book is called "Submission." It's fiction, but....not far off the zeitgeist. It describes an alliance between Islam and the Left formed to combat the emerging populsim of the Right Wing in Europe (sound familiar?). Anyway, the results are predictable. And, no, the Left does not win. Islam does. Women are subjugated, and men sell out to join the new power structure. It's a good book.

Last edited:
I think it's completely valid to say that there are multiple passages in the Quran that encourage violence in the name of Allah, but it is lazy to assume that Islam is the only real factor when it comes to terrorism. There are plenty of Muslims that don't support terrorism but still follow their interpretation of the Quran. In my opinion, the left is trying to avoid labeling an entire religious group as terrorists so that they can actually look at the strongest causes of these problems without just demonizing Islam completely.

Lol. Are you serious? We're talking about gays literally being thrown off buildings vs. not baking someone a cake. Where do you get your news? Huffington post?

You see what I'm saying?

It's simple. Leftists hate America. So they will side with those that also hate America. They demonstrated this countless of times and have even admitted that conservatism is a bigger threat than Islamo-fascism. LMAO, can you imagine how messed up leftists are?

You're old enough to remember large breasted Lara Croft?

Btw, I never heard about the air conditioning complaint. lol. How did they say air conditioning is sexist?

Back
Top Bottom