• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Law Is A Joke.

graymatter

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Laws are written by the rich and for the rich. And for some time, what is legal or isn't is decided by the media.

James Madison 2.jpg

Cicero quote.jpg

Also, there is supposed to be a law protecting freedom of speech in this country.
But just about any forum out there from what I have found has found a way around that law.

plato 2.jpg

I have two quick comments (or maybe that should be "too quick" comments :) ) . . .

Laws become complicated as cases move through the court system. For example . . .

"Killing is against the law."
"Killing is against the law, unless it's in self defense."
"Killing is against the law, unless it is in self-defense, and you had no other way to get out of it."

Also, "freedom of speech" only applies to the government--national, state and local. Businesses can regulate speech. But again, as "freedom of speech" goes through the courts, it can get very complicated.

Laws are written by the rich and for the rich. And for some time, what is legal or isn't is decided by the media.
What is your proposed solution?
Also, there is supposed to be a law protecting freedom of speech in this country.
But just about any forum out there from what I have found has found a way around that law.
Bullshit. Forums are a private endeavor.

You have the right to say whatever you like, but you don't have the right to do so in someone else's house.

I have two quick comments (or maybe that should be "too quick" comments :) ) . . .

Laws become complicated as cases move through the court system. For example . . .

"Killing is against the law."
"Killing is against the law, unless it's in self defense."
"Killing is against the law, unless it is in self-defense, and you had no other way to get out of it."

Also, "freedom of speech" only applies to the government--national, state and local. Businesses can regulate speech. But again, as "freedom of speech" goes through the courts, it can get very complicated.

Your killing analogy isn't a very good one. As for freedom of speech goes, if it is bad for the government to restrict, it is bad for anybody else to restrict too. There is nothing complicated about the subject. Either you have it or you don't. Don't worry, I know the stupid argument about yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater. Not doing so is just common sense. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

You have the right to say whatever you like, but you don't have the right to do so in someone else's house.

If freedom of speech was allowed around here I would tell you. Anybody's house where the truth isn't allowed is a house of vermin. Not being vermin, I will say what I will anyplace.

Your killing analogy isn't a very good one. As for freedom of speech goes, if it is bad for the government to restrict, it is bad for anybody else to restrict too. There is nothing complicated about the subject. Either you have it or you don't. Don't worry, I know the stupid argument about yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater. Not doing so is just common sense. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
Well, there is the volcano example.

The volcano is grumbling. The shaman, who doesn’t like you, starts telling everybody the only way to prevent catastrophe is to throw your daughter in.

Now, do you let him exercise his freedom of speech or tell him to shut the **** up?

If freedom of speech was allowed around here I would tell you. Anybody's house where the truth isn't allowed is a house of vermin. Not being vermin, I will say what I will anyplace.
In your opinion

B
But you just said you won’t.

Poor guy. You landed in the internet equivalent of North Korea, and nobody cares.

But, Gray, if you had a business that sold lawnmowers, you wouldn't want an employee telling customers that it would be better to hire a lawn service. Also, if you owned a social media site, you wouldn't want people using it plot the murders of innocent people.

Like I've heard others say, only a government can censor speech--all other occurrences are private matters.

Well said, Hamish.

IT'S THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF MILLENIALIST.

Just putting that out there.

Well, there is the volcano example.

The volcano is grumbling. The shaman, who doesn’t like you, starts telling everybody the only way to prevent catastrophe is to throw your daughter in.

Now, do you let him exercise his freedom of speech or tell him to shut the **** up?

No. I practice my freedom of speech in rebuttal and show him to be a fool.

In your opinion

Speaking the truth or speaking lies. Those are your options. Generally speaking, most people know that truth is better than lies. Therefore, those who speak or promote lies are inferior. Is that opinion or fact. So they can even be viewed as vermin.

Speaking the truth or speaking lies. Those are your options. Generally speaking, most people know that truth is better than lies. Therefore, those who speak or promote lies are inferior. Is that opinion or fact. So they can even be viewed as vermin.
You dont get to define truth

You may have an opinion about what is best....that is all

New member makes new thread and proves he is out of his depth here at DP

This is because you don't understand the difference between freedom of speech and private third party amplification of speech. You have the right to the former in the United States. You have no right to the latter.

Let me put it in simpler terms. You have the right to stand on a street corner and express your opinion. You don't have the right to being handed a bullhorn: if you want one, then it's on you to find someone who's willing to make and hand one to you, and if bullhorn manufacturers don't like your message and don't want to sell one to you, then I hope you have a loud voice because that's the free speech you're going to get.

The operators of this forum are granting you the privilege of amplifying your "speech" so that you can reach all the other participants here. They can take away that privilege at any time, because there is no law that compels them to offer it to you.

But, Gray, if you had a business that sold lawnmowers, you wouldn't want an employee telling customers that it would be better to hire a lawn service. Also, if you owned a social media site, you wouldn't want people using it plot the murders of innocent people.

Like I've heard others say, only a government can censor speech--all other occurrences are private matters.

In a rational society, if you have to lie to survive, you shouldn't survive. Because lies come at a cost to others. That makes the liars parasites. We shouldn't be a society of parasites. Next. what if they had computers and social media before the American Revolution and the French Revolution. In both those historic events, the deaths of others were plotted. And those plotted against weren't innocent. Neither of those historical events were bad things. So if I owned a social media site, I would allow freedom of speech. Next, are you a member of the public? Are you here speaking as a member of the public? Then it isn't a private matter, is it.

This is because you don't understand the difference between freedom of speech and private third party amplification of speech. You have the right to the former in the United States. You have no right to the latter.

Let me put it in simpler terms. You have the right to stand on a street corner and express your opinion. You don't have the right to being handed a bullhorn: if you want one, then it's on you to find someone who's willing to make and hand one to you, and if bullhorn manufacturers don't like your message and don't want to sell one to you, then I hope you have a loud voice because that's the free speech you're going to get.

The operators of this forum are granting you the privilege of amplifying your "speech" so that you can reach all the other participants here. They can take away that privilege at any time, because there is no law that compels them to offer it to you.

Check out post #22.

Back
Top Bottom