• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The latest SCOTUS Decision, Restraining orders

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's the full decision.

Police can't be sued for how they enforce restraining orders, ending a Colorado woman's fight for justice.
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 7-to-2 Monday morning that Jessica Gonzales had no constitutional right to police enforcement of a court order against her husband.

Gonzales claimed police didn't do enough to stop her estranged husband, Simon, from violating a restraining order in June 1999, and taking their three daughters from her front yard.

The man later killed the girls, ages seven, nine and ten. Police found the bodies inside Simon Gonzales' truck after he died in a gun fight with officers.

Jessica Gonzales claimed the restraining order was her 'property' under the 14th Amendment, and that it was taken from her when police failed to enforce it.

Gonzales attorney Brian Reichel says restraining orders are essentially worthless unless police officers are willing to enforce them. He says that if nothing else, his client's case shined the light on a very important issue.

I didn't buy into the property claim in the begginning, and frankly, this is the right decision. However, once I read the decision, I will know a tad more. I think that in the decision the SCOTUS should mention that they want this to happen (the more enforcing) but that they can't enforce it.

Back
Top Bottom