• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Latest: Board to study what do with Confederate statue

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.apnews.com/9964e785ef3a4630b4566b97feb83523

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on a meeting by a North Carolina statewide university board to consider the fate of a toppled Confederate statue (all times local):

2:55 p.m.

The board that oversees North Carolina’s public university system will take more time to study what to do with a toppled confederate monument known as “Silent Sam.”
==============================================
Plans to build a $5M building on the outskirts of the campus to house the statue were put on hold. The statue was toppled during a demonstration.

Is there no Confederate cemetery they could put it?

If anything, it has historic value. I think it is worth a lot more than its melt value for the bronze content.

The racist speech at its dedication, and the hatred filled vitriol and violence by its modern day detractors aside...

Silent Sam stands as a silent sentinel of remembrance of the young men, the students from the University of North Carolina, that left school and served their state in the Civil War and then lost their lives to war at a very young age.

It needs to be where it is, not in a random cemetery somewhere.

The racist speech at its dedication, and the hatred filled vitriol and violence by its modern day detractors aside...

Silent Sam stands as a silent sentinel of remembrance of the young men, the students from the University of North Carolina, that left school and served their state in the Civil War and then lost their lives to war at a very young age.

It needs to be where it is, not in a random cemetery somewhere.

When I was in Germany didn't see any statues at universities dedicated to those who died in World War II.

When I was in Germany didn't see any statues at universities dedicated to those who died in World War II.

After what happened to Germany in WWII, I think they have laws against memorializing anything to do with it.

I've been to Germany a number of times:

Speinshart_World_Wars_Memorial.JPG

war-memorial-for-the-fallen-soldiers-of-world-war-ii-dorf-mecklenburg-ECY6HY.jpg

memorial-to-german-soldiers-who-died-in-world-war-ii-st-barbaras-church-AXA1NG.jpg

Need more?

Your post was unfounded, wrong, and a complete failure. I proved that.

You proved nothing, none of those are on the grounds of major universities. In fact they look like they are pretty isolated. Also notice how none of them are mentioning what they died for.

They should put the confederate statues right next to statues of Karl Malone to remember that both were losers.

Back
Top Bottom