• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Latest: 7 Nooses Found Outside Mississippi Capitol

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A state spokesman says five additional nooses have been found hanging in trees outside the Mississippi Capitol, bringing the total to seven.

The nooses and six handwritten signs referring to the state's history of lynchings and to a U.S. Senate election were found Monday — the day before a runoff between appointed Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, who is white, and Democrat Mike Espy, who is black.

Mississippi being Mississippi. Every negative stereotype you have ever heard about Mississippi is true.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ns-with-nooses-refer-to-mississippi-lynchings

I just want to post a link to some additional facts not directly presented in the USNews link - https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/11/26/Nooses-protest-signs-found-outside-Mississippi-Capitol/4911543269501/

The nooses and signs, apparently, were a protest AGAINST the history of racism. They were hung not to intimidate but to remind voters. To refer to this as a "hate crime" is a mistake.

Examples of the signs were -
"On Tuesday Nov. 27, thousands of Mississippians will vote for a senator. We need someone who respects the lives of lynch victims," a fourth sign read.

"We're hanging nooses to remind people that times haven't changed," the last sign stated.

On cue.

A bunch of idiot leftists made a pathetic little protest display COUNTING on the fact that a bunch of like minded idiots would read a headline and ignore the facts and start their usual idiot "racist" dance.

I just want to post a link to some additional facts not directly presented in the USNews link - https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/11/26/Nooses-protest-signs-found-outside-Mississippi-Capitol/4911543269501/

The nooses and signs, apparently, were a protest AGAINST the history of racism. They were hung not to intimidate but to remind voters. To refer to this as a "hate crime" is a mistake.

Examples of the signs were -

Reading is your friend. From the article.............

"A local television station showed photos of the nooses hanging over tree limbs, and described the rest as "hate signs.""

'Ya know, I have seen many instances of people making stuff up, but I gotta hand it to you. You are Rembrandt.

Mississippi being Mississippi. Every negative stereotype you have ever heard about Mississippi is true.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ns-with-nooses-refer-to-mississippi-lynchings

I have a feeling that these nooses were not flung into trees by white conservatives. The AP quoted 2 of the nooses-accompanying signs:

“We need someone who respects the lives of lynch victims.”

“We’re hanging nooses to remind people that times haven’t changed.”

https://www.apnews.com/e1137934681c42918c780ceb9bdf5f70

Unless it's another hoax.

It wasn't a hoax. It was an anti-racism protest.

The pictures of the signs are here on this Facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/MissDPS/posts/1931408336896201

It's beyond me that people would see this as racist in any way. Then again, we're at a point in our history where common sense and the ability to discern context are utterly lost on a great number of people who only see racism and hate.

Absolutely no call for this. It’s an abhorrent expression of tribalism.

Period

Reading is your friend. From the article.............

"A local television station showed photos of the nooses hanging over tree limbs, and described the rest as "hate signs.""

'Ya know, I have seen many instances of people making stuff up, but I gotta hand it to you. You are Rembrandt.

And researching what actually happened is your friend. The article you cited, and a great many more, focused on "nooses" rather than the combination of nooses and signs which give context to the presentation. Have you heard the term "fake news"? Well, this isn't exactly fake news, it's just stupid news by people who don't have a clue.

The pictures of the signs are here on this Facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/MissDPS/posts/1931408336896201

It's beyond me that people would see this as racist in any way. Then again, we're at a point in our history where common sense and the ability to discern context are utterly lost on a great number of people who only see racism and hate.

So, obviously lefties at work again ...

It wasnt a hoax. It was a dog whistle.

As far as the OP is concerned, it's a hoax. Considering that hoax = deception.

So, obviously lefties at work again ...

I don't know that I'd even categorize it as a "lefty" protest. It actually makes perfect sense ESPECIALLY in light of Hyde-Smith's comment regarding attending a public hanging (which, while utterly stupid, wasn't racist).

It looks to me like a protest against Hyde-Smith and nothing more. Yes, it's provocative but it isn't "racist" and it isn't a "hate crime".

And researching what actually happened is your friend. The article you cited, and a great many more, focused on "nooses" rather than the combination of nooses and signs which give context to the presentation. Have you heard the term "fake news"? Well, this isn't exactly fake news, it's just stupid news by people who don't have a clue.

It isn't fake news at all.

Why is it by definition "stupid news"? What should the AP report on - what the Senator wore to bed last night?

This is news. I find it sick because I don't think anyone should hang nooses, no matter what their reasons.

Last edited:

When the POTUS has just run a campaign based on energizing his base by treating them like cowardly racists, why would anyone think this wasn't racially based? The POTUS of the USA believes the best way to energize nearly half the USA is to use racism and fear. The POTUS. The same guy who led the racist Birther Movement.

It isn't fake news at all.

Why is it by definition "stupid news"? What should the AP report on - what the Senator wore to bed last night?

This is news. I find it sick because I don't think anyone should hang nooses, no matter what their reasons.

It's "fake news" because it essentially ignores the signs and therefore the entire context of the display. It's "fake news" because, through either misunderstanding or direct intent, it portrays the display as something it wasn't and seeks instead to promote an agenda of hate.

It's "fake news" because it essentially ignores the signs and therefore the entire context of the display. It's "fake news" because, through either misunderstanding or direct intent, it portrays the display as something it wasn't and seeks instead to promote an agenda of hate.

No, it isn't fake news. It's real news.

To be perfectly honest at first I thought they were thrown up by some racists. But now it appears to be as you said someone wanting to remind us of the past.

Who ever it was who put them up I think their attempt at some point failed miserably.

There is no denying this sort of crap was done to intimate the blacks early on in our history. I served in the military with a black kid from the south who told me about one time when he was young someone put a burning cross on his family's front lawn.

But I have learned my first instincts were wrong. Perhaps that is the problem with the country in that we just all jump at any news sound bite without further investigations. I know we have a guy in the White House who could learn from that.

To be perfectly honest at first I thought they were thrown up by some racists. But now it appears to be as you said someone wanting to remind us of the past.

Who ever it was who put them up I think their attempt at some point failed miserably.

There is no denying this sort of crap was done to intimate the blacks early on in our history. I served in the military with a black kid from the south who told me about one time when he was young someone put a burning cross on his family's front lawn.

But I have learned my first instincts were wrong. Perhaps that is the problem with the country in that we just all jump at any news sound bite without further investigations. I know we have a guy in the White House who could learn from that.

I truly appreciate your ability to see this for what it was. Whether the protest "failed" or not is a matter of opinion but it sure did expose a level of shallowness and a lack of compassion that, frankly, is being exploited by many in the media.

Back
Top Bottom