• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Last Thing States, Cities Need Is a Taxpayer Bailout

City and state revenue is something that relies on taxation - particularly the property tax and income tax - and often takes months to catch up with economic downturns. I am rather surprised you did not know that.

I do know that.

But don't you think the reduced revenue is just one more reason why cities and states should do like businesses do? You know...lay people off?

Or do you think it's okay for the federal government to bail them out so they don't have to lay people off? If so, then do you also think the federal government should bail out all businesses, as well?

I do know that.

But don't you think the reduced revenue is just one more reason why cities and states should do like businesses do? You know...lay people off?

Or do you think it's okay for the federal government to bail them out so they don't have to lay people off? If so, then do you also think the federal government should bail out all businesses, as well?

The federal government has the ability to borrow money to avoid the type of difficulties you are described. They should step in and assist sate and local governments to avoid even greater difficulties which could well trigger a deeper recession or even a depression.

The federal government has the ability to borrow money to avoid the type of difficulties you are described. They should step in and assist sate and local governments to avoid even greater difficulties which could well trigger a deeper recession or even a depression.

So...you want the federal government to increase deficit spending so that States don't have to manage their money.

No.

So...you want the federal government to increase deficit spending so that States don't have to manage their money.

No.

Do you understand the meaning of the word EMERGENCY?

Do you understand the meaning of the word EMERGENCY?

What have the states done to deal with their emergencies? Have they laid anyone off? Have they reduced spending?

I want to see them do that stuff BEFORE I support Congress giving them taxpayer money.

It seems the GOP plan is to deny cities and states needed revenue which will result in cuts such as defunding police departments.

Shame on them for being against law and order.
Maybe the cities and states should pull back some of that "woke" money.

What have the states done to deal with their emergencies? Have they laid anyone off? Have they reduced spending?

I want to see them do that stuff BEFORE I support Congress giving them taxpayer money.

So you want the Depression to first become real. That is a really unusual way to support your fellow Americans in time of need.

So you want the Depression to first become real. That is a really unusual way to support your fellow Americans in time of need.

???

The depression is already real. Just ask thousands of business owners.

Sorry, but we DO have to choose...just like every business has had to choose.
Government isn't a business. It is government.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

That's no excuse.
It is a reason not to treat them the same. Businesses have no responsibility for the welfare of everyone living within the area where they operate, governments do.

It is a reason not to treat them the same. Businesses have no responsibility for the welfare of everyone living within the area where they operate, governments do.

Again...you give even MORE reason for city and state governments to spend their taxpayer money in the most effective manner...which means tightening their belt, just as every one under them has had to do.

You don't seriously think that every level of government has NO areas in which to reduce spending, do you? You don't seriously think people will suffer if that extra clerk in the permit office ends up on unemployment, do you?

???

The depression is already real. Just ask thousands of business owners.

So the economic need is there to help the American people including levels of government closer to the people.

Again...you give even MORE reason for city and state governments to spend their taxpayer money in the most effective manner...which means tightening their belt, just as every one under them has had to do.

You don't seriously think that every level of government has NO areas in which to reduce spending, do you? You don't seriously think people will suffer if that extra clerk in the permit office ends up on unemployment, do you?
Businesses got assistance because their main contribution to society is providing employment to others. Since city and state governments contribute more to society, they should get more reasons for giving them assistance.

So the economic need is there to help the American people including levels of government closer to the people.

Sure. But the city and state governments are not doing their part to deal with the need. Instead, they want the feds to do it for them.

**** them.

Businesses got assistance because their main contribution to society is providing employment to others. Since city and state governments contribute more to society, they should get more reasons for giving them assistance.

Businesses got the assistance because they had to lay people off and because they were threatened by going out of business.

City and state governments haven't laid anyone off. They aren't going out of business. They haven't taken ANY steps to deal with their crisis. And I disagree that they "contribute more to society".

**** them.

Businesses got the assistance because they had to lay people off and because they were threatened by going out of business.

City and state governments haven't laid anyone off. They aren't going out of business. They haven't taken ANY steps to deal with their crisis. And I disagree that they "contribute more to society".

**** them.
City and states take care of citizens. You’re not telling them to **** off, you’re telling Americans.

It’s so much more devastating to a community when those services are cut off. Much more harmful than a business going under. The two are related. but conservatives don’t understand economics so that’s a convo that’ll go nowhere.

**** them.
What part of those governments do more than just employ people when it comes to what they do for our society, which is what my argument stated, was unclear? If they do more, then it is reasonable to take more into consideration.

I guess you don't run a business that got PPP money. That's not how it worked; don't lie to yourself. It was just free money.

I guess you don't run a business that got PPP money. That's not how it worked; don't lie to yourself. It was just free money.

LOL!!

No...it wasn't "free money".

Hell, do you even know what "PPP" stands for?

Are you serious? I promise I know more about this than you, but let's continue. How is it not free money? You refrain from firing, and the government pays your rent and payroll. How is that not free money? Or did you have a different experience with your PPP loan?

Sure. But the city and state governments are not doing their part to deal with the need. Instead, they want the feds to do it for them.

**** them.

Did you miss the previously posted explanation as to why this is?

Back
Top Bottom