• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The last refuge of a liberal

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
washingtonpost.com

Liberalism under siege is an ugly sight indeed. Just yesterday it was all hope and change and returning power to the people. But the people have proved so disappointing. Their recalcitrance has, in only 19 months, turned the predicted 40-year liberal ascendancy (James Carville) into a full retreat. Ah, the people, the little people, the small-town people, the "bitter" people, as Barack Obama in an unguarded moment once memorably called them, clinging "to guns or religion or" -- this part is less remembered -- "antipathy toward people who aren't like them."

That's a polite way of saying: clinging to bigotry. And promiscuous charges of bigotry are precisely how our current rulers and their vast media auxiliary react to an obstreperous citizenry that insists on incorrect thinking.

-- Resistance to the vast expansion of government power, intrusiveness and debt, as represented by the Tea Party movement? Why, racist resentment toward a black president.

-- Disgust and alarm with the federal government's unwillingness to curb illegal immigration, as crystallized in the Arizona law? Nativism.

-- Opposition to the most radical redefinition of marriage in human history, as expressed in Proposition 8 in California? Homophobia.

-- Opposition to a 15-story Islamic center and mosque near Ground Zero? Islamophobia.

Now we know why the country has become "ungovernable," last year's excuse for the Democrats' failure of governance: Who can possibly govern a nation of racist, nativist, homophobic Islamophobes?

A very enlightening piece and a good read.

I agree with most of that except the part about the "Ground Zero" mosque non-issue. And it must be said that the Tea Party's resistance to the expansion of government power, intrusiveness, and debt is extremely selective.

Why is it that works that people agree with are "enlightened" and works that do not agree with the poster's point of view are "backward"?

Why is it that works that people agree with are "enlightened" and works that do not agree with the poster's point of view are "backward"?

Because obviously they're right, and anyon else is wrong, so therefore must be backwards.

And as for the OP, I've never called the Tea Party racist, I'm all for stopping illegal immigration, I don't view opposition to gay marriage as homophobic, nor to the mosque as islamopobic.

washingtonpost.com

Why do you find it "enlightening and a good read", MrVicchio? All four issues: resistence to government expansion and taxes, illegal immigration, opposition to same sex marriage, and "islamophobia" were issues during the Bush presidency, so how enlightening is it really?

Last edited:
washingtonpost.com

I think it is really 50/50 until you get down towards the bottom 2. Part of the reason for resentment is the reasons mentioned, the other part is a legitmate conversation about trying to come up with a compromise, however in today's political climate those that would like to compromise are thrusted away from the extremist and told to jump party lines if they don't do everything by a little manual that is written for them.

Someday cooler heads will prevail until then the democrats will continue to be like a monkey ****ing a football; whole lot of effort but ain't gettin' anything done.

Biased articles cannot be enlightening as a rule in my opinion. For an article to enlightening it must allow the reader a choice, it has to present information, honestly define the two or more sides to an issue, explain their positions and reasoning, then explain to the reader in unbiased analysis what the result of each side's position would be if implemented. Then a reader knows he can trust the information because it makes no attempt to persuade him to any opinion. THAT is unbiased and THAT is enlightening.

I think it is really 50/50 until you get down towards the bottom 2. Part of the reason for resentment is the reasons mentioned, the other part is a legitmate conversation about trying to come up with a compromise, however in today's political climate those that would like to compromise are thrusted away from the extremist and told to jump party lines if they don't do everything by a little manual that is written for them.

interesting. so if i may ask, where do you stand on those two issues?

:)

interesting. so if i may ask, where do you stand on those two issues?

:)

I feel that they are there as tricks by either party to make people care about **** that doesn't directly effect them or even really matter. While I am indifferent on Cordoba Center they have every right to be there and it can't be any worse than the mosque 2 more blocks from Ground Zero, or the strip club that is just as close. As for the gay marriage thing, I just think it should be nationally put into law that all gay people can marry if they like. These issues are not political at all, they are just made political to get people rallied up, and come after the elections you won't hear one politican or news channel talk about either until the next election cycle.

I feel that they are there as tricks by either party to make people care about **** that doesn't directly effect them or even really matter. While I am indifferent on Cordoba Center they have every right to be there and it can't be any worse than the mosque 2 more blocks from Ground Zero, or the strip club that is just as close. As for the gay marriage thing, I just think it should be nationally put into law that all gay people can marry if they like. These issues are not political at all, they are just made political to get people rallied up, and come after the elections you won't hear one politican or news channel talk about either until the next election cycle.

ah. so on the issues where you differ from the left-political/class-elitist line you agree that of course nuanced people can have good faith disagreements on the issues.

and where you agree with them you are willing to join them in denigrating the opposition.

got it. :thumbs:

ah. so on the issues where you differ from the left-political/class-elitist line you agree that of course nuanced people can have good faith disagreements on the issues.

and where you agree with them you are willing to join them in denigrating the opposition.

got it. :thumbs:

Not at all, the bottom 2 "issues" the islam center and gay marriage are things that should just be left alone. It just makes no sense to get all uppity about something that doesn't directly effect you in any way. This is America and while it is the American thing to bitch about stuff you don't agree with, it is also the American thing to give law abiding citizens the freedom to do what they choose. It's all man is created equal not, "All man is created equal unless your skin is brown or your gay." Like I said though the other half of the stuff, like the whole people not liking Obama because he's black that is prolly half the people out there, the other half probably have a legitamte reason to not like him

Not at all, the bottom 2 "issues" the islam center and gay marriage are things that should just be left alone. It just makes no sense to get all uppity about something that doesn't directly effect you in any way. This is America and while it is the American thing to bitch about stuff you don't agree with, it is also the American thing to give law abiding citizens the freedom to do what they choose. It's all man is created equal not, "All man is created equal unless your skin is brown or your gay." Like I said though the other half of the stuff, like the whole people not liking Obama because he's black that is prolly half the people out there, the other half probably have a legitamte reason to not like him

Want to back that bull **** up with some kind of reference?

Back
Top Bottom