• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The last of the second World War “Few” :(

The landing in Normandy is honored every year on June 6th. And recently, a Yank who met a girl during the war in Eastern France has met her again after an hiatus of almost 75 years*!

Here's a photo of "Frenchy" back then:
SEI_73448242.jpg

They are now living together. Love Conquers All - sometimes sooner and sometimes later ...

*If interested, read about it here.

You wanted to "stand up" whilst bullets were buzzing over your head.
Interesting. Very interesting ... ! ;^)
Usually in this case, "stand up" it is to fall somewhere, if you are in the open and press down to the ground. The machine gun is fun, but the "zushka", a 23mm anti-aircraft twin gun, when it hits ground targets. it's even more fun... There's only a deep trench in this case.

The last defender of the Brest Fortress, Pyotr Kotelnikov, died at the age of 92.
Kotelnikov was the last fighter who defended the Brest fortress during the Great Patriotic War, who survived to this day.
He was born in 1929. In early childhood, he became an orphan and was brought up in an orphanage. He was a twelve-year-old pupil of the musicians' platoon of the 44th Rifle regiment, when the war began. He met the war in the Brest fortress. After the war, he served in Brest for more than 20 years. In recent years, the veteran lived in Moscow.

On April 25, 1945, a meeting was held on the Elbe. The Soviets met their American allies for the first time.
In the photo, platoon commander Alexander Silvashko and reconnaissance group commander William Robertson.
In the second photo - they are the same, 30 years after.

Ez0jERhWQAMq3cB

Ez0jFFkXMAApA-o

WWII will not be forgotten while I live. My British parents and I escaped from France in June 1940 and spent the the rest of the war in London. My father was a veteran of WWI and had spent four years in France and Belgium. He never forgave the Germans and the older I get the more I think he was right. Many more generations must pass before they can be trusted.

Franco-Spanish Josep Almudever Mateu, the last surviving member of the International Brigades, died Sunday in France at the age of 101, we learned from the Spanish Association of Friends of International brigades.

Born in Marseille, Josep Almudever Mateu joined the Republican army at the age of 17 before being wounded during the Battle of Teruel and it was after his convalescence that he joined the International Brigades, a movement of volunteers who counted in its ranks André Malraux, John Dos Passos, Ernest Hemingway or George Orwell.

James Edgar died in Perth, Western Australia, at the age of 101. A native of South Africa, during the WWII he participated in raids on the German-occupied islands in the English Channel, parachuted into the territory of occupied France, helped the partisans, and in 1945 participated in operations in the Japanese rear in Burma.

The last Hero of the Soviet Union of the Second World War died in Ukraine. Major General of Aviation Mikhail Karpeyev. He died in Kharkov at the age of 99
He made more than 300 sorties, 100 of them on IL-2 aircraft with the destruction of enemy equipment and enemy personnel, 100-for reconnaissance and 110-for communication with the partisans. . At the age of less than 23, he received the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.

2631142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom