• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Last of Leeville: Chances Grow Slim for a Wide Spot in the Road in Louisiana

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
washingtonpost.com

LEEVILLE, LA. -- Their eyes are bloodshot. Their scraggy skin glows reddish-brown. They clutch cans of beer. On the wooden deck of Griffin's Marina and Ice, they recoil when approached, like a nest of vipers.

"We used to be fishermen," one sneers, drunk, seething with wounded pride. "But now we work for BP."
For decades, storm surges have swallowed 14 square miles every year in the basins of Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes. Last year the state redirected Highway 1 around Leeville to elevate the hurricane evacuation route. The town's only thoroughfare became a dead end. Now residents worry that a hurricane will drench the area with oil this summer, killing the root structure that keeps the very earth together.

The renters at Leeville RV Park have skipped town, itching to break their year-long leases. Terry Serigny, whose family helped found Leeville and who was raised here on houseboats, turned off the freezers at his bait shop when he closed last month. He hopes to receive a second $5,000 payment from BP soon.

"This is tearing us up," says Serigny, 57. "When everybody looks at each other, you can see it in people's eyes. We've fought recessions, and storm after storm. We can't fight this. . . . I don't have no other place to live. I only went to the sixth grade. It would be hard for me to wear a tie and have a briefcase and look for a job."

Last edited:
"We used to be fishermen," one sneers, drunk, seething with wounded pride. "But now we work for BP."

Three-quarters of the people in Lower Lafourche Parish work in the oilfield, anyway. The rest are either shrimpers, whose customers are mostly oilfield hands, or work in other industries that support the oilfield.

The renters at Leeville RV Park have skipped town, itching to break their year-long leases.

Most of those renters are journeymen, working oilfield jobs.

But, hey, it's WAPO. No one expected them to tell the whole story.

Three-quarters of the people in Lower Lafourche Parish work in the oilfield, anyway. The rest are either shrimpers, whose customers are mostly oilfield hands, or work in other industries that support the oilfield.

Most of those renters are journeymen, working oilfield jobs.

But, hey, it's WAPO. No one expected them to tell the whole story.
Yep, I'll back you on that. Anything south of highway 90 is either seafood, farming or oil, with very few service sectors in between.

EDIT - Fantastic people though.

Yep, I'll back you on that. Anything south of highway 90 is either seafood, farming or oil, with very few service sectors in between.

EDIT - Fantastic people though.

I wish I could remember which leftist it was that called'em all a buncha, "racist coonasses". He knew that, because he spent a couple days in Grand Isle. That's probably why PBO handled this slick with his head in his ass, because they're nothing but a buncha racist coonasses.

I wish I could remember which leftist it was that called'em all a buncha, "racist coonasses". He knew that, because he spent a couple days in Grand Isle. That's probably why PBO handled this slick with his head in his ass, because they're nothing but a buncha racist coonasses.
The level of incompetance and dishonesty is insane.

Back
Top Bottom