• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"the large boulder the size of a large boulder is now a large boulder the size of a smaller boulder on CO 145."

I could hear the rumble, of the first dynamite explosion, 20 miles west of it. Thought it was a military airplane, till I hear it in the news.

hihihihihi
I had to look to see where 145 is. That's a good sized rock.

I could hear the rumble, of the first dynamite explosion, 20 miles west of it. Thought it was a military airplane, till I hear it in the news.

hihihihihi

Would have been kind of cool to watch it.

Would have been kind of cool to watch it.
Memorial rock nearly killed a family. They were driving a long the road when they saw small rocks coming down the mountain. Dad was smart enough to hit the brakes and get the car in reverse. The car got hit by several large rocks, They made it barely out of the zone, when Memorial and its smaller brother came down. The same spring the road up onto the Mesa, were I live, got completely buried, by mini van sized rocks. Took 2 days to get those marbles cleaned up. No blasting, just loaders.
Ruined the pavement quiet a bit. Luckily had enough Bier in the house, so no desperation.

I had to look to see where 145 is. That's a good sized rock.
To get a good feeling for the size. Memorial is about 2 40 feet shipping container wirde and long and 2 shipping container stacked on it.
The new one is just 2 shipping containers, side by side. Crushed could pave a decent drive way, I would say.

To get a good feeling for the size. Memorial is about 2 40 feet shipping container wirde and long and 2 shipping container stacked on it.
The new one is just 2 shipping containers, side by side. Crushed could pave a decent drive way, I would say.

So just a pebble then, lol.

Memorial rock nearly killed a family. They were driving a long the road when they saw small rocks coming down the mountain. Dad was smart enough to hit the brakes and get the car in reverse. The car got hit by several large rocks, They made it barely out of the zone, when Memorial and its smaller brother came down. The same spring the road up onto the Mesa, were I live, got completely buried, by mini van sized rocks. Took 2 days to get those marbles cleaned up. No blasting, just loaders.
Ruined the pavement quiet a bit. Luckily had enough Bier in the house, so no desperation.

It can be pretty scary in the mountains. I've never felt relaxed, just because of rocks. Not to mention some of the passes for their drop offs.

It can be pretty scary in the mountains. I've never felt relaxed, just because of rocks. Not to mention some of the passes for their drop offs.
I used to outfit in the high country, 11 to 14 thousand feed. Always loved it. You crest a pas with your horse look back and see the world under you absolutely fantastic.
Till one day, when a slide took the trail out and me and my horse went down nearly 1 thousand feet. The slide was like a avalanche and we were just floating on top of it, till we hit the tree line.
We got bang up rather good, especially when we hit the trees. Knocked out, both, for some time.
But we were now on different trail and limped out and found some help.
Never felt good in the Mountains again. My trusted horse recovered, but was not good for the Mountains. I retired him. Had a long live on the farm as pasture ornament.

I used to outfit in the high country, 11 to 14 thousand feed. Always loved it. You crest a pas with your horse look back and see the world under you absolutely fantastic.
Till one day, when a slide took the trail out and me and my horse went down nearly 1 thousand feet. The slide was like a avalanche and we were just floating on top of it, till we hit the tree line.
We got bang up rather good, especially when we hit the trees. Knocked out, both, for some time.
But we were now on different trail and limped out and found some help.
Never felt good in the Mountains again. My trusted horse recovered, but was not good for the Mountains. I retired him. Had a long live on the farm as pasture ornament.

Whew. I was afraid to keep reading - I'm glad your horse recovered. And you of course, but you're alive and posting. ;)

I will never forget my dad driving us over independence on the way to Glenwood, before they built the tunnel. Scary.

Dynamite? :unsure:

That would not have been my first choice...very low RE factor.

Yes they are very big rocks.
Closed the road for over a week, till they could built a temporary around the rocks.

Stranded everybody up river, lots of people and the town of Rico, because the pebbles block the way to Cortez and Dolores, were those folks supply.
The upper Dolores River Valley has very steep slopes and the sedimentation layers are a problem.
There are soft layers of gravel, dirt toped with solid rock, than clay, some coal, rock again. The sides of the valley a strewn with gigantic rocks.
That year we had a monster winter, 6 to 7 feet on the ground over 10 feet, even 20 feet in some areas.
Than a warm spring. We are now talking about serious mud, bottom less. The ground was so wet it could not hold those massive rocks, they start slowly to skid, takes days and than they go down the hill.
Very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom