• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Killing Joke

Crovax

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Finally they made it into a movie. The recent DC animated movies have been pretty awful based on the new 52. This one should be really good and they are also showing it in theaters for 1 night.

I already bought my tickets. Anyone else plan on seeing it/buying it?

Batman-The_Killing_Joke_(Blu-Ray-DVD).jpg

I read that comic book when it first came out- I was a freshman in high school. It seems DC is milking every last bit of everything that Alan Moore writes about.

I read that comic book when it first came out- I was a freshman in high school. It seems DC is milking every last bit of everything that Alan Moore writes about.

Well it's just taken them a while to get to this one. Marvel makes all their best storyline into live actions while DC makes them animated. From a financial standpoint it has been a horrible move for DC. They have quite a good collection of animated movies.

Finally they made it into a movie. The recent DC animated movies have been pretty awful based on the new 52. This one should be really good and they are also showing it in theaters for 1 night.

I already bought my tickets. Anyone else plan on seeing it/buying it?

Batman-The_Killing_Joke_(Blu-Ray-DVD).jpg

I want to see it. I'm hoping it'll be good.

Well I went and saw it and was kinda disappointed. The whole first act they added to the story felt forced and unnecessary.

It was fairly good, I thought. The "Batgirl is a horny spaz" storyline tacked onto the first half felt a bit unnecessary. I'd agree with that. However, once they got into the story proper, things picked up quite a bit.

Granted, there were a few creative decisions - some in the comic itself, which I've never read, and some in the adaption - which I couldn't help but question. Mark Hamil, for example, knocked it out of the park as the Joker, but seemed a bit too subdued as the character's pre-Joker persona. When his wife died, he had almost no reaction whatsoever. Maybe they told him to play it that way, to indicate that the individual who would eventually become the Joker was always just a little bit "off." For me, however, it simply fell kind of flat. I also didn't care for all the "freaks" at the fair. I think the story probably would have been better served just using good old fashioned hired thugs.

On the whole, however, I'd say both of those are fairly minor concerns.

Back
Top Bottom