• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Justice Dept. will investigate who leaked the NSA spying

Hey, y'all are getting off topic here! All this legal theory has been cussed and discussed a whole bunch over on the "...The Nixon Theory" thread. You're going over a lot of ground that has been plowed already - which is ok if thats what you wanna do, but???

oldreliable67 said:
Hey, y'all are getting off topic here! All this legal theory has been cussed and discussed a whole bunch over on the "...The Nixon Theory" thread. You're going over a lot of ground that has been plowed already - which is ok if thats what you wanna do, but???

How dare you try to get me back to the issue at hand!

;)

Look, if someone asks me a question, I answer it. What is an intelligent, sexy, assertive woman to do? :shrug:

This entire situation should never have become what it is. Had the administration simply followed the Law, and aquires approval from the courts "After the fact", there would be no story to leak. They did not do so....and there lies the underlying basis for distrust. I am left to conclude one of two things from this move:

1) Someone dropped the ball., and "Forgot" to make these wiretaps legal.

2) Someone knew they would have a difficult time gaining legal wiretaps, and so decided to bypass laws set in place to assure no American Rights were trampled.

Either way....I want to know who this someone is.....and make sure it does not happen again.

aps said:
What is an intelligent, sexy, assertive woman to do? :shrug:

I have a few.....suggestions

tecoyah said:
I have a few.....suggestions

PM them to me, bad boy. :lol:

First, that it not the only piece of evidence that I used to reach my decision.
Since it's the only one you posted, it's the only one I can comment on.

Second, you may not think it is applicable, but I do.
If you think a case involving strictly domestic wiretapping is applicable to a case involving foreign entity wiretaps, then this discussion is hopeless. Especially considering that the SC specifically excluded foreign activities form the ruling.

I'm still trying to figure out what your Rehnquist quote has to do with the discussion.

Gill said:
Since it's the only one you posted, it's the only one I can comment on.

Gill, it would take too long for me to find the articles that I have read on this subject. I worked for one of the judges who is on the FISA court. He has questioned Bush's claimed authority to do this. This judge is brilliant, and that alone is enough for me to question Bush's authority. A constitutional law professor at Georgetown Law Center said she thought that the president had overstepped his power and committed a crime. Now, I am not saying that Bush has definitely overstepped his power--just that my gut tells me he did.

If you think a case involving strictly domestic wiretapping is applicable to a case involving foreign entity wiretaps, then this discussion is hopeless. Especially considering that the SC specifically excluded foreign activities form the ruling.

While the case may not be ON POINT, parts of the discussion have relevance.

I'm still trying to figure out what your Rehnquist quote has to do with the discussion.

Congress had spoken to this issue. It determined that the president would need to get a court order prior to conducting surveillance. What Rehnquist was saying was that where the president commits an act that Congress has spoken to and that act goes against what Congress has stated, the president's assertion of executive power is at its weakest. In that case, Truman did something that went against what Congress had passed, and the justices determined that Truman's act was unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom