• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The joke of academic journals

Where the ones they submitted to "junk publishers"? And if there are "junk publishers" that are part of the peer review process then shouldn't there be something in place that QCs and certifies who actually can be authorized to do such things in an official manner?
You can't be serious. You want some government or academic body to tell publishers what they can publish, and how they decide what to publish? 🤪 :LOL: :ROFLMAO: 😝 o_O

If you're not going to quote the whole comment, move on by. It's dishonest to snip the meat of the comment.

Rofl...this is too rich coming from someone who didn't listen to the video but keeps running his mouth. ****ing hilarious. I know what I did. It was done because there was nothing of value in your quoted post so I took advantage it.

You can't be serious. You want some government or academic body to tell publishers what they can publish, and how they decide what to publish? 🤪 :LOL: :ROFLMAO: 😝 o_O

There can easily be an academic certification body that a publisher can belong to to add credence to what they publish while the others do not have it. But you're too ****ing smart to think of something so simple, eh?

Pardon me, but why would I agree with you when your view and arguments were assuming a broad view when I specifically, multiple time brought this back to the Grievance Theory papers which were the subject of this thread? In post #7, I specifically provided the actual papers which this group wrote and referenced them over and over.

In your respond in your post #8 you stated "You're condemning all of academia" so the bad assumption with no help from me caused both a waste of time and a bad experience in what should have been a casual discussion about an obvious flaw in the humanities, which I pointed out in my post #13,
Again, the exercise proved nothing about a flaw, obvious or otherwise, in the "humanities" because about 99% or more of the "humanities" played no part in the exercise. And you have at time thrown in social sciences into your broad basket, when you weren't referring to 'academia' or 'the academy.'

You're broad brushing again, while denying that's what you are doing. It's kind of funny you think this somehow works as an argument.

There can easily be an academic certification body that a publisher can belong to to add credence to what they publish while the others do not have it. But you're too ****ing smart to think of something so simple, eh?
Well, if you knew anything about 'academia' then you'd know colleges and tenure committees rank publishers internally. In the big research institutions like most state universities, the only publications that count are in the top one or two tiers. All the others go on the CV but you can have 30 pubs in lower tier journals and not get promoted. Those papers aren't necessarily better or worse. In fact, at least in the fields I'm familiar with (part of the social sciences), the top journals tend to prefer the data and econometric heavy papers and disregard more interesting pieces that don't have n's in the 1000s or 10s of thousands or even better in the millions, from proprietary data that's very hard and expensive to compile and reward gearheads, versus thinkers.

But beyond that, some academic globalist committee comprised of elites from a few colleges 'certifying' what journals are worth reading and what scholarship counts because the academic elites have blessed it as sufficiently rigorous sounds interesting! Tell us more!!

Last edited:
tl/dr

"I mean, it's actually quite stupid to look at a few anecdotes in a tiny slice of "the humanities" and condemn the broader "humanities" which describes study in language, religion, history, archaeology, anthropology, and more. You get this, right, and are trolling us? I hope so!!"

tl/dr

"I mean, it's actually quite stupid to look at a few anecdotes in a tiny slice of "the humanities" and condemn the broader "humanities" which describes study in language, religion, history, archaeology, anthropology, and more. You get this, right, and are trolling us? I hope so!!"

"A few anecdotes"...answer this question. Can a Black person be racist?

But beyond that, some academic globalist committee comprised of elites from a few colleges 'certifying' what journals are worth reading and what scholarship counts because the academic elites have blessed it as sufficiently rigorous sounds interesting! Tell us more!!

American Medical Association
You - :sleep:
American Psychological Association
American Peer-review Journal Associate
You - o_O:mad:

"A few anecdotes"...answer this question. Can a Black person be racist?
Yes, but your question has nothing to do with the use of anecdotes in a tiny slice of the "humanities" to condemn a half dozen major academic fields, and hundreds or thousands of minor ones that were not touched in any way by the exercise.

American Medical Association
American Psychological Association
American Peer-review Journal Associate
You - o_O:mad:
That's a hilariously dumb analogy.

Again, the exercise proved nothing about a flaw, obvious or otherwise, in the "humanities" because about 99% or more of the "humanities" played no part in the exercise.
It attempts to point out the flaws, which it did successfully. You're concept of "nothing" is flawed.

And you have at time thrown in social sciences into your broad basket, when you weren't referring to 'academia' or 'the academy.'
Your posts are now misinformation. I've stated multiple times my posts were specific and have proven such. If you cannot be honest and discuss a topic honestly I'd rather you not engage at all.

You're broad brushing again, while denying that's what you are doing. It's kind of funny you think this somehow works as an argument.
I'm sorry you feel the need to lie. I think I'm done. There's no point in communicating if you're purposely committed to false interpretation.

It attempts to point out the flaws, which it did successfully. You're concept of "nothing" is flawed.
Alleged flaws at about 6 journals out of roughly 30,000. Several others rejected the hoax papers, and other journals still had the hoaxes under review. So the exercise demonstrated 'something' about the 48 journals that were part of the exercise (the wiki entry says there were 48 submissions, I assume that means to different journals versus double counting revisions to the same journal) and only 6 of them accepted the papers.

That's the limit of where you can draw conclusions.

Your posts are now misinformation. I've stated multiple times my posts were specific and have proven such. If you cannot be honest and discuss a topic honestly I'd rather you not engage at all.

I'm sorry you feel the need to lie. I think I'm done. There's no point in communicating if you're purposely committed to false interpretation.
I'm not lying - I'm reading your words and using the common meanings of them. If you don't want to condemn all of 'humanities' don't use that term. You can easily refer to the specific journals or to the narrow fields within the broader humanities.

It's your sloppy writing to blame. Don't call me a liar for your own failures to use language in a way that's clear and concise.

Then you're in disagreement with the consensus from that flaming trash heap of "academia".
First of all, you're making a broad brush conclusion with no evidence, at all, zero, and even if your baseless statement you pulled from your backside is true, so what? You're still using anecdotes in a tiny slice of the 'humanities' to condemn the entire broad field, which is quite stupid, actually.

FWIW, here's an article that appeared in the Harvard Crimson, arguing that blacks can obviously be racist, as can people of any color/nationality. The author is a student at Harvard, so part of 'academia' and she's an editor of a publication in 'academia.' So using this anecdote I have proved you entirely wrong!!! Point for me, because cherry picked anecdotal evidence is enough to make broad conclusions about thousands or even millions of people!! I have also presented evidence for my claim, something you didn't do. So point 2 for me!

Last edited:
First of all, you're making a broad brush conclusion with no evidence, at all, zero, and even if your baseless statement you pulled from your backside is true, so what? You're still using anecdotes in a tiny slice of the 'humanities' to condemn the entire broad field, which is quite stupid, actually.

FWIW, here's an article that appeared in the Harvard Crimson, arguing that blacks can obviously be racist, as can people of any color/nationality. The author is a student at Harvard, so part of 'academia' and she's an editor of a publication in 'academia.' So using this anecdote I have proved you entirely wrong!!! Point for me, because cherry picked anecdotal evidence is enough to make broad conclusions about thousands or even millions of people!! I have also presented evidence for my claim, something you didn't do. So point 2 for me!

Your response is something written by a student? Ahh....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!!! And it's written in a college news paper and not even an assignment for a humanities class? ****ing hilarious.

Your response is something written by a student? Ahh....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!!! And it's written in a college news paper and not even an assignment for a humanities class? ****ing hilarious.
Sorry, I thought cherry picked anecdotes proved something about all of academia, or at least all of 'humanities.' The article involved racism, so if that article takes a viewpoint, then I can attribute it to all of "humanities" - I thought. Seems you are telling me this is wrong in this setting, but OK in others. Can you explain? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I thought cherry picked anecdotes proved something about all of academia, or at least all of 'humanities.' The article involved racism, so if that article takes a viewpoint, then I can attribute it to all of "humanities" - I thought. Seems you are telling me this is wrong in this setting, but OK in others. Can you explain? Thanks in advance!

I accept that you have absolutely nothing valid to add. Grasp at more straws.

Where the ones they submitted to "junk publishers"? And if there are "junk publishers" that are part of the peer review process then shouldn't there be something in place that QCs and certifies who actually can be authorized to do such things in an official manner?

You don't understand how any of this works. So pathetic. Please, get out of the anti-intellectual business. Leave that to people with at least associate degrees.

You don't understand how any of this works. So pathetic. Please, get out of the anti-intellectual business. Leave that to people with at least associate degrees.

Ah...you don't have an answer to the question. So who is the one that should get out of the anti-intellectual business then?

Ah...you don't have an answer to the question. So who is the one that should get out of the anti-intellectual business then?

Your arguments are from ignorance. "Well, why don't they apply universal quality standards?"

You know nothing. You took a couple of examples of scams against known junk publishers and you think that discredits science. It's so pathetic. The height of ignorance.

I accept that you have absolutely nothing valid to add. Grasp at more straws.
The use of anecdotes to condemn 'academia' or even the 'humanities' is what's stupid and not valid. Thought this would be clear to a serious intellectual like yourself who claims to be versed in the academic side of the 'humanities.' Guess not. SAD!!

BTW, do you have ANY evidence that the 'consensus' in the 'humanities' is that "Blacks" cannot be "racist"? You asserted it as fact. "Academia" frowns on baseless assertions of fact. Normally if you assert something as fact in the academic community you back it up with, you know, a cite. So just do it. Show us your academic chops!!

Or are you confusing your ignorant opinion with something the rest of us must respect as a fact of some kind? If so that's a grave mistake.

The use of anecdotes to condemn 'academia' or even the 'humanities' is what's stupid and not valid. Thought this would be clear to a serious intellectual like yourself who claims to be versed in the academic side of the 'humanities.' Guess not. SAD!!

This thread is a moronic hit piece against science. For it to be successful, the target audience would need to be Stormfront.

This thread is a moronic hit piece against science. For it to be successful, the target audience would need to be Stormfront.
Getting called a moron and a white supremacist with not a shred of actual substance. I will make a note to create more. Maybe you could see your way to putting in transphobe and xenophobe in one sentence next time. Work on it.

Getting called a moron and a white supremacist with not a shred of actual substance.

You poor little victim. I bet you keep a scrap book of all your imagined slights as you spew idiotic bs across the land.

Back
Top Bottom