• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Jan. 6 hearings have pulled back the curtain on the 'crazies and cowards' around Trump

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Jan. 6 hearings have pulled back the curtain on the 'crazies and cowards' around Trump

iu

In his column for the New York Times, Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman made his case the Republican Party appears to be nothing less than a confederation of "crazies, cowards and careerists," less interested in governing than they are in kowtowing to Donald Trump. Reflecting on the January 6 House hearings investigating the storming of the Capitol by supporters of the former president, Krugman said the GOP stands exposed as members of Congress who could provide testimony refuse to do so, and their colleagues turn a blind eye. According to Krugman what has been revealed thus far "has been riveting and terrifying," he claimed, "realistically there is no longer any doubt that Trump tried to overturn the results of a lawful election, and when all else had failed, encouraged and tried to abet a violent attack on Congress." Adding that he is not a lawyer and is in no position to specify what laws have been broken, he turned his ire on the GOP leadership and the far-right members of Congress who are aiding and abetting Trump -- just so he can keep his 2024 presidential ambitions alive and they can tag along.

"Dozens of people in or close to the Trump administration must have known what was going on; many of them surely have firsthand knowledge of at least some aspects of the coup attempt. Yet only a handful have come forward with what they know," he wrote, "How can we explain this abdication of duty?" "The Republican Party is a far more monolithic entity, in which politicians compete over who adheres most faithfully to the party’s line. That line used to be defined by economic ideology, but these days it is more about positioning in the culture wars — and personal loyalty to Trump. It takes great moral courage for Republicans to defy the party’s diktats, and those who do are promptly excommunicated. "I don’t think it’s a slur on these people’s courage to note that the neocons were always a distinct group, never fully assimilated by the Republican monolith, with careers that rested in part on reputations outside the party. This arguably leaves them freer than garden-variety Republicans to act in accord with their consciences," he suggested before concluding, "Unfortunately, that still leaves the rest. If the Democrats are a coalition of interest groups, Republicans are now a coalition of crazies and cowards. And it’s hard to say which Republicans present the greater danger."

Classical Republicans are being chased away from the party and political stewardship. What is left will be a GOP more fascist and authoritarian than anything previously witnessed in America.

The Supreme Court will soon rule on state legislatures setting their own election rules that supercede any state Constitutional rulings by state Supreme Courts.

If the SCOTUS ruling is yes, and state legislature election rules are sacrosanct, then we may experience our last free and fair election come November.

iu

Classical Republicans are being chased away from the party and political stewardship. What is left will be a GOP more fascist and authoritarian than anything previously witnessed in America.

The Supreme Court will soon rule on state legislatures setting their own election rules that supercede any state Constitutional rulings by state Supreme Courts.

If the SCOTUS ruling is yes, and state legislature election rules are sacrosanct, then we may experience our last free and fair election come November.

This court is now ruled by the crazzies and the autocrats. Justices like Alito, and there are four more on the court, think that liberals are ruining our country and will do anything, and I mean anything including giving up our democracy, to "finish off" the liberals.

iu

Facist! I doubt it. Sounds good as a democrat talking point but it's totally BS.

Corrected thread title...

The Jan. 6 hearings have pulled back the curtain and rolled film on their latest conspiracy movie.​

The Jan. 6 hearings have pulled back the curtain and rolled film on their latest conspiracy movie.​

Please explain in a precise fashion.

The irony/hypocrisy of you calling out the 1/6 committee as a product of a conspiracy is stunning. Or maybe totally expected?

The irony/hypocrisy of you calling out the 1/6 committee as a product of a conspiracy is stunning. Or maybe totally expected?
Only surprising because he took until post # 4 to chime in.

Only surprising because he took until post # 4 to chime in.
Well I appreciate I don't know all that I think I know. Always trying to keep an open mind and brain. Would like to think most of us look at things that way. But I have my doubts.

iu

And we'll be right around the corner from another real civil war.

Poor mycroft, you're so wound up in your conspiracy world you can't see the one you're living. Trump won, the election was stolen, I have the proof but nobody wants to see it. Uh huh.

Question? Do you really think anyone other than liberals care? NO republicans really give a hoot, the man isn't the President and republican think the democrats are a bunch of crooks. Trump Russian Collusion, Ignoring the Summer of love riots,ignoring the Biden family pay for access, questionable investigations for purely political purposes.
So you think any minds are being changed, really?

Back
Top Bottom