• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The issue of race, and a NYT correction

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I came across this correction of a NYT article, buried at the end of a different story, and thought is was kind of weird that this is where it was placed. The article focuses on Newt Gingrich and some of his ideas regarding race relations. The correction from the NYT is related to a previous claim that the Tea Party used racial slurs toward black congressmen, of which no evidence was ever found or presented.

Anyway, race is a really divisive issue in this country, and I would seriously like to know what you guys think could resolve it in a meaningful way. It seems to me that nobody really wants to have an honest dialogue aimed at resolving it, especially politicians who use the issue to divide and conquer and get re-elected. It's an abscess that just sits and stays infective, threatening to burst all over the place, but kept just below the surface well enough that it can't heal.
Imo, the only thing that's ever going to facilitate healing is to open it up to rational discussion, stop dancing around the issue like fools, treat everyone with equality from a legal standpoint, and stop treating people as if they have some type of disadvantage because of the color of their skin. Either that, or wait a few thousand years until there are no more races because we're all the same race :mrgreen:

Anyone have any ideas that can really be implemented rather than dreamy ideals to espouse?

link to the article and excerpt of the correction:

Correction: July 25, 2010
The Political Times column last Sunday, about a generational divide over racial attitudes, erroneously linked one example of a racially charged statement to the Tea Party movement. While Tea Party supporters have been connected to a number of such statements, there is no evidence that epithets reportedly directed in March at Representative John Lewis, Democrat of Georgia, outside the Capitol, came from Tea Party members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/u...l=1&adxnnlx=1281020469-yKt4h8HOH/kAm8drNcToxA

Last edited:
I think the generation that is growing up today may well end race as a major political issue, because most of them don't seem to care about race much at all.

Give it another 20 years, and let Jessie and Al die or retire from the public eye, and it might heal itself.

I think the generation that is growing up today may well end race as a major political issue, because most of them don't seem to care about race much at all.

I hope you're right, but I think there will still be people in the public eye who want to keep it alive and destructive.

Back
Top Bottom